Focal Clear headphones
Dec 7, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #8,266 of 12,767
I had no more patience to wait until Clear reveal full potential for sound, so today I went to my local shop and exchanged my new unit to an old demo unit and absolutely no regrets for that at all!
The old Clear unit sounded just fantastic with full potential in its sound signature without any sharpness even on high volume, just absolute piece of joy for me...
I have also compared it to Utopia, while listening A->B and Clears are still winner for its overall musicality and tonal balance for my taste. Utopia was sounding with ultra detail retrieval resolution, more technically and allways with instruments a bit more forward and less revealing in vocals. For me it lacks musicallity and overall joy of listening, too much details revealing for me... :) So now I'm ultimatelly happy with the right choice that I made today... :)))
But, I'll add that, thinner pads will brighten them up substantially. Later runs of Elex pads were found to be thinner. Is it because pad fabric was expected to loosen up and bulk them over time or just an error, idk. But, it's worth experimenting with pad thickness to make the treble sound less compressed. The problem is, no third party pads have the diffusion fabric inside like the original Focal pads have. So, beside messing with the expensive original pads, there is no certain alternative to them. I wouldn't be surprised if the demo pair did exhibit thicker pads (i.e. put more distance between the ear and the driver).

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #8,268 of 12,767
good that with Focal Clear Pro we have a spare pair of pads.
Definitely rather have extra pads than extra cables. At least that's my choice.
The Clears are definitely unlike any headphone that I've ever owned. Of course $500 was the most that I've ever paid too before the Clears.

Dec 7, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #8,269 of 12,767
I found the original (that's the shop info) Focal Clear pads for 99 € here (is a spanish web-shop and I haven't bought there)... I was impressed, because I have read in this thread that they cost 200 €.

There are also a Utopia original pads for 250 €.

Dec 7, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #8,270 of 12,767
That was the price for one unit usually, should check before buying, to make sure, 'cos I've seen other sellers advertising as if it's the price for a pair and then acknowledging the mistake. Looks like Utopia pads are sold packaged as a pair only, from what I've seen.

Dec 9, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #8,272 of 12,767
Well, sent them a message, they don't ship international, and they did not want to confirm it's the price for a pair. It's funny, a lot of businesses from Spain, most of those I've checked, refuse EU sales for some reason.

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #8,273 of 12,767
Dec 15, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #8,275 of 12,767
Pulled the trigger on the Focal Clear Professional yesterday. Hopefully they will get here by Christmas.
I like the color of the pros and the extra pads too. The only downside that I found is the cable selection. The coiled is cumbersome and the other one is short, like you'd use with your phone in your pocket or something. I ordered a quality six foot extension cable to use with the short one for the time being. It works out well for now.
My go to headphone before the Clears were the Sennheiser HD650s. The Clears are a totally different listening experience. The Clears also benefited with a 100 hours or so of playing but then again is it the headphones breaking in or me getting used to them? I'd swear the bass is punchier and the treble is tamed. But maybe my brain is breaking in. Anyway, congratulations on your purchase. I really love mine.

Dec 15, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #8,277 of 12,767
I like the color of the pros and the extra pads too. The only downside that I found is the cable selection. The coiled is cumbersome and the other one is short, like you'd use with your phone in your pocket or something. I ordered a quality six foot extension cable to use with the short one for the time being. It works out well for now.
My go to headphone before the Clears were the Sennheiser HD650s. The Clears are a totally different listening experience. The Clears also benefited with a 100 hours or so of playing but then again is it the headphones breaking in or me getting used to them? I'd swear the bass is punchier and the treble is tamed. But maybe my brain is breaking in. Anyway, congratulations on your purchase. I really love mine.
I'm looking forward to hearing them with my Modi MB and Project Ember. Currently I use the HD650 and HD58X with this setup. The short cable might work well since this is my beside setup. I may also consider a balanced cable for my main system (RME ADI-2 DAC & Violectric V280).

Dec 16, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #8,280 of 12,767
I bet Metallica sound amazing on the Clears!! Sorry but it was necessary...again.

Except the Album "Death Magnetic" this Album was crap... but the Clear still sound fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back