Focal Clear headphones
Aug 2, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #7,668 of 12,550
I’ll have to contact focal then. I bought these 2 years ago second hand, I know they finally have extended the warranty to second hand owners, but I’m not sure I can even find the contact info of who I bought them from to get the original bill of sale. When I bought them, focal wasn’t honoring warranties if you weren’t the original buyer, so I didn’t bother. I’ll keep you posted.
And I’m not listening to these at earth shattering volumes. I’m the kinda guy who brings earplugs to rock concerts.

Edit: I think I imagined the transferable warranty, it seems they still don't allow warranties to be transferred.
Long-term update:
So, after boxing these up for a few months and getting some HD-650s, I started to get that itch again. I eventually got the box out 2 weeks ago, delicately opened the driver housing and proceeded to again try to clear out any debris that MIGHT be causing the buzzing. After 2 attempts over 2 days, I finally had success. The buzzing is gone, and I can push these things to irresponsible levels of volume without any problems whatsoever (although I don’t really do that any more, got a hearing imbalance of 3-4dB favoring my left ear). I forgot just how effortless it makes busy tracks sound. I’m so relieved and happy to have my end game back. I love the 650s, don’t get me wrong, but the Clears are just on a whole other level and it’s nice to have a headphone badge that matches my speakers again.

Aug 4, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #7,670 of 12,550
If anyone is wondering about the Dekoni non-fenestrated sheepskin pads, I am absolutely loving them as an option. I do find a tiny loss of detail and a slight narrowing of the soundstage, but the little bit of added warmth has turned the Clears from highly respectable to downright addictive. I was frequently turning them down before due to a bit of treble sensitivity and now I'm struggling to keep myself from turning them up and up. I also find the clamping force is a bit higher now, which is giving me a much better seal than the stock pads. Curious to hear other opinions since I haven't heard too many people discuss the non-fenestrated pads.

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #7,672 of 12,550
I would love to hear anyone else comment on the Dekoni non-fenestrated sheepskin pads and also the Clears with Utopia Pads. I have the exact same issue with Clears and treble sensitivity and also a sense of audio too distant. I actually rigged up headbands around the headphones to bring the sound in closer and I liked the results. Tighter clamping force is what I was trying to achieve. Anyone with Clears could try pushing in on the ear cups with varied amounts of pressure to notice if there was any improvement in sound.. I was wondering if Utopia pads had a similar effect to the Dekoni non-fenestrated sheepskin pads.

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #7,674 of 12,550
I went back and read some of the discussions on pad swapping and realized that comparisons between different pads is very subjective. I would probably have to try other pads for myself. In a somewhat related question I was wondering if other Clear owners felt that the Clear headband pressure on the cups was maybe too little, too much or exactly right. My reason for asking is that I felt a little additional pressure improved the sound.

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #7,675 of 12,550
The amount of pressure depends on the size of your head! I'm comfortable with the amount of pressure, and I get a decent seal in spite of wearing glasses, so no complaints about clamping force.

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #7,676 of 12,550
We need a sticky with some common gudelines in tailoring one's rig in sound, seems a lot of folks n00bs and even o.g. forget what changes in components make the biggest difference. I would put pad swapping at the bottom of the list, even if in most cases they can change the overall percieved signature even more than sources. That's because if you really don't like a headphone despite of 'em doing nothing really wrong, it's definitelly more likely that the culprit is the amp not matching, or even the source, before it's a matter of pads.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #7,677 of 12,550
We need a sticky with some common gudelines in tailoring one's rig in sound, seems a lot of folks n00bs and even o.g. forget what changes in components make the biggest difference. I would put pad swapping at the bottom of the list, even if in most cases they can change the overall percieved signature even more than sources. That's because if you really don't like a headphone despite of 'em doing nothing really wrong, it's definitelly more likely that the culprit is the amp not matching, or even the source, before it's a matter of pads.

Strongly disagree. Pads are to headphones what rooms are to speakers. IMO, they make a much larger difference than an amp or DAC.

Aug 6, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #7,679 of 12,550
Unless there’s a drastic impedance mismatch, I don’t agree with this sentiment at all. Couldn’t it just be they don’t like the phone?

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #7,680 of 12,550
I got my Clear headphones today as planned. :relaxed: I haven't had time to listen yet. The unboxing was fun! It really feels like a premium product. The phones look great and feel solid, while not too heavy in the hands.
I can't wait to try them tonight after work!

I'm also expecting one of these today from UPS:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/rooms_audio_line_typ_fs_m_headphone_stand.htm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back