Focal Clear headphones
Nov 17, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #8,191 of 12,597
Leaning towards a Liquid Platinum and/or a Cavalli Tube Hybrid myself to try some other tube hybrids; I have an original Lyr atm but had to use an IEMatch to lower gain and noise floor since the hum is unbearable with the Clears! Even plainly detectable but bearable with HD600, not noticeable when something is playing but if I listen at low volume it's always there.

Anyone who uses the LP with your Clears - since it doesn't have a gain switch - do you notice hum or noise?

Maybe I'm pretty sensitive to it, being used to a very black solid state background... it used to be noise came with the tube territory but lots here seem to recommend a variety of tube amps and hybrids with the Clears so im assuming it's less of an issue these days?

I'll have to try other tubes at some point I suppose but new electro-harmonix shouldn't be too noisy I would think..

Nov 18, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #8,195 of 12,597
Yes, but I am a little confused because there are some ratings from Thomann where some people describe that one clear has worse sounding then another. Thomann also sells the pro's.

They're the exact same headphones besides the included accessories and colorway. Anyone saying otherwise is misinformed.

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #8,197 of 12,597
I just received new Custom Infinity Series cables for my Clear from Impact Audio Cables:
Eidolic E-T4PR 4-Pin XLR, gunmetal, silver carbon fiber
Edolic E-SXAM gunmetal, silver carbon splitter
Eidolic 3.5mm TRS gunmetal
Sleeve colors: Silver Grey and Charcoal Grey
Cable: "The wire I use is custom manufactured 26awg OCC copper wire with a PE insulation. It's top quality wire and I'm very happy with it's characteristics. The cable is constructed using four wires with each conductor then individually sleeved. It is then hand braided in a round litz configuration to help reduce EMI or RFI interference."

So far, they sound great and are so much more flexible than the Focal cables. And, obviously, they match perfectly. I have several other cables from Impact Audio and all are great

IMG_1207.jpeg

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #8,198 of 12,597
Leaning towards a Liquid Platinum and/or a Cavalli Tube Hybrid myself to try some other tube hybrids; I have an original Lyr atm but had to use an IEMatch to lower gain and noise floor since the hum is unbearable with the Clears! Even plainly detectable but bearable with HD600, not noticeable when something is playing but if I listen at low volume it's always there.

Anyone who uses the LP with your Clears - since it doesn't have a gain switch - do you notice hum or noise?

Maybe I'm pretty sensitive to it, being used to a very black solid state background... it used to be noise came with the tube territory but lots here seem to recommend a variety of tube amps and hybrids with the Clears so im assuming it's less of an issue these days?

I'll have to try other tubes at some point I suppose but new electro-harmonix shouldn't be too noisy I would think..
I rotate Clears with the HD 600 when using the LP — my favourite amp to drive the Clears. I have had no issues with hum. A great tube that is not astronomically priced is the Gold Lion / Genalex 6922. As for other 6922s or equivalents,

The Liquid Platinum is my favourite hp amplifier, of four that I own, to drive the Focal Clears. I have had no issues with hum. A great set of tubes, which are not astronomically priced, to use in the LP are the Gold Lion / Genalex 6922s: deep taut bass, full body midrange, ethereal treble.

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #8,199 of 12,597
While impatiently waiting for a dac/amp to arrive I've installed trial version of EQ software Boom 3D and to my surprise it does amazing job for focal clear. No EQ preset, just fidelty option on and it smoothens the sound across whole spectrum, I can feel the presence of bass finally, in my case this is night and day difference. From thoughts to maybe sell clear to definitely not...It is already late here and I should go to sleep, but can't stop listening to music now...how can software increase SQ by such a large margin, I can feel that volume is increased as well, I've dropped from usual 50%-60% to 30-40% :)

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #8,200 of 12,597
I rotate Clears with the HD 600 when using the LP — my favourite amp to drive the Clears. I have had no issues with hum. A great tube that is not astronomically priced is the Gold Lion / Genalex 6922. As for other 6922s or equivalents,

The Liquid Platinum is my favourite hp amplifier, of four that I own, to drive the Focal Clears. I have had no issues with hum. A great set of tubes, which are not astronomically priced, to use in the LP are the Gold Lion / Genalex 6922s: deep taut bass, full body midrange, ethereal treble.
Thanks for the opinion! Gold Lions are still $135+ CAD for a matched pair it seems but not outrageous, I guess. Plenty of raves about the LP out there, but also a lot of good things said about the CTH too surprisingly with the Clears. I'm keeping an eye out, they both go fast on the used market at the right price for sure

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #8,201 of 12,597
Hows their soundstage and imaging in general and compared to arya , 1990 pro and argon mk3? Also I listen to rock,metal,jazz,soundtracks,indies,classical and pop and blues . Do clear performs well for all these genres?

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #8,202 of 12,597

I have a LP running to my Clears right now. Dead silent from one end of the dial to another. Running a THX 788 in single ended pre-amp mode to the Liquid Platinum. Definitely a great choice! It opened up soundstage for me compared to the THX 788. I'm a pretty big fan, but it runs pretty hot!

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #8,203 of 12,597
Thanks for the opinion! Gold Lions are still $135+ CAD for a matched pair it seems but not outrageous, I guess. Plenty of raves about the LP out there, but also a lot of good things said about the CTH too surprisingly with the Clears. I'm keeping an eye out, they both go fast on the used market at the right price for sure

Also noticed you're from Canada too! Where are you buying tubes from locally? I'd like to find some new ones to roll with.

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #8,204 of 12,597
I have a LP running to my Clears right now. Dead silent from one end of the dial to another. Running a THX 788 in single ended pre-amp mode to the Liquid Platinum. Definitely a great choice! It opened up soundstage for me compared to the THX 788. I'm a pretty big fan, but it runs pretty hot!
Nice! Good to know. I have a 788 as well, I'm running it to my 1st gen Lyr occasionally - no need to tell me about heat - that one doubles as a radiator! haha

Also noticed you're from Canada too! Where are you buying tubes from locally? I'd like to find some new ones to roll with.

I just ordered from Partsconnexion so far, I've searched around quite a bit and its a bit limited on this side of the border, isn't it. Of course there are deals on Canuck Audio Mart as well if you're on there. I have yet to splash out on NOS tubes yet though! Might have to start trying soon though..

Nov 23, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #8,205 of 12,597
I'm a new Clear owner. Any opinions on using a tube amp like a schiit Valhalla 2 with the Clears?

I listened to the Focal Clear cans in this configuration:

Chord 2go/Hugo 2 (3V RMS line level out) > Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline II "The Raptor" Headphone Amp > Focal Clears

Great sound. The Focal Elears also sound good here.

For what it's worth these are the tubes I use for my RSA Emmeline II "The Raptor": Sylvania JAN 5814A JHS Black Plates D Getter (Input)/TungSol 5687 JAN Black Smooth Plates D Getters (Output)

To answer your question, the Focal cans sound really good with a tube amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back