Focal Clear headphones
Jan 3, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #8,371 of 12,550
Switching from the Heresy to Magnius/Modius remedied the issues I had. Smoother experience now and the fatigue is mostly gone!
So the Heresy was a mismatch 👍

Jan 3, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #8,373 of 12,550
I've used both the Asgard 2 and Magni 3+ with my Clears and liked both. Using a Modius for a DAC.
Ever tried Violectric? It’s what Sennheiser test all their cans

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #8,375 of 12,550
No, I haven't. Besides the Clears I do own HD650's and I've used a Rupert Neve RNHP and Bellari HA540 MK2 with those. Sold those before I bought the Clears though.
As far as I know the Clear is not hard to drive nor it requires a dedicated amp

Jan 3, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #8,376 of 12,550
The Clears have a sensitivity of 110.6 dB / volt input; in comparison, the LCD-X has a sensitivity of 108.4 dB / volt input. The Clears are quite efficient and do not require a dedicated amp. They will benefit from one with the payoffs being dynamic range and resolution. Currently, my favourite h/p amps for driving the Clears are: LP (by Cavalli), a hybrid tube-ss, and the Violectric V280, solid-state, both in balanced mode.

Jan 3, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #8,378 of 12,550
Honestly, I'd rather have an Elex and a modest DAC and amp than a Clear running straight out of a computer or phone. They can technically be run without dedicated gear upstream, but what a waste.

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #8,379 of 12,550
Honestly, I'd rather have an Elex and a modest DAC and amp than a Clear running straight out of a computer or phone. They can technically be run without dedicated gear upstream, but what a waste.
Agreed, specs might show that you can run them out of your laptop but these still prefer a good amp to none.

Jan 4, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #8,380 of 12,550
The Clears have a sensitivity of 110.6 dB / volt input; in comparison, the LCD-X has a sensitivity of 108.4 dB / volt input. The Clears are quite efficient and do not require a dedicated amp. They will benefit from one with the payoffs being dynamic range and resolution. Currently, my favourite h/p amps for driving the Clears are: LP (by Cavalli), a hybrid tube-ss, and the Violectric V280, solid-state, both in balanced mode.

I had them both once, just additional info, LCD X is for me is easier to drive than clear or elear in the same dac/amp and portable amp i tested (CMA400i/dx160), for same volume level, for example LCD X in 10 o'clock and Clear at 12 o'clock in same low gain, maybe if someone wanted easier to drive headphone, LCD X is the better on that, in term of loudness level, basically more efficient than clear.

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #8,381 of 12,550
I noticed a massive increase in the speed and control of the low end when I moved from a Magni to a THX789. The 789 sounds considerably better than anything else I've run the Clear from: Massdrop LCX, direct from SoundBlaster Z and AE-9, Heresy, FiiO Q5 and BTR5, Direct from phone and iPad, Scarlett 2i2.

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #8,382 of 12,550
In fact the amp is not only a power source for the can, it's a voice signature. The more the power reserve the more command over the headphones, the cleaner the stereo path over separate internal architecture the better the imaging. Toroidal power supplies are a must in any respectful amp, separate toroidal PS will even work as 2 dedicated amps.

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #8,383 of 12,550
I find the Clear to have a little treble sheen / metallic character that is nicely addressed with tubes. Hybrid tube amps may be the best option in most cases given the relatively low 50 ohm impedance of the Clear, but a tube amp like a DNA Starlet with a low output impedance will work well too. I drive mine with a Schiit Lyr 3. My Woo Audio WA6-SE doesn’t do quite as well- it’s 15 ohm output impedance causes the bass to be a little uncontrolled.

Jan 4, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #8,385 of 12,550
Maybe the Modius takes the treble sheen off. I'm currently using a Magni 3+ with the Modius and couldn't be happier. I'm using the Modius as an external DAC on an older Marantz CD5003 deck. I'm still a CD/record luddite.
Its possible. I hear it pretty clearly on my old Magni 2 and Modi 2U, but the modius and Magni 3+ are better. It’s also possible you don’t hear the sheen. A lot of people don’t, including people who have much better hearing than I do. Perception of sound is pretty individualistic and just because it bothers me on some tracks doesn’t mean it will bother you. Either way, if you don’t hear it, don’t worry about it. If you do, a tube amp may help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back