Focal Clear headphones
Jan 16, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #8,566 of 12,550
So did I, too much bass for my taste. I still prefer my Clear w/o any sort of EQ in conjunction with the 35Ω output impedance of my Titanium HD.
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD? Don't you have a headphone amp? :p

So I tried that 2049 track with the EQ boost from the screenshot before. I managed to make 'em clip with 2V line input into my Mjolnir, pot at one o'clock, at around mark 1:55 into the track. EQ APO pre amp was at -10dB. This was way above the SPL that anyone could be listening to. My ears are ringing. I'm pretty sure that has to do with the virtually free edge driver design, to maximize dynamics. As Focal wrote about it before, and seems legit to me. Whoever complains about clipping at the SPL level that I experienced it: "that's not how headphones are mean't to be used". Can't see any fault in this. Terrific headphones. If those guys on the other forum got it to clip at a much lower level, then yes, I can see the problem. Too bad they didn't measure it.

Focal explanation (from here):
"What you are describing is a known phenomenon but it is not a defect of the helmet.
Let me explain, we made a choice in the design of our high-end helmets. The latter were designed to respect as much as possible the dynamics of the audio signal rather than the compression dynamics which would offer a higher SPL but would respect less the audio signal. In short, we preferred to favor the acoustic quality at the SPL, which allows us to benefit from optimal performance until the heightening occurs (the click heard). So, on some songs, at very low frequencies or at very high volume, you can hear this click. This also exists on hi-fi speakers.
Therefore, swapping in your helmet will not change anything.
The only solution we offer is to listen at a lower volume.
Best regards,
Marine, Focal Community Manager "

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #8,567 of 12,550

So I tried that 2049 track with the EQ boost from the screenshot before. I managed to make 'em clip with 2V line input into my Mjolnir, pot at one o'clock, at around mark 1:55 into the track. EQ APO pre amp was at -10dB. This was way above the SPL that anyone could be listening to. My ears are ringing. I'm pretty sure that has to do with the virtually free edge driver design, to maximize dynamics. As Focal wrote about it before, and seems legit to me. Whoever complains about clipping at the SPL level that I experienced it: "that's not how headphones are mean't to be used". Can't see any fault in this. Terrific headphones. If those guys on the other forum got it to clip at a much lower level, then yes, I can see the problem. Too bad they didn't measure it.

Focal explanation (from here):
Agree as enjoyable listening volumes are normally below clipping barriers in non faulty 🎧

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #8,568 of 12,550
I'd appreciate if someone with the CHORD Hugo 2 could tets their Clears for clipping since I am not sure if mine are within specs. They do clip at high (but not crazy) volume, without EQ.

Using this track: https://tidal.com/browse/track/79530261 directly from Tidal (100% volume) via USB from the PC to Hugo 2, no EQ.
At the 12" mark I get clipping at 4 clicks dow from line level (or 4 clicks up from the dark blue volume setting).
At 6 clicks below line level I get through the whole track without clipping.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #8,569 of 12,550
Seems clipping is the new trend around 🥸
Trying hard to clip my Ananda for quite sometime now to no avail. Should I be worried??? 😛

Jan 16, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #8,570 of 12,550
Why would I need additional amplification?

but it is not a defect of the helmet.
Gotta love google translate. *chuckles*

Jan 16, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #8,571 of 12,550
I'd appreciate if someone with the CHORD Hugo 2 could tets their Clears for clipping since I am not sure if mine are within specs. They do clip at high (but not crazy) volume, without EQ.

Using this track: https://tidal.com/browse/track/79530261 directly from Tidal (100% volume) via USB from the PC to Hugo 2, no EQ.
At the 12" mark I get clipping at 4 clicks dow from line level (or 4 clicks up from the dark blue volume setting).
At 6 clicks below line level I get through the whole track without clipping.

Thanks in advance!

I can't test that exact scenario since I have Utopia rather than Clear, but I can say that I know that's louder than I have ever listened on the Hugo 2, by a decent margin.

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #8,572 of 12,550
Speaking of EQ, I personally think the right EQ settings transform this headphone from excellent to truly incredible.
I couldn't agree more.

EQ just turns the Clears into something else...and it's already pretty amazing lol

Recently I purchased the new(ish) iFi iDSD NEO and while it's missing features and that the amp section is fairly underpowered considering the price....it's a damn good pairing with my Clear Pros when it comes to synergy, heh

IMG_4398 Lower Res.jpg

IMG_4392 Lower Res.jpg

Jan 16, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #8,573 of 12,550
Why would I need additional amplification?
I know this is the place that was meant to save one's wallet... but we all know how that turned out. Had that feeling you might be hiding a bunch of head amps from us... :spy:... this being head-fi.org and all... sometimes I plug the Clear into my laptop's headphone output and wonder...

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #8,574 of 12,550
I know this is the place that was meant to save one's wallet... but we all know how that turned out.
I have no idea what you are talking about. *whistles in an innocent manner*

Unbenannt.png

Jan 17, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #8,575 of 12,550
So last night I had a few glasses of wine, and just listened to music, all I can say is wow these are amazing. My listening volume did increase to really loud but did not clip with the music I was playing. Yes I've had them clip but that's at extreme loudness.

So all in all I'm happy. Well I need a longer cable but around a metre longer would have been great.

Jan 17, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #8,576 of 12,550
So last night I had a few glasses of wine, and just listened to music, all I can say is wow these are amazing. My listening volume did increase to really loud but did not clip with the music I was playing. Yes I've had them clip but that's at extreme loudness.

So all in all I'm happy. Well I need a longer cable but around a metre longer would have been great.
A longet cable would be the Utopia or Elear (same)

Jan 17, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #8,578 of 12,550
Jan 18, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #8,579 of 12,550
Do any of you think the Focal Clear would be appropriately driven by a Fiio M15 or have paired it with the M15?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back