Focal Clear headphones
Jun 2, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #7,081 of 12,550
I pondered getting the HPA4. Have you heard the D90 A90 combo yet? I wonder how much there is to gain or lose from one or another, and my question goes both ways. Just because HPA4 is 3k doesn't mean it's better than the A90 at 500. It may be, I haven't heard either. Just curious if you have any insight.

Thanks

I haven't heard the Topping 90 stack, but I doubt you will hear much of a difference at all. So, go with the amp that has better design, better build, better volume control, better safety features, better connectivity, better preamp, better screen, better remote, better return policy, better warranty, and better customer service. Conveniently, that's all the HPA4.

Or go with the one that has the better price. Just be aware of what that lower price costs you.

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #7,082 of 12,550
I must say I'm currently content as my A90 arrived yesterday. Thoroughly impressed with the 90 stack. Sounds great. Time to sell off a bunch of other gear. I don't see myself using any of it again.

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #7,083 of 12,550
I must say I'm currently content as my A90 arrived yesterday. Thoroughly impressed with the 90 stack. Sounds great. Time to sell off a bunch of other gear. I don't see myself using any of it again.

Sounds good...

To make things easy for you, feel free to box that other junk (iFi Micro iDSD Black Label, Bottlehead Crack with Speedball, Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies with tube power supply, Beyerdynamic A2, Audeze Deckard, THX 789 AAA)
up and send it to me! I can send you some Porta Pros or Beats Studio OGs for your trouble :wink:

Jun 5, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #7,084 of 12,550
Hi,

I´ve been looking at some DAC/PREAMP options in the range to around 1000€, something to be connected primary to my home system but that could be a good match to my Focal Clear as a desktop headphone amp. I'm not looking for a very analytic sound signature that might be somewhat tiring with the Clears or my home speakers which are very "Clear" too.

I favor sound quality over features; also box size matters, a small/medium size is ok. No need for streaming sources, coax and USB are fine. Any recommendations on some brands/models to look to that are available in Europe?
Thanks

Jun 5, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #7,086 of 12,550
Hi,

I´ve been looking at some DAC/PREAMP options in the range to around 1000€, something to be connected primary to my home system but that could be a good match to my Focal Clear as a desktop headphone amp. I'm not looking for a very analytic sound signature that might be somewhat tiring with the Clears or my home speakers which are very "Clear" too.

I favor sound quality over features; also box size matters, a small/medium size is ok. No need for streaming sources, coax and USB are fine. Any recommendations on some brands/models to look to that are available in Europe?
Thanks

I have the Marantz HD-DAC1, which I believe to be available in Europe. It's quite small but very solidly built. I think it's been recently discontinued, so you might get it at a good price. The sound is slightly on the warm side with Focal Clears. It has coax, optical, analog, and USB inputs. The USB-B input on the back of the unit will play up to DSD128 when connected to a computer.

Jun 5, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #7,087 of 12,550
I have the Marantz HD-DAC1, which I believe to be available in Europe. It's quite small but very solidly built. I think it's been recently discontinued, so you might get it at a good price. The sound is slightly on the warm side with Focal Clears. It has coax, optical, analog, and USB inputs. The USB-B input on the back of the unit will play up to DSD128 when connected to a computer.

Thanks @vonBaron @pbarach - I've looked at Marantz, also at Audiolab MDAC, some mixed reviews on both.
RME ADI-2 FS has very good reviews too. Denafrips Ares 2 looks interesting but not having a distributor in Europe and import customs are a let down.
Didn't know about that Hegel, will take a closer look.
Regards

Jun 5, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #7,089 of 12,550
Rme is too clinical and lean sounding not the best match for Clears.

