Focal Clear headphones
Oct 31, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #8,086 of 12,550
I actually find the Clears so dynamic that they are a bit fatiguing and I think I tend to listen at lower volumes than I even expected. Turning them up to the maximum I could listen at (or even a bit more) and putting an SPL meter app on and putting my phone mic in the ear cup (not the most reliable but it should at least give an idea) it rarely gets even to 75db; so maybe that's why?

Hmm for extended periods, 75dB is plenty.
I typically listen at 85dB but my ears are less sensitive than the average humans by around ~7dB. So we at a similar volume.
I do like to crank it for brief periods but I never had the protection kick in on music.
I baited it once with the Bladerunner 2049 soundtrack's insane subbass but even that was too loud to actually listen to.
If I had an AVR with a low output impedance, I doubt I would run into it on movies either.

Yeah the Clears are efficient headphones and sound good out of most gear
Agreed. I thought about getting an ADI-2 DAC but they sound so fantastic just driven by my Titanium HD, that I am holding off on dumping more cash until the cards driver no longer works / the card goes belly-up.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #8,087 of 12,550
For me the only downside so far are the cables, but since i opted for the Pros beause of the color scheme and the pads, i should not moan.
I just have to wait for my custom cables then all should be fine.

Oct 31, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #8,088 of 12,550
I use a Dragonfly Cobalt with an iPad Pro / MacBook Pro. I've been very satisfied with it. Not really a DAP person as I don't commute or play music at work. It's all around the house / away on holiday stuff for me. It's better on my desktop setup but still very enjoyable portable.

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #8,089 of 12,550
Whaz output impedancedoes the S1 habe.
cannot find any measurement.
the 32 ohm from the HP seems to be not correct
should be someting between 0,5 and 3 ohm
does anyone habe information therefore?
Clear has 55 Ohm

dragonfly red has 1,2 ohm
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rements-of-dacport-hd-and-dragonfly-red.5977/

These measurements are only to show that S1 can provide up to that many mW to 32Ohm headphones. I think actual impedance of S1 should be around 1ohm
The sound quality is through the roof for such dongle though, nothing is forced with S1, technical but pleasant sound. After few listening sessions I have sold all of my portable amps, would be very happy if it will be able to drive clears. I had dragon fly red and if people used it with clear it gives me a hope for S1 :)

Oct 31, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #8,090 of 12,550
Has anyone had any experience using the XDUOO TA-10 hybrid tube amp with the Clears? I’m curious if they would be a good pairing.

Oct 31, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #8,091 of 12,550
For me the only downside so far are the cables, but since i opted for the Pros beause of the color scheme and the pads, i should not moan.
I just have to wait for my custom cables then all should be fine.
I went with the Pros too and have been using the coiled cable. It works well but there's definitely an aftermarket cable in my future too. First thing I'm doing is upgrading from my Asgard 2 to the Asgard 3.
I have around a 100 hours on my Pros now and really loving them.

Oct 31, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #8,092 of 12,550
I went with the Pros too and have been using the coiled cable. It works well but there's definitely an aftermarket cable in my future too. First thing I'm doing is upgrading from my Asgard 2 to the Asgard 3.
I have around a 100 hours on my Pros now and really loving them.

I am also using the coiled cable but it nearly pulls down my ADI-2 from my nightstand, since it isn't stretching easy.
Let's hope that my Sky Audio Cables doesn't take to long to be made and arrive from UK.

Nov 1, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #8,094 of 12,550
I went with the Pros too and have been using the coiled cable. It works well but there's definitely an aftermarket cable in my future too.
Oof I tried that one but it is just so heavy and annoying. I usually use the small 1m cable and a cable extension.

Though since I now have bought soldering equipment and successfully resurrected my poor DT-880, I might look into making my own Clear cable some day when bored enough. :D

Nov 1, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #8,095 of 12,550
Oof I tried that one but it is just so heavy and annoying. I usually use the small 1m cable and a cable extension.

Though since I now have bought soldering equipment and successfully resurrected my poor DT-880, I might look into making my own Clear cable some day when bored enough. :D

Nice one! I'd like to do that to mine.

I just give my DT880's with the annoying coiled cable to my girlfriend when we watch movies etc, she doesn't seem to mind haha

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #8,096 of 12,550
I am also using the coiled cable but it nearly pulls down my ADI-2 from my nightstand, since it isn't stretching easy.
Let's hope that my Sky Audio Cables doesn't take to long to be made and arrive from UK.
Also ordered a balanced cable (xlr) there yesterday for clear and adi-2 pro 😀
i hope the cable is very flexible and not a stiff one

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #8,097 of 12,550
the first listening attempts .. showed me that the Clear with the XLR ... or one of my existing balanced cables,
in the bass wick is clearly restricted.

I didn't know that from my previous cans, is that known to clear?

Nov 2, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #8,098 of 12,550
I switched from the coiled to the shorter one and it's much more manageable. The way my setup is the short length isn't restrictive. But an aftermarket cable is in my future.

Nov 3, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #8,100 of 12,550

Users who are viewing this thread

Back