Focal Clear headphones
Aug 20, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #9,811 of 12,543
So I just got the Focal Clear MG brand new headphones from headphones.com couple days ago. And every time I play a song with decent / deep Bass, it makes these crakle / popping noises. I've recorded a little video here. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my headphones? And anyone with the Clear or Clear MG have this issue as well? any infos would be appreciated it.

Nothing wrong with your cans, the Elear and Utopia behave the same when driven higher than their handling threshold, just lower the volume and enjoy the music.

Aug 20, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #9,813 of 12,543
Unless the Clears are defective, you might want to take it as a warning that you're listening too loudly. You should get an SPL meter and measure the dB level at your normal listening level. You might be surprised how dangerously loud you're used to listening.

If the SPL shows normal listening levels when the Clears "clip," then they're defective. Otherwise, you should learn to listen at lower levels to save your hearing. Just a suggestion.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #9,814 of 12,543
Unless the Clears are defective, you might want to take it as a warning that you're listening too loudly. You should get an SPL meter and measure the dB level at your normal listening level. You might be surprised how dangerously loud you're used to listening.

If the SPL shows normal listening levels when the Clears "clip," then they're defective. Otherwise, you should learn to listen at lower levels to save your hearing. Just a suggestion.

Right, I rarely hear anyone mention what, even roughly, the level they're using when their Focals clip. I use an app on my phone, obviously that's not a well calibrated way to measure it by any means but gives a rough measure. I suspect they are listening at levels that are quite high.

I have seen it on rare occasion that someone does give a measure and it does in fact bear out that their headphones really are defective -- and yeah, in that case, they should be returned immediately for replacement.

For me, if they were clipping at 87 dB, even 90 dB, I'd consider them "defective" since while I don't listen consistently at that level, I've measured actual music I'm listening to sometimes peak around those levels during some of my loud listening sessions.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #9,815 of 12,543
Yea but I listen a little bit louder, i was surprised for a $1500 headphones to behave like this. Im going to return it and get the Arya instead

Just so you know, I've got the Arya's and I'm running them out of the Benchmark DAC3-B and HPA4, and that Bladerunner OST still has quite a bit of buzz and fuzz in the bass on the first track. It's just in the recording. Frankly, it's downright shameful coming from Hans mf Zimmer working on a Hollywood budget to hear that kind of hash in the final mix.

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #9,816 of 12,543

I just use my phone app to record the SPL level, and it 's around 65-70db when the thing starts to get popping noises. So is that normal?

Ok for the Blade Runner track, the SPL level was only 55-60db and it already started making these loud popping noises, so yea I think it's def defective .

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #9,817 of 12,543
Just so you know, I've got the Arya's and I'm running them out of the Benchmark DAC3-B and HPA4, and that Bladerunner OST still has quite a bit of buzz and fuzz in the bass on the first track. It's just in the recording. Frankly, it's downright shameful coming from Hans mf Zimmer working on a Hollywood budget to hear that kind of hash in the final mix.
Yea but at least the Arya doesn't make that popping loud noises for a $1500 headphones

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #9,818 of 12,543
Yea but at least the Arya doesn't make that popping loud noises for a $1500 headphones

True. But, I've never had the Clear make those popping sounds either. Even when I was still auditioning before purchase or testing them within the return window after purchase with very rumbly bass and way too much volume for my ears. Not that it makes you feel any better, but if yours do that, they're probably out of spec and (hopefully) qualify for a warranty claim.

To echo others' advice, try to measure the SPL, just to see what you're dealing with. If the clip under 90db on a test tone, they defective for sure. DecibelX is a free app that measures reasonably well and will let you ballpark it before you take further steps. Best of luck, man.

Aug 20, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #9,819 of 12,543
True. But, I've never had the Clear make those popping sounds either. Even when I was still auditioning before purchase or testing them within the return window after purchase with very rumbly bass and way too much volume for my ears. Not that it makes you feel any better, but if yours do that, they're probably out of spec and (hopefully) qualify for a warranty claim.

To echo others' advice, try to measure the SPL, just to see what you're dealing with. If the clip under 90db on a test tone, they defective for sure. DecibelX is a free app that measures reasonably well and will let you ballpark it before you take further steps. Best of luck, man.
Yea I already measured the SPL level with my phone app, the Blade Runner soundtrack started making those popping noises at around 55-60db level. So yea I'm going to send back the headphones today.

Aug 20, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #9,820 of 12,543
Sounds like something's wrong with your pair...never had this issue with my Clears or Elegias even when I'm listening at loud levels.

Hope you enjoy the Aryas!

Aug 20, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #9,821 of 12,543
Be careful with phone app SPLs. I've seen a difference of 10+ dB between an app on my phone and my Radio Shack SPL (phone app always being lower). That said, provided you measured in the appropriate way (covering one cup with a flat piece of firm material with a single hole for the SPL mic - I use an old CD), even adding 10 dB to your numbers the Clear should not be popping at those levels.

Only other thing that might be causing it at normal levels is an artificial bass boost of several dB via EQ. Are you doing that? If not, I can think of no other rational explanation than the Clears are defective. I would exchange them right away.

Aug 20, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #9,822 of 12,543
I just use my phone app to record the SPL level, and it 's around 65-70db when the thing starts to get popping noises. So is that normal?

Ok for the Blade Runner track, the SPL level was only 55-60db and it already started making these loud popping noises, so yea I think it's def defective .

Well, if you are actually hearing clipping and it's not just a noise from the source material, that would definitely be a defect in something in your chain, for sure, if you're hearing it at 60 dB.

Aug 21, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #9,823 of 12,543
So I just got the Focal Clear MG brand new headphones from headphones.com couple days ago. And every time I play a song with decent / deep Bass, it makes these crakle / popping noises. I've recorded a little video here. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my headphones? And anyone with the Clear or Clear MG have this issue as well? any infos would be appreciated it.

This is the excursion clipping inherent to the Focal design as a few people mentioned. it is possible that yours clip at an unreasonably low volume but you might also be either bass boosting intentionally or through impedance mismatch which could cause this.

This is also a good point. I will sometimes find that my ears ring when I take my other headphones off which tells me that I am listening too loud; with my clears this usually doesn't happen because they clip before I get too much prolonged high volume listening in. Think about it as an unintended gift.

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #9,824 of 12,543
Yea but I listen a little bit louder, i was surprised for a $1500 headphones to behave like this. Im going to return it and get the Arya instead
No matter what volume, the Ananda will handle it well and so does the Arya 👍👍

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #9,825 of 12,543

Users who are viewing this thread

Back