Focal Clear headphones
Jan 10, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #6,631 of 12,550
Focal Clear : Quickie Review.

I can't agree or disagree with any of the findings as reported on this long Thread, regarding the FC.
Ive not read any of the sonic diagnosis found therein.
I can only tell you what my initial impression is of this gear, using my ears and my experience.

Sound : This is a $2000 USD sound inside a $1199.00 set of Headphones.
Its an immersive sound experience, holographic and energetic, without being bright or harsh or unforgiving.
The Clear's sound puts you inside the music, where you can look around and see it exist as a soundstage, as beautiful, as a revelation.
Sonically you discover that the Clear's offer a touch of elegance, the breath of fullness, and a lovely dimension of depth.
Tonally, the overall sound of the Clear's balanced tone is one of rich presence and enhanced clarity.
Yes, the bass is full, its slightly warm and round, but is not dominating.
Yes the mids are accurate and also slightly 5kHz sweetened, yet they do not scold the ears and they do not sound artificial or digital.
Trebles are authentic, engaging, lively, and revealing.

The Clear's are what most jaded audiophiles need for relief from the dreaded warm, round, thick, $$$$$$$$$$$$ Sound.
If the Clear's sound were a candy then they are Peppermint with a touch of Honey.
If the Clear's sound were a color they'd be Magenta with a touch of Pink and Blue.

Who wont like them? People who prefer warm and rich vs energetic and really Clear.
Who will love them? Probably nearly everyone else who hears them, but not everyone else who feels them on their head. They are not uncomfortable, but there is weight and you know it when you wear the Clear's.
This is a headphone that could not possibly be defined as a "bad sounding headphone" by anyone who has any experience with Audiophile sound.
But thats not to suggest that everyone will love this sound, yet, there is much to love about it.
No single headphone can please every single audiophile.
This gear is a great cup of Tea, but it might not be exactly YOUR cup of Tea greatness, yet, its still an outstanding set of headphones.

Negatives ? Sure , The Clear's bass is slightly north of Neutral and they slightly touch the mids. The Focal Clear is not as light as you'd want, but, they are also not heavy,....They are right on that boarder line....... And also, im not a fan of their frame, as in this case, it just way too much metal.....and a well designed high tech space age plastic frame would have been the best choice for this fine Gear.

The album in the Picture is a recent "Judith Hill LIVE" that was recorded using a Studer R2R 2" Tape Machine.
Its a killer Album.

Here are 2 reviews that you might have missed.

https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/focal-clear-dynamic-open-back-headphone-review

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/focal-clear-headphones-review/
-
-
-

Now you know why Tyll of innerfidelity quitted the business after reviewing Clear

Jan 10, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #6,634 of 12,550
Great review but please let me comment that the bass is NOT north of neutral and DOESN'T touch the mids.

The Clear doesn't have a neutral bass, and while it does not overlap the mids in an annoying way, it does touch them.
Read a few reviews.
You are the only person who thinks this, according to the reviews you find online.
Its a warm bass, and its not exactly neutral, but its not overbearing.. Its a good bass.
If i designed the sound of the Clears, i'd reduce the size of the bass, and take out the little 5k bump.
However, if you did this, you'd stop the headphones from offering what they do best, and then it becomes a strictly Reference gear.
Good gear, and the sound is sort of "reference fun"....Its very accurate, but, they've punched it a bit to make it dynamic sounding without being too energetic, which is something special.
And i bet that FOCAL will create a step down smaller sized version, that will sound great and sell like crazy. It'll be plastic and sell for $599 USD.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #6,635 of 12,550
upload_2020-1-10_21-24-0.png

upload_2020-1-10_21-23-15.png

Jan 11, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #6,636 of 12,550
@FullBright1

Please excuse me but I am a professional reviewer although not web famous and I don't care what my colleagues say as I prefer to trust my ears and measurements.
Hey all of them you mention are the guys who buried the HD660S one of the best headphones ever.
Only a two - three of them are to be trusted no names given here.
Anyway back to topic.
The bass is exactly at the amount it must be for it to be considered neutral and if you permit me lacking a little bit.
There is no intrusion into the mid bass territory and of course nothing to do with mids.
The 5khz peak is very tastefully done just to add a hint of sparkle and information without becoming annoying or bright.
The Clear are amongst the very few headphones in the market that is tuned neutral and reassembling speakers in a well treated room.

But as always all of us perceive sound differently so it is perfectly understandable for someone to find i.e the bass a little lacking or a little more.
So no problems and if you like what you hear just enjoy!

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #6,637 of 12,550
@FullBright1

Please excuse me but I am a professional reviewer although not web famous and I don't care what my colleagues say as I prefer to trust my ears and measurements.
!

Yes, i agree.

As common sense dictates that a flat piece of paper that has a graph on it, is not to be considered the same reality as literal headphones that are 3D, producing a stereo signal, and fit on your head.
Sonically, these can't be the exact same, regarding the reality of a headphones sound as heard, vs how it LOOKS on a piece of paper.
Thats just reality.
I live in reality.....:)

Jan 11, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #6,639 of 12,550
If i designed the sound of the Clears, i'd reduce the size of the bass, and take out the little 5k bump.
I understand that you might want to take out the 5 KHz bumb, but why would you want to reduce the size of the bass? Wouldn't the Clear rather benefit from a bit more bass, (which I feel they do, as I have used a Parametric Equalizer to strengthen the bass around 25 Hz and I now enjoy the Clear's bass much more)?

Jan 11, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #6,640 of 12,550
I understand that you might want to take out the 5 KHz bumb, but why would you want to reduce the size of the bass? Wouldn't the Clear rather benefit from a bit more bass, (which I feel they do, as I have used a Parametric Equalizer to strengthen the bass around 25 Hz and I now enjoy the Clear's bass much more)?

As i stated in my short review, im in the initial listening stage. Right out of the box, strapped on.
So, from this vantage point, what im hearing, is destined to change.
It could be that with burn in, the bass will neutralize, the highs will finalize, and the mids will liquify.
But right out of the box, ... its a work in progress......
I can say that these are very good headphones.
I compared them to my HIFIman Edtion Xv2, and they are similar sounding, but the Focals have more weight, more body, more fullness. The Xv2s have a slightly more prounounced 12kHz, but, this can be a false perception that is based on having less fullness, as compared to the Focal.
Tomorrow i receive the IBasso SR-1s, and it'll be interesting to compare...
Thx for reading....:)

fb1

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #6,641 of 12,550
Yes, i agree.

As common sense dictates that a flat piece of paper that has a graph on it, is not to be considered the same reality as literal headphones that are 3D, producing a stereo signal, and fit on your head.
Sonically, these can't be the exact same, regarding the reality of a headphones sound as heard, vs how it LOOKS on a piece of paper.
Thats just reality.
I live in reality.....:)

You are reading selectively.
I clearly state that above all I trust my ears.
So yes I am in the realm of reality opposite than you as your thoughts are biased from the reviews you have already read.:wink:

Jan 11, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #6,642 of 12,550
Is this Tyll's measurement?

In the review, he states the BASS is not neutral, and it touches the midrange.
That's also what i hear.....:)

Yes...just putting it out there for reference relative to the discussion

That said, I also feel that everyone has different hearing capabilities, preferences, etc.

Jan 11, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #6,644 of 12,550
Just out of curiosity I have read two three professional web reviews from well know and established web pages.
Can't read not even one stating that the bass of the Clears is too much above target response or bleeding to the mids.
Tyll seems to be the only one to state such a thing.... and you know what? he is not the one a trust long time ago....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back