Focal Clear headphones
Jun 7, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #7,141 of 12,550
I see, so you never really noticed any differences between your Lqi cables and the stock cables in terms of SQ?

I do not. I use them on HD800, HP-3, and utopia, all balanced and terminated in 4.4 which is why I have them. I like that they are reasonably priced, flexible, no microphonics, and quality construction. I'm pretty sure the HP-3 cables will work in the Clear that is coming too. I also have some cables from CustomCans that I like for all the same reasons.
I have Surf Cables for Oppo PM-2 and PM-3, again all the same reasons. If any of these cables were"bad" sound wise I would maybe know it but they are not.

Jun 7, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #7,142 of 12,550
This is definitely true, when I got my Clear Pros I suspected that they were tuned differently from the standard Clears since they were warm and almost bassy which was not how they are typically described... After switching to my ADI-2+THX 789 I understood it was the amp (I actually prefer to use my TA with these).
So, the "warm and bassy" was coming mostly from the TA, and you ultimately preferred this sound with the Clear Pros over the other amp?

Jun 7, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #7,143 of 12,550
I do not. I use them on HD800, HP-3, and utopia, all balanced and terminated in 4.4 which is why I have them. I like that they are reasonably priced, flexible, no microphonics, and quality construction. I'm pretty sure the HP-3 cables will work in the Clear that is coming too. I also have some cables from CustomCans that I like for all the same reasons.
I have Surf Cables for Oppo PM-2 and PM-3, again all the same reasons. If any of these cables were"bad" sound wise I would maybe know it but they are not.
I see, the only difference you're noticing between these and the stock cables is the construction? (besides the microphonics being eliminated) Also, do you prefer the 4.4 over the XLR connection?

Jun 7, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #7,144 of 12,550
I see, the only difference you're noticing between these and the stock cables is the construction? (besides the microphonics being eliminated) Also, do you prefer the 4.4 over the XLR connection?

I do prefer the 4.4 for many more options of what to connect to. I have the XLR for the Klipsch, and the Sennheiser. I also have several 4.4 to XLR (twin 3 pin and 4 pin) adapters.

Jun 7, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #7,145 of 12,550
I use a variety of Lqicables and have no problem with them. However, I never really believed in cable snake oil. It would take a really bad cable to demo that to me.

Let me amend this post a little. I would never say that the cable debate is not valid, just that I was never willing to spend the money to find that last few points on the scale. My old man ears would not be able to tell much anyway. I am very satisfied with what I have even though I continue to spend dough for new and shiny things.

Jun 7, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #7,146 of 12,550
Noob question: the XLR cable which comes with the Clears, it is in fact a 4 pin balanced cable (compatible with my Sony TA-Z1Hes) correct? Sorry just saw this was the case on the product page.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #7,147 of 12,550
I have just found another interesting evaluation at Thomann Switzerland:

https://m.thomannmusic.ch/focal_clear_professional_reviews.htm?r=4

Translation:

mixed emotions
smallpaull on 01.02.2020

Supplement dated 06.03.2020:

Since I had the opportunity to use a different Focal Clear in the meantime and was really surprised by the very good sound, I would like to relativize my evaluation.

Stage, stereo location, spatial depth and frequency response as well as resolution are on a very high level. I would describe the signature of the listener as light, uncoloured and effortless. When I put the KH down, I wonder how well I can handle the "noise". The rating below only refers to the one delivered by Thomann, which unfortunately sounded much mustier. It's not because of the "playing-in", as the latter was hardly used. This one would get the full score from me and I would not do the NS10 comparison again.

Here my original rating:

After exploring the AKG top class (812, 872) and learning to love the 872 (except for the resonant low bass) I turned back to an open listener.

The Clear is powered by an SPL Phonitor 2, which is attached to an RME Fireface UC.

First impression: This should be a reference headphone?

Small stage, musty in the middle, but a nice dry and defined bass, boring highs without glitter...

OK. Must be recorded. Create a Noise Lfo Cutoff Resonance Preset on synth VST, which sweeps from brown to white noise and let it run for a few hours. With some success. But only a little.

At least when making music I could quickly see the strengths of Clear: Editing individual tracks, such as screwing kicks, basses and lead sounds, as well as recognizing reverberation rooms. The Clear is great at that. I've never heard reverbs defined like this before.

However, with every added mix track, the Clear has problems separating them.

In the Bonedo article an NS10 reference has been made, which is very applicable. These are also known as "grot box", which is a doubtful predicate. In other words: I am forced to do my homework very well and arrange the mids, otherwise it doesn't sound right.

Whether this is an advantage or disadvantage depends on my motivation. Unfortunately I definitely don't get a wow when I listen to music.

Piano sounds slightly felted and I miss the fine overtones. Double bass benefits from a well-balanced frequency response. Drums sound matter-of-fact and vocals a bit woody.

I have read through the whole internet to see my impressions confirmed, but I mostly read praise in the hifi- and sound forums. Either my Phonitor is crap or I'm on the wrong track...

I do not find the name Clear appropriate. Maybe Smear?

In any case, the wearing comfort is super cozy and the construction quality is undisputed.

Yesterday I bought Gnarles Barkley - The Odd Couple on CD. At first I only listened to it through headphones and found the CD not well presented or mushy. Today I heard about KH again -> same judgement. But now I finally heard about my KRK VXTs with sub and there you go... Now I know what the engineer wants to tell me.

After enjoying the monitors several times I switched the Phonitor back to headphones and immediately this discomfort came back. Dear Focals, I gave everything, but I didn't get warm with you.

Addendum:

My last two mixes have become very strong, although a bit thinned out in the mids.

So I raise the overall star rating to 4.

Very good for mix jobs, not for listening to music.

Addendum II on 02/11/202020:

Now I have the Audeze LCD-X here and could compare both. The Focal is so "clear" in the sense of -> no coloration in the high frequency range. I may have sent it back too early and miss its honest reproduction.

The Audeze is a BigBoy with just that resonant colouring in the high frequencies and a bit more obtrusive or undefined in the bass. Here the Clear is a big one!

In the meantime I was allowed to listen to another Focal Clear:

Sounds completely different - spatial, clear and clean - not a trace of what I criticized in my review. Possibly there are several revisions (the case with Audeze LCD-X) or it has to be played much longer.

Jun 7, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #7,149 of 12,550
Hi all, I have a pair of (factory refurb) Clears on the way. I plan to use them with the Sony TA-zh1es headphone amp. Anyone listen to them through this amp and can give their opinion? Also, I'm assuming the XLR connection is the best compared to the 1/4", correct? Thanks.
Uh oh, this Amazon reviewer (see about half way down) says the Clears are "not nice" with my amp (Sony TA). I wonder why?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-TA-ZH...ne-Amplifier-black/product-reviews/B01LHGLAQ8

Jun 7, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #7,152 of 12,550
The Clear professionals are more neutral and accurate than the Clears, huh? So, they're better for mixing and studio work? Just trying to get better sense of the distinction.

That's not what I read. They are the very same headphones. So aside from the color the accy kit that comes with them is why they are called the professionals.

Jun 7, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #7,153 of 12,550
Noob question: the XLR cable which comes with the Clears, it is in fact a 4 pin balanced cable (compatible with my Sony TA-Z1Hes) correct? Sorry just saw this was the case on the product page.

Yes.

Jun 7, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #7,154 of 12,550
So, the "warm and bassy" was coming mostly from the TA, and you ultimately preferred this sound with the Clear Pros over the other amp?

Yes, they pair well with the TA (at least for me). The Pros are the same headphone besides the color and accessories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back