Focal Clear headphones
Aug 21, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #9,826 of 12,543
This is actually a very important matter if one wishes to enjoy music for the remainder of one’s life. My friend ran into similar popping issues with his Utopia a little while back. He phoned me up to tear me a new one - though mostly because I indeed had recommended it to him.
The weekend after we met up at his place along with some other old friends. One of them had brought along an SPL meter per my request as I was interested in finding out more about this clipping issue as well as the volume range this occured at.
Long story short: we found out that he listened to music at around 95-100 dB on average…which is downright hazardous to one’s hearing. We told him about this and he looked somewhat puzzled at me asking ‘hey is that why I’ve been experiencing this high pitched ringing in my ears during the last couple of months?’.

It’s not the first time I’ve experienced this. Trust me…attend a meet with a mulitude of different peeps, and you some times put on a headphone where the last user most likely was trying to drill a hole right down into his skull.
The thing is…when you listen to music at such high volumes you invariably lose out on all the little things in the music simply because your head is being bombarded with sounds that are way too high to be healthy. Such SPLs should preferably be experienced during live gigs with safety earplugs in place:)

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #9,827 of 12,543
Be careful with phone app SPLs. I've seen a difference of 10+ dB between an app on my phone and my Radio Shack SPL (phone app always being lower). That said, provided you measured in the appropriate way (covering one cup with a flat piece of firm material with a single hole for the SPL mic - I use an old CD), even adding 10 dB to your numbers the Clear should not be popping at those levels.

Only other thing that might be causing it at normal levels is an artificial bass boost of several dB via EQ. Are you doing that? If not, I can think of no other rational explanation than the Clears are defective. I would exchange them right away.
I wasn't using any Bass boost or any EQ

Aug 23, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #9,828 of 12,543
Hey, Alan from headphones.com here and got in the Clear Mg that had the popping #9,797.

With my Dangerous Convert 2>Bryston BHA-1 or with the Ampsandsound Forge and intentionally trying some bass heavy music on my end, it doesn't seem to be acting in the same way as it was previously.

Had in few Clear and Clear Mg prior with reported clipping issues and can't seemingly recreate it on my end or on my system.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Aug 23, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #9,829 of 12,543
Hey, Alan from headphones.com here and got in the Clear Mg that had the popping #9,797.

With my Dangerous Convert 2>Bryston BHA-1 or with the Ampsandsound Forge and intentionally trying some bass heavy music on my end, it doesn't seem to be acting in the same way as it was previously.

Had in few Clear and Clear Mg prior with reported clipping issues and can't seemingly recreate it on my end or on my system.

Interesting. Are users reporting these issues possibly using high OI amps?

Aug 23, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #9,830 of 12,543
Interesting. Are users reporting these issues possibly using high OI amps?
In my experience it seems to have been reported all over the place for amps used so hard to notice any consistency myself. Many I noticed had very low OI and I had sent to Focal for repair but they were not able to find anything wrong with the unit on their end as well.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Aug 24, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #9,832 of 12,543
Hey @dontfeedphils and @Netforce, on the topic of using high OI amps with Clear Mg: I have a Feliks-Audio Elise, output impedance around 50 ohms, power output around 200mm, Elise drives my ZMF Auteur beautifully but those are 300 ohms. I am interested in a complementary HP to Auteur and in general planars don't do well with OTL's. Any insight as to how Clear Mg at 55 ohms but high sensitivity might perform with Elise? Sonic differences between Clear Mg and ZMF Auteur would be welcomed as well from anyone who has experience with both. Thanks!

Aug 24, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #9,833 of 12,543
This is actually a very important matter if one wishes to enjoy music for the remainder of one’s life. My friend ran into similar popping issues with his Utopia a little while back. He phoned me up to tear me a new one - though mostly because I indeed had recommended it to him.
The weekend after we met up at his place along with some other old friends. One of them had brought along an SPL meter per my request as I was interested in finding out more about this clipping issue as well as the volume range this occured at.
Long story short: we found out that he listened to music at around 95-100 dB on average…which is downright hazardous to one’s hearing. We told him about this and he looked somewhat puzzled at me asking ‘hey is that why I’ve been experiencing this high pitched ringing in my ears during the last couple of months?’.

It’s not the first time I’ve experienced this. Trust me…attend a meet with a mulitude of different peeps, and you some times put on a headphone where the last user most likely was trying to drill a hole right down into his skull.
The thing is…when you listen to music at such high volumes you invariably lose out on all the little things in the music simply because your head is being bombarded with sounds that are way too high to be healthy. Such SPLs should preferably be experienced during live gigs with safety earplugs in place:)
Well said! I have developed tinnitus despite listening at or under 75 dB range, and while one can adjust it is preferable to prevent it!

Aug 24, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #9,834 of 12,543
Aug 25, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #9,836 of 12,543
What's considered "high"?
Below is the Violectric V90 output chart which is considered high:
> 20,9 Veff in 600 ohms = 730 mW
> 15,2 Veff in 100 ohms = 2300 mW
> 9,4 Veff in 50 ohms = 1780 mW
> 6,4 Veff in 32 ohms = 1300 mW
> 3,0 Veff in 16 ohms = 550 mW

Aug 25, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #9,837 of 12,543
What's considered "high"?

If you simply go by the 1/8th rule then somewhere around 7ohms or so. I'm not sure exactly what level would be too much for the Clear specifically, but I know with a high enough OI the Clear has an emphasis in the bass region (can't remember if it's the sub or mid-bass, I imagine at least some sub-bass).

Aug 25, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #9,838 of 12,543
Hi Everyone!

I'm trying to find a 4.4mm balanced non horribly overpriced/magic pixie dusted cable for my Clears. I've been looking around for options and needless to say it is very difficult to find something that is quality and not priced astronomically in europe.

Does anyone know if these cables would work on a focal clear with a 4.4mm balanced jack?

https://mezeaudio.eu/collections/accessories/products/99series2-5-balanced-cable

Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #9,839 of 12,543
Hi Everyone!

I'm trying to find a 4.4mm balanced non horribly overpriced/magic pixie dusted cable for my Clears. I've been looking around for options and needless to say it is very difficult to find something that is quality and not priced astronomically in europe.

Does anyone know if these cables would work on a focal clear with a 4.4mm balanced jack?

https://mezeaudio.eu/collections/accessories/products/99series2-5-balanced-cable

Thanks!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Core-Ear...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back