Focal Clear headphones
Jun 7, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #7,111 of 12,550
@Swisshead when a picture is indeed worth a thousand words :thumbsup:

@Nostoi that's more a question of what does your amp offer balanced vs single ended. If it's truly a balanced design, that's how it's meant to be used, and I'm sure it's been designed to sound best used as such. From a perspective of the Clear, I do find the increase in focus and separation, that is commonly experienced with balanced drive, do benefit them.
This is the balanced amp I'd be pairing it with. It's a full/truly balanced design on a trans-portable format. An increase in separation would interest me. Thanks.

Jun 7, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #7,113 of 12,550
Also, if you need to switch from from balanced to single ended output, you just need a balanced to single ended adapter.
I know but I'm kinda picky about adaptors, especially 4.4mm female to 6.35mm, which to my mind are a bit bulky because of the Pentaconn casing. I'd also prefer to avoid a pigtail adapter. Maybe someone knows of a very good one?

Jun 7, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #7,114 of 12,550
Also, if you need to switch from from balanced to single ended output, you just need a balanced to single ended adapter.
This is one I have from Forza, it works ok but I don't find it very practical.
15915260794586438547346436839112.jpg

Jun 7, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #7,118 of 12,550
I'm looking to pair with this amp as a semi-portable option.

I agree about the RME - for the money, it's outstanding in terms of features. Is the amp a slayer? No. It's an excellent solid state amp, but it benefits very much from an external amp. In my experience, you need to spend at least £1k on an amp to reap the benefits. I'm very happy with my Pathos Aurium/RME combo.

looks like a real balance amp, so changing your plug would be worth it

agree, when use as dac only, rme is great

Jun 7, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #7,119 of 12,550
Hi all, I have a pair of (factory refurb) Clears on the way. I plan to use them with the Sony TA-zh1es headphone amp. Anyone listen to them through this amp and can give their opinion? Also, I'm assuming the XLR connection is the best compared to the 1/4", correct? Thanks.

Jun 7, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #7,122 of 12,550
Imo, they handle all type of amp coloring extremely well. Sibilance region is well attenuated, so brighter amps are not annoying. It has "dynamics", so even mellower amps will be plenty of fun. I saw some folks complaining about some metallic signature, but I can not see that issue, regardless of amp. I have one of the early s/n. Maybe later production models did get brighter, it happened with the Utopia. Who knows.

Jun 7, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #7,123 of 12,550
Imo, they handle all type of amp coloring extremely well. Sibilance region is well attenuated, so brighter amps are not annoying. It has "dynamics", so even mellower amps will be plenty of fun. I saw some folks complaining about some metallic signature, but I can not see that issue, regardless of amp. I have one of the early s/n. Maybe later production models did get brighter, it happened with the Utopia. Who knows.
That's a new concept to me, that different production periods of the same headphone can produce different sounding headphones. Has this been proven? or just assumed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back