Focal Clear headphones
Jan 13, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #8,536 of 12,550
Too bad Chord doesn't make a standalone dedicated headphone amp for their Hugo dacs (or any other source). Could use my Hugo 1 as a dac / pre amp. With the Hugo TT 2, one is forced to use the Hugo 2 inside it for dac. Kind of a waste of a great sounding, high power, output stage. Hugo 1 and Hugo 2, as amps, are missing a few Watts :xf_wink: to make totl headphones justice.

It sounds like you're under the impression the the TT2 and Hugo 2 share the same DAC section/setup, and that's definitely not the case.

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #8,537 of 12,550
It sounds like you're under the impression the the TT2 and Hugo 2 share the same DAC section/setup, and that's definitely not the case.
Doesn't matter, I couldn't care less what anyone thinks it's inside, my point was I would like Chord to make a headphone amp that has their house sound, 'cos their output stages are really something else.

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #8,541 of 12,550
The big deal is there is no big deal. My ears are bleeding yet still not clipping. All kind of conspiracy theories coming up on that other forum. Funny how most people there are saying "thanks for saving me $1500", "aha gotcha Focal", "Busted" etc. While their master doesn't wanna hear about the possibility that the unit was an exception and not the norm. Could have at least disclosed at what level and frequency range was the clipping being triggered. Nope. Not relevant. Still my best jack of all trades headphones ever. Haters gonna hate.

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #8,542 of 12,550
The big deal is there is no big deal. My ears are bleeding yet still not clipping. All kind of conspiracy theories coming up on that other forum. Funny how most people there are saying "thanks for saving me $1500", "aha gotcha Focal", "Busted" etc. While their master doesn't wanna hear about the possibility that the unit was an exception and not the norm. Could have at least disclosed at what level and frequency range was the clipping being triggered. Nope. Not relevant. Still my best jack of all trades headphones ever. Haters gonna hate.

There are reports of clipping at "normal" high (80dB) listening levels, which rarly occur.
Seems to be a problem from batch to batch, some have it, many doesn't.

I for myself listening more quite with the Clear, then i did with the DT1990.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #8,544 of 12,550
Yeah, that would explain the mixed reports. Mine is an early batch from 2017.

Mine is from October 2020 and never had any clipping occur, even with listening levels way beyond what im comfortable with.

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #8,545 of 12,550
"Reports of clipping" at a specific dB level are questionable because most of these reports are based on someone guessing the dB level where this happens or taking a measurement with an SPL meter inside the earcup. The actual SPL where this happens (on some Clears) could easily be 100 dB at those times.

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #8,546 of 12,550
OK just listened to the original bladerunner yes it clips but at pretty.high levels that I would go deaf. To be honest, I could tell by the way my sublac was moving that it was loud. And I would say this is over 80db.

U would say its reached its max loudness really and its a safety measure that it's in place.

Am I going to send them back no. I'm going to listen to them and my level and enjoy them .

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #8,547 of 12,550

Agree.

If I understand correctly, Jude uses a measuring rig with anatomic features (head and ears) where as the other site mentioned uses a measuring rig that is a flat plate. Headphone seal is critical to accurate measurement. It is unclear if the other site does a reliable or good job ensuring seal. Look at his review of the Diana V2.

If anyone goes to the other site mentioned and reads the reviews, understand the reviewer's tone is to test expensive audio gear and "debunk" their value over budget or less expensive gear.

As for me, I've never had clipping issues with the clears (owned since 2018) or elgeias even when playing bass boosted music. Then again, I'm not interested in trying to prove that $40 headphones are as good as $1500 headphones.

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #8,548 of 12,550
And I would say this is over 80db.

I'm not arguing with your conclusions about the headphones, but I am questioning your methods. How do you know it was over 80 dB? You didn't measure it, so you're estimating. Have you ever had an opportunity to guess at the SPL of various sounds to see how accurate you are? Most charts estimate 80 dB as the sound level of city noise on a busy city street, while 70 dB is around the SPL of normal conversation.

This is not personal. I am suggesting, as I have in other posts, that listeners' opinions of how loudly their Clears were playing when they heard clipping are likely inaccurate. I would guess the level at which they heard clipping was actually A LOT higher than they have estimated.

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #8,549 of 12,550
Agree.

If I understand correctly, Jude uses a measuring rig with anatomic features (head and ears) where as the other site mentioned uses a measuring rig that is a flat plate. Headphone seal is critical to accurate measurement. It is unclear if the other site does a reliable or good job ensuring seal. Look at his review of the Diana V2.

If anyone goes to the other site mentioned and reads the reviews, understand the reviewer's tone is to test expensive audio gear and "debunk" their value over budget or less expensive gear.

As for me, I've never had clipping issues with the clears (owned since 2018) or elgeias even when playing bass boosted music. Then again, I'm not interested in trying to prove that $40 headphones are as good as $1500 headphones.

I’m not sure which web site you’re referring to, but I have noticed over the years that not everyone testing audio gear knows a lot about how to test or takes the time to do it properly. I’ve also noticed some sites have clear biases for and against some gear. There is at least one site out there with audio professionals doing testing and I usually go there if I want meaningful and comparable test results.

I should add that on that particular site, there isn’t much if any discussion of the Clear clipping issue even though it’s a pretty popular headphone amongst the members.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #8,550 of 12,550
I’m not sure which web site you’re referring to, but I have noticed over the years that not everyone testing audio gear knows a lot about how to test. I’ve also noticed some sites have clear biases for and against some gear. There is at least one site out there with audio professionals doing testing and I usually go there if I want meaningful and comparable test results.

I should add that on that particular site, there isn’t much if any discussion of the Clear clipping issue even though it’s a pretty popular headphone amongst the members.

The website referenced in the post below and subsequent discussion on this thread. I don't know the exact rules of Head fi, but I do know the mods aren't super fond of referencing certain websites

Check out this review of the Focal Clear by a professional engineer that use to be VP of Digital Media at Microsoft.

I quote
"First and second tracks sounded good and then BAM! The headphone jumped its gap resulting in nasty static/crackling sound. The kind of sound that stops your heart beating for a few seconds! Basically the driver is running out of travel and going outside of the magnetic field and then jumping back suddenly. I hear this routinely in cheap bookshelf speakers when driven by high amplification and deep bass. I could get this to happen even in instrumental/female vocal tracks!

Granted, we boosted the EQ but I have boosted EQ much more in other headphones and they can handle with ease. Not so with Focal Clear. Still, I turned off the EQ and turned up the volume and there it was again: nasty clicks. Granted the level was pretty loud now but not outside of what would be listenable.

Searching online, I see references to Clear "clipping." I suspect this is what they are talking about. If so, it is real flaw in this headphone

The Focal Clear "out of box" (no EQ) response is closer to what we like to see so tonality is not too bad as is. Equalization can take its performance significantly higher but due to poorly designed drivers with too little headroom, this is not a practical path unless you keep volumes low. Without EQ is less of a problem but you would face some brightness and some lack of clarity. At these prices we better not have such compromises.

I can't recommend the Focal Clear with or without Equalization. I expect more from a company like Focal with incredible vertical integration to build drivers and such."

Fan boys BTFO.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/focal-clear-review-headphone.18585/

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back