Focal Clear headphones
Apr 16, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #9,406 of 12,550
As long as the person you're buying from has a receipt for the headphones from an authorized dealer you would be covered as Focal changed their policies on warranty to be transferrable.

Warranty varies per Headphone (Clear, Stellia are 3 years, Utopia is 5). I'd also double check and make sure the headphones were purchased in the same country as you. If not, they'll have to be sent to whatever country there purchased from for warranty.

I can't speak to pricing on repairs. I know headband repairs can be fairly pricey. Not sure about driver replacements.
A quick note that Focal were wonderful (as was my local dealer) and replaced my Elear drivers under warranty, with the only cost to me being $20 in freight. This was after a low-bass clipping issue arose.

Excellent service, and after 100 hours of (careful) break-in, the Elears sound spectacular.

Apr 17, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #9,407 of 12,550
Considering getting a Focal Clear, but I owned an Elegia for a bit before and ultimately had to return it as my ears touched the driver. Would I encounter the same problem with the Clears? How do they compare comfort-wise?

Apr 17, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #9,408 of 12,550
As long as the person you're buying from has a receipt for the headphones from an authorized dealer you would be covered as Focal changed their policies on warranty to be transferrable.

Warranty varies per Headphone (Clear, Stellia are 3 years, Utopia is 5). I'd also double check and make sure the headphones were purchased in the same country as you. If not, they'll have to be sent to whatever country there purchased from for warranty.

I can't speak to pricing on repairs. I know headband repairs can be fairly pricey. Not sure about driver replacements.
When I asked a Focal rep, they said the same thing in terms of warranty length for the Clears (3 years) but when I went in and registered the headphones online and printed out the warranty certificate, it said 24 months. Do you know the reason for the inconsistency?

Apr 17, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #9,409 of 12,550
When I asked a Focal rep, they said the same thing in terms of warranty length for the Clears (3 years) but when I went in and registered the headphones online and printed out the warranty certificate, it said 24 months. Do you know the reason for the inconsistency?

Focal sucks at updating their website.

Apr 17, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #9,410 of 12,550
Considering getting a Focal Clear, but I owned an Elegia for a bit before and ultimately had to return it as my ears touched the driver. Would I encounter the same problem with the Clears? How do they compare comfort-wise?
I do not have the problem with the Stellia, which are a different pad material (leather). I had it really bad with the Clear MG Pro, on top of the material feeling really cheap. I have heard the older pads on the clears are better but it seems to be really inconsistent.

Apr 18, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #9,411 of 12,550
Were I to buy Focal Clear MG phones, how likely is it that I will have that nagging thought in the back of my mind 'I should have bought the Utopias'? I am coming from HD800S, and would be happy to buy TOTL headphones. As many of you own Clears, do you see it as a step on the ladder to owning the Utopias down the line?

Apr 18, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #9,412 of 12,550
Hi everyone, received a pair of focal clear professionals a couple of days ago, and so far I'm absolutely loving them. I've been using my Audeze LCD2C'S for a couple of years so they are my reference.

I was initially a bit worried that after using the Audeze for so long, I might find the Clears to be bright and fatiguing over time (I can legit listen to the classics for 8+hours with zero fatigue, apart from neck fatigue lol) but to my pleasant surprise I don't find the Clears fatiguing whatsoever.

Compared to the LCD's, the bass weight and texture is not quite as good, but it's still really enjoyable. But I really feel that's about the only leg up that the Audezes have. On all other fronts the Focal is just more impressive.

The clarity is amazing, and it's so easy to pick up on the little details in every song. The headset is definitely not as laid back as the Classics, as it kind of demands your attention. I think the sightly smaller soundstage adds to this feeling. That's not to say it's claustrophobic or anything, as I find it sounds natural in terms of soundstage width. The imaging is also superb and it's really easy to place individual instruments in the song.

Comfort is also a big improvement due to the weight and comfortable pads, and subjectively I think the pros are drop dead gorgeous with the dark red, black and silver aesthetic. Stunning.

Early days I know, but so far I'm really impressed with the headphone, especially also considering that I got them (used) for $750. They still look brand new though.

Currently running them via the single ended output of my matrix hpa-3b amp fed by the iFi micro idsd DAC and streaming via tidal hi-fi/MQA. Haven't yet experimented with EQ, as I'm enjoying the stock response so far. If anything I'd probably add a few db of subbase but we'll see.

