Focal Clear headphones
Aug 19, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #9,797 of 12,550
So I just got the Focal Clear MG brand new headphones from headphones.com couple days ago. And every time I play a song with decent / deep Bass, it makes these crakle / popping noises. I've recorded a little video here. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my headphones? And anyone with the Clear or Clear MG have this issue as well? any infos would be appreciated it.

Aug 19, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #9,798 of 12,550
So I just got the Focal Clear MG brand new headphones from headphones.com couple days ago. And every time I play a song with decent / deep Bass, it makes these crakle / popping noises. I've recorded a little video here. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my headphones? And anyone with the Clear or Clear MG have this issue as well? any infos would be appreciated it.

Oh my. That does not happen with mine. I'd disconnect everything and reconnect it to make sure there's no connection issues. If it happens again I'd be looking into a replacement.
I run mine on a Mjolnir 2 on high gain and jam pretty loud(85db peaks) and everything is pristine sounding.

Aug 19, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #9,799 of 12,550
Oh my. That does not happen with mine. I'd disconnect everything and reconnect it to make sure there's no connection issues. If it happens again I'd be looking into a replacement.
I run mine on a Mjolnir 2 on high gain and jam pretty loud(85db peaks) and everything is pristine sounding.

Yea I've tried with different cables and different DAC / Amp as well as 2nd PC too. And the issue still persist. So you think I should return it and get another one? or should I just go for the Hifiman Arya?

And no one else on this forums have this issue with their Focal Clear / MG?

The song I was testing in the video is this
Can anyone else listen to this song and tell me if you have this popping noise issue with your headphones? Also don't put the headphones on your head, just leave it open on the desk.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #9,800 of 12,550
Yea I've tried with different cables and different DAC / Amp as well as 2nd PC too. And the issue still persist. So you think I should return it and get another one? or should I just go for the Hifiman Arya?

Can anyone else listen to this song and tell me if you have this popping noise issue with your headphones? Also don't put the headphones on your head, just leave it open on the desk.

I'll definitely give it a listen when I get home. Does that noise happen with all music or just that song?

Aug 19, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #9,801 of 12,550

Instead of that track, try this dude, this is more extreme than yours imo, i wonder if you experience the same, i had elear instead of clear MG, I listened your track and yes, the pop/crackle happened but only on very loud volume, it's not bothering me in normal level listening, try also this track and in same volume level maybe it's more apparent, this track need me to do lower adjustment even more than your track to avoid those crack/pop issue.

Aug 19, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #9,802 of 12,550

Since these are headphones, designed to be used sealed against the head, testing them lying open on the table is outside the design parameters.

The Focal Clears are known to have excursion limits which can be reached when listening to music with very low frequency content at very high volume. When my original Clears were new, I was able to reach that limit with the Bladerunner track, linked above. I tried your track and the Bladerunner track now, and was not able to reach the limits, playing as loud as I could comfortably listen.
So either my Clears don’t have this issue any more, or I can’t listen as loud any more as I did 8 months ago

Aug 19, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #9,803 of 12,550
Since these are headphones, designed to be used sealed against the head, testing them lying open on the table is outside the design parameters.

The Focal Clears are known to have excursion limits which can be reached when listening to music with very low frequency content at very high volume. When my original Clears were new, I was able to reach that limit with the Bladerunner track, linked above. I tried your track and the Bladerunner track now, and was not able to reach the limits, playing as loud as I could comfortably listen.
So either my Clears don’t have this issue any more, or I can’t listen as loud any more as I did 8 months ago

So you mean it is caused by the Excursion limit inside the headphones? And it is not an issue with the headphones?

Aug 19, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #9,804 of 12,550
I'll definitely give it a listen when I get home. Does that noise happen with all music or just that song?
That song and any song with a deep bass
Instead of that track, try this dude, this is more extreme than yours imo, i wonder if you experience the same, i had elear instead of clear MG, I listened your track and yes, the pop/crackle happened but only on very loud volume, it's not bothering me in normal level listening, try also this track and in same volume level maybe it's more apparent, this track need me to do lower adjustment even more than your track to avoid those crack/pop issue.

Yea the Blade Runner soundtrack is worst.

Aug 19, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #9,805 of 12,550
So you mean it is caused by the Excursion limit inside the headphones? And it is not an issue with the headphones?
Not necessarily.
The Clears are simply not designed for massive sub bass at very high volume. Closed headphones or planar magnetics are a better choice for that.
But to test if this is a limitation for your use case you have to listen to them, on your head. The test you are describing, playing them open on the table, is meaningless and you might kill your headphones by overloading the drivers. It makes no sense and does not tell you anything meaningful.

Aug 19, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #9,806 of 12,550
Not necessarily.
The Clears are simply not designed for massive sub bass at very high volume. Closed headphones or planar magnetics are a better choice for that.
But to test if this is a limitation for your use case you have to listen to them, on your head. The test you are describing, playing them open on the table, is meaningless and you might kill your headphones by overloading the drivers. It makes no sense and does not tell you anything meaningful.

I put them on my head, I can still get the popping noises, but it's less when I have them on my head.

Aug 19, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #9,809 of 12,550
I have listened to your song and I'm very familiar with the blade runner track. Not sure what decibel levels you are reaching to get the MG to make those noises but I can not get my MG pro to do it. I maxed out what my ears are capable of hearing longer than 30 seconds and I'm 46 and don't have the best hearing. I couldn't get my OG pro to clip with the blade runner track when the topic came up last year.

So... yeah. Definitely get a new pair and go from there.

Aug 19, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #9,810 of 12,550
Yeah, one of the first tracks I tested with my brand new Focal Clears and I hear nothing unusual - but my listening level usually tops at about 87 dB, I can’t listen much louder than that or it just hurts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back