Thanks. I've seen some reviews saying it had a good full body so that's a surprise for me. Couldn't that be adjusted with the PEQ? I guess the settings are by output so I could dial some attenuation on mids/highs on 1/4 jack and still have the original signal on RCA out for my PRE, no? Regards

Jun 5, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #7,090 of 12,550
I'm using my original Chord Hugo as pre / source and also as amp. As pre / source it's a little warm, decently vivid and no harshness. As amp it's less warm more vivid but again no harshness.

As an amp it kind of makes me wow with the Clear how vivid yet organic, almost tube like, its presentation is. Soundstage is not as deep or wide as on my other warmer amps, arguably less body too, feels like the Clear benefit from decent power in that regard.

Only problem is I had to replace batteries after 6 years. Also the Hugo 2 seems still a little pricier 2nd hand, and a lot pricier as new. Anyhow, keepers for sure.

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #7,091 of 12,550
Thanks. I've seen some reviews saying it had a good full body so that's a surprise for me. Couldn't that be adjusted with the PEQ? I guess the settings are by output so I could dial some attenuation on mids/highs on 1/4 jack and still have the original signal on RCA out for my PRE, no? Regards

Well that is my personal impressions after a full week with a loaner unit of my friend.
I haven't fiddled with the various software adjustments.
But I don't believe that you can alter the basic character.
This is a pro unit that concentrates at clear and accurate sound but I didn't find it involving.

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #7,092 of 12,550
Hi,

Thanks

Never heard any of their products but the reviews I've seen were positive...

http://www.soekris.dk/dac1421.html
http://www.soekris.dk/dac1541.html

Jun 5, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #7,093 of 12,550
Never heard any of their products but the reviews I've seen were positive...

http://www.soekris.dk/dac1421.html
http://www.soekris.dk/dac1541.html
I guess it's more representative of R2R? With certain recordings, highs didn't have as much of a shimmer I find recordings should. It does seem to meet the stereotypes of R2R relaxed highs. Not my tonal flavor, but perhaps for others that like the kind of sound. It's a pretty good performing DAC in general probably on par Gumby, but Gumby and Yggy has more energy up top for sure. Gumby might be the most present highs of the 3.

In general, resistor latter based DACs seem to image differently from delta sigma, although this maybe bit of stereotype if we're being strict. resistor latter tend to have more of imaging depth to sound, and delta sigma tend to flatter.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #7,094 of 12,550
I guess it's more representative of R2R? With certain recordings, highs didn't have as much of a shimmer I find recordings should. It does seem to meet the stereotypes of R2R relaxed highs. Not my tonal flavor, but perhaps for others that like the kind of sound. It's a pretty good performing DAC in general probably on par Gumby, but Gumby and Yggy has more energy up top for sure. Gumby might be the most present highs of the 3.

In general, resistor latter based DACs seem to image differently from delta sigma, although this maybe bit of stereotype if we're being strict. resistor latter tend to have more of imaging depth to sound, and delta sigma tend to flatter.

I never heard a R2R DAC so I can't imagine how far are the "relaxed" highs, I imagine for the reviews I've read they would be a good match to Focal Clear. Unfortunately Denafrips ARES 2 doesn't have a headphone jack, it only works as a preamp - and surely is the primary function I'm looking for. Anyone here has listened the Soekris DAC1541 that could give some feedback? it looks nice too on paper...

Well, I can't have everything in a single package, mostly when budget is limited - but for the price and features RME ADI-2 FS looks a steal

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #7,095 of 12,550
I never heard a R2R DAC so I can't imagine how far are the "relaxed" highs, I imagine for the reviews I've read they would be a good match to Focal Clear. Unfortunately Denafrips ARES 2 doesn't have a headphone jack, it only works as a preamp - and surely is the primary function I'm looking for. Anyone here has listened the Soekris DAC1541 that could give some feedback? it looks nice too on paper...

Well, I can't have everything in a single package, mostly when budget is limited - but for the price and features RME ADI-2 FS looks a steal
Focal Clear is pretty easy to drive. DAC1541 or Hugo 2 should drive fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back