Apr 18, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #9,413 of 12,550
Were I to buy Focal Clear MG phones, how likely is it that I will have that nagging thought in the back of my mind 'I should have bought the Utopias'? I am coming from HD800S, and would be happy to buy TOTL headphones. As many of you own Clears, do you see it as a step on the ladder to owning the Utopias down the line?

I haven’t heard the MG yet, but if it is anything like the OG Clear, really take a listen first before spending $1500 on it because the HD 800S is not a worse headphone, it simply has a different presentation, so it all comes down to taste.

And to me, if you own a Focal headphone already, why buy an other Focal headphone as they all have a similar “house sound”. If you buy a Focal Clear for example, I would consider complimenting it with a nice planar headphone or electrostatic rather than the Utopia, to diversify your “pallet”.

So either go for the Utopia or Clear MG, but not both. Unless you are loaded with money of course :p

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #9,414 of 12,550
I spent a good chunk of time demoing the Clears vs HD800S (ended up with Clears). It was such a tight battle, honestly I liked various things about both, in many ways I preferred the HD800S, but the Clear just complimented my current gear better.

I’d think long and hard about getting Clears if you own HD800S, mostly because you already have one great open backed headphone. If you’re striking for a Utopia, or even Stellia, both of which are more accomplished than the Clear to most ears, why not enjoy your HD800S for some more time while you save?

I can see why someone would have a HD800s and a Clear, they are very different, but i’m not sure if itd be wise if there is any financial constraint lol.

Apr 18, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #9,415 of 12,550
I haven’t heard the MG yet, but if it is anything like the OG Clear, really take a listen first before spending $1500 on it because the HD 800S is not a worse headphone, it simply has a different presentation, so it all comes down to taste.

And to me, if you own a Focal headphone already, why buy an other Focal headphone as they all have a similar “house sound”. If you buy a Focal Clear for example, I would consider complimenting it with a nice planar headphone or electrostatic rather than the Utopia, to diversify your “pallet”.

So either go for the Utopia or Clear MG, but not both. Unless you are loaded with money of course :p

Thank you both for the replies :)

My expectation is to only have one of the HD800S or Clears. I am awaiting today a Hifi Man Arya set to demo, which might fit with your suggestion as to having a planer headphone.

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #9,416 of 12,550
Thank you both for the replies :)

My expectation is to only have one of the HD800S or Clears. I am awaiting today a Hifi Man Arya set to demo, which might fit with your suggestion as to having a planer headphone.
Curious to know what you think about the Arya. I got a Clear and really love it but my decision was between the Clear and the Arya ($600 more expensive). I think due to the price difference and the Clear having more elements of what I want in a headphone I went for it, but it seems like a lot of people prefer the Arya.

Apr 18, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #9,417 of 12,550
I have both the Clear and the Arya and they're really quite complementary. The Clear I find is more engaging, dynamic and better for JPOP, modern pop music and rock while the Arya is my go-to if I want something immersive and I plan on listening to something like classical, acoustic, or jazz (not to say they're genre-limited since IMO they're two of the most versatile headphones in the market). They get about equal headtime for me. You can't go wrong with either.

Apr 18, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #9,418 of 12,550
I have both the Clear and the Arya and they're really quite complementary. The Clear I find is more engaging, dynamic and better for JPOP, modern pop music and rock while the Arya is my go-to if I want something immersive and I plan on listening to something like classical, acoustic, or jazz (not to say they're genre-limited since IMO they're two of the most versatile headphones in the market). They get about equal headtime for me. You can't go wrong with either.
Yeah that’s why I ended up going with a Clear. I listen to a wide variety but my primary genres are rock and hip hop. But yeah as you said they’re both good enough to be like a jack of all trades.

I prefer the Focal build/look too. And being easier to drive was a big selling point for me.

Apr 19, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #9,419 of 12,550
Finally my set from Hart Audio Cables has arrived, consisting of the HC-9 + IC-7 + Multi-Kit 1 for the Clears.
I think never gonna have any Adapter problem anymore!

2021-04-19 15.56.56.jpg

I also have ordered a HC-4 + IC-7 for my DT1770/1990.

Apr 19, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #9,420 of 12,550
I can't speak for Focal but I believe it's more than likely just something that hasn't been updated. Warranty on the Clears is 3 years at time of purchase.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back