Focal Clear headphones
Dec 17, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #8,281 of 12,550
So just purchased the professional ones, I like how you got the extra pads.

I will be using these to mix trance music with, which hopefully the will give me nice clarity. I need them to be pretty neutral for this.

I'm not too bothered about being bass heavy as long as its tight. As I have a subpac, to feel the really low end.

I can't go to a shop to try but at least I have a 30 day money back guarantee.

Looking forward to them,.

Anyone else mixing with them. And how do they translate.

I have a pair of focal solo 6be to reference anyway.

Oh and hi guys new guy here.

Dec 17, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #8,282 of 12,550
So just purchased the professional ones, I like how you got the extra pads.

I will be using these to mix trance music with, which hopefully the will give me nice clarity. I need them to be pretty neutral for this.

I'm not too bothered about being bass heavy as long as its tight. As I have a subpac, to feel the really low end.

I can't go to a shop to try but at least I have a 30 day money back guarantee.

Looking forward to them,.

Anyone else mixing with them. And how do they translate.

I have a pair of focal solo 6be to reference anyway.

Oh and hi guys new guy here.
I've been listening to my Clear Pros for about a month and do not find them bass heavy. I don't use mine for mixing just listening.

Dec 17, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #8,286 of 12,550
They aren't bass-heavy. They don't sound bass heavy to me, and none of the measurements you can find on the internet show a bass heavy frequency response curve.

Sorry I know their not bass heavy i was just stating a fact that I don't want bass heavy headphones as they tend to muddy up the low end when mixing,

And these sound from what people are saying very neutral sounding headphones. Maybe the 6k mark a little bright.

Dec 18, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #8,288 of 12,550
It's not straightforward to assume the intention as being "obvious" when there is inconsistency. The Focal Elegia as a counter example, has a coloured white or grey headband depending on how you see it, but they chose the pads to be black instead - which does not indicate their intention as "obvious" as you would say.

Aesthetic preference, similar to sound preference, is subjective as well. IMO it looks great with black pads as it can be seen from The Headphone Show changing the pads. This is one of those scenarios where to each their own looks.

For one, assumptions can be made for any scenario, that's why it's an assumption. What you shouldn't "jump to" are conclusions, because there is lack of concrete evidence to back up a conclusion. Assumptive claims or conjecture can be made in any case. That's why my statement started with "Probably" and not "The fact is".

Now, I don't quite understand why my comment is 'cynical' as you would describe it. Any for profit company like Focal will be looking to generate the most revenue, that should be common sense from a business perspective. How a company attains the most revenue they could get is dependent on their strategy and other factors. I should probably have made more clear that when I gave that comment, it was a combination of two things about the Focal Clear replacement pads:
  • The colour and material chosen has already raised concerns in different forums (including this thread) about longevity and durability - given how quick the material loses colouration + retains oil from skin and hair similar to alcantara pads from Shure, lending to faster wear and tear (noticed this on my pads so I have to consistently wipe the pads gently every after use)
  • The replacement cost is higher than replacement pads for competing brands in the same price bracket (i.e. ZMF costs 35% of Clear pads, Audeze is about 50%)
So to clarify, it's not just about "chose the colour to drive post-purchase pad sales". It's a little more than that.

Given how some of the competition price their replacement pads, why is Focal pricing theirs as such? My suspicion (assumption), is that replacement pads is one way for Focal to generate the most revenue for their ROI with the Clear, given ear pads are one of those pieces in a headphone that can be easily replaced - so aftermarket sales is another area they could focus on. There will be a time owners of the Clear will need to replace pads for whatever reason (i.e. loses it's padding/cushion, deformation, material degradation), and this is one area they can generate more revenue.

Given the points above, it makes one skeptical of such an approach when you compare what they're doing in relation to what other competitors in the market are doing.
This business model could also limit sales of the Clear due to the well known word out there about the poor pad quality and the excessive replacement cost. In other words prospective buyers could put pads in the con/negative column if considering choosing to go with Focal because it's going to cost more in the long run versus other headphone considerations.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #8,289 of 12,550
This business model could also limit sales of the Clear due to the well known word out there about the poor pad quality and the excessive replacement cost. In other words prospective buyers could put pads in the con/negative column if considering choosing to go with Focal because it's going to cost more in the long run versus other headphone considerations.
While this (and a better price) did steer me toward the Pro, I would've still purchased them even if the Pro option didn't exist.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #8,290 of 12,550
I also dislike how expensive replacement pads are but I just love the Clears anyway, especially considering how they were on the edge of still being affordable to a poor grad student like me (bought them used for 800€).

Dec 18, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #8,292 of 12,550
While this (and a better price) did steer me toward the Pro, I would've still purchased them even if the Pro option didn't exist.
I also went for the Pro version because it came with another pair of ear pads. Although it will be tough to keep the ear pads clean, I intend to use a headband cover to keep the non-replaceable (?) red headband cushion from getting ugly.

Dec 19, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #8,293 of 12,550
I received my Clear Pros yesterday and I was SO HYPED. Naturally, I immediately plugged them in to my WM1A with DMP-Z1 FE firmware in the -admittedly underpowered- single ended output experimenting on both low and high gain. Sound was okay, very clear with no pun intended, but one thing became instantly noticeable: you could tell the bass was lacking extension, physicality, punch, dynamics... everything. So I let them play for the whole night expecting to spot a difference today, yet here I was met again with the same result.

Until I decided to plug them in to my desktop pc with an onboard solution, just to check. and Voila! Bass was finally in the building.

Thing is, since I intend to use the Clear with my DAP, I have high expectations that the balanced cable I've ordered will alleviate the single-ended output issues. Somebody please reassure me this will be the case :D

Dec 19, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #8,294 of 12,550
I received my Clear Pros yesterday and I was SO HYPED. Naturally, I immediately plugged them in to my WM1A with DMP-Z1 FE firmware in the -admittedly underpowered- single ended output experimenting on both low and high gain. Sound was okay, very clear with no pun intended, but one thing became instantly noticeable: you could tell the bass was lacking extension, physicality, punch, dynamics... everything. So I let them play for the whole night expecting to spot a difference today, yet here I was met again with the same result.

Until I decided to plug them in to my desktop pc with an onboard solution, just to check. and Voila! Bass was finally in the building.

Thing is, since I intend to use the Clear with my DAP, I have high expectations that the balanced cable I've ordered will alleviate the single-ended output issues. Somebody please reassure me this will be the case :D

WM1A is a bit thin in character, so I don't think balance plug will change anything.

ZX507 will produce fuller sound, but come with small power. My suggestion is change to Cayin N6II or use some kind o DAC/Amp like Mojo, Hugo 2 or Woo WA8.

Dec 19, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #8,295 of 12,550
Hmm, never before have I felt that the 1A is even close to being thin, let alone know that it packs the DMP-Z1 firmware which gives it a smoother and warmer signature.
I'll further experiment by changing the region or reverting back to stock firmware just to spot the differences. Hmmm... Any 1A and Clear users able to chime in as to how they feel about this particular pairing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back