Focal Clear headphones
Jan 16, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #6,661 of 12,550
I just got a new amp and dac for the clears! 1579213886588473763745857156140.jpg

Jan 16, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #6,665 of 12,550
All set up.

Nice photo.
Good looking audiophile rig.

The Focal Clear's are an impressive set of headphones.
I had the Grey, but ended up with the Pro Version which is a different color..
It's all good.
A unique listening experience every time you hear them.
A Sound value for the money.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #6,666 of 12,550
Nice photo.
Good looking audiophile rig.

The Focal Clear's are an impressive set of headphones.
I had the Grey, but ended up with the Pro Version which is a different color..
It's all good.
A unique listening experience every time you hear them.
A Sound value for the money.
Thank you.

The clears are my favorite headphones that I have heard thus far.

Jan 16, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #6,667 of 12,550
Thank you.

The clears are my favorite headphones that I have heard thus far.

I can't say for certain that paying $2000 more for another set of headphones will get you 2% better, but its for certain that i dont think you should hope it to be so.
There comes a time when the headphone buying game becomes a diminishing return circular reasoning trap, where you keep hoping hoping hoping that the next one is GOING TO BE SO MUCH BETTER.
I got lost in this with Acoustic Guitars, for years. Buying expensive guitars, having custom guitars built, and i found that no matter what you spend, you can't spend enough to get a perfect guitar or a perfect SOUND in a headphone.
Expensive acoustic guitars come in 2 types. 1.) Plays Great. 2.) Sounds Great. And never is it both. And all are beautiful. Its a money pit. Same as headphone buying, but the Headphone game costs a lot less....

But its not going to be, past a certain level, any better sound... because how GREAT IS GREAT? What is better then Great ???? What does this mean? And once you are in that sound, you're there.
Enjoy it.
So, if you want to chase the Headphone rabbit hole using $$$$$$$$$$, dont do it thinking you are going to get headphones that are going to sound much better then the Clear's.
Chase the new ones because you just like to get new ones, understanding that at this price range, you are going to get a different "good", but not so much a better "good".
I think that tech is topped out, regarding headphones, for now. In 5 yrs, something will be better then Planer tech or handmade wooden cup tech, and wont cost $5500 to get it. Till then, enjoy the Clear's while you have good hearing. ...:)

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #6,668 of 12,550
I can't say for certain that paying $2000 more for another set of headphones will get you 2% better, but its for certain that i dont think you should hope it to be so.
There comes a time when the headphone buying game becomes a diminishing return circular reasoning trap, where you keep hoping hoping hoping that the next one is GOING TO BE SO MUCH BETTER.
I got lost in this with Acoustic Guitars, for years. Buying expensive guitars, having custom guitars built, and i found that no matter what you spend, you can't spend enough to get a perfect guitar or a perfect SOUND in a headphone.
Expensive acoustic guitars come in 2 types. 1.) Plays Great. 2.) Sounds Great. And never is it both. And all are beautiful. Its a money pit. Same as headphone buying, but the Headphone game costs a lot less....
But its not going to be, past a certain level, because how GREAT IS GREAT? And once you are in that sound, you're there.
So, if you want to chase the Headphone rabbit hole using $$$$$$$$$$, dont do it thinking you are going to get headphones that are going to sound much better then the Clear's.
Chase then new ones because you just like to get new ones, understanding that at this price range, you are going to get a different "good", but not so much a better "good".
I think that tech is topped out, regarding headphones, for now. In 5 yrs, something will be better then Planer tech and wont cost $5500 to get it. Till then, enjoy the Clear's.
I agree with you 100%. Oh, and I'm happy with my new taylor 214ce koa because it sounds great.

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #6,670 of 12,550
As compared to the HD820s and the HP-3s, the Clear's Treble is not spiked, so that is why a cable that dumbed down the Clear' Treble, which it does not need it, works great for your other 2 headphones that need their Treble tamed just a bit.
You've managed to EQ them with a cable....:)
It makes sense to me!

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #6,671 of 12,550
Was curious about the Gilmore mk2 and how it pairs with the pros. Good synergy?
Thanks
Initially, I thought the Gilmore Lite Mk2 was a little cold sounding with the Clears. Music sounded a little to bright and had too much edge to it. Now that my Clears are starting to settle down the GL Mk2 really shows off the dynamics and the speed of them. Bass is taunt, the mids are neutral and a little forward and the treble has tons of clarity and detail without sounding sibilant.

When I switch back to the Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0 it sounds too warm now. But I’m sure it’s okay I just need to let my ears readjust.

My current mid-if setup is the GL Mk2 as a preamp for the Burson Bang power amp. The Burson Swing is the DAC with the Loki in between for equing. I’ve been enjoying this setup for all my headphones including the Susvara’s.

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #6,672 of 12,550

But its not going to be, past a certain level, any better sound... because how GREAT IS GREAT? What is better then Great ???? What does this mean? And once you are in that sound, you're there.
Enjoy it.
Chase the new ones because you just like to get new ones, understanding that at this price range, you are going to get a different "good", but not so much a better "good".
I think that tech is topped out, regarding headphones, for now. In 5 yrs, something will be better then Planer tech or handmade wooden cup tech, and wont cost $5500 to get it. Till then, enjoy the Clear's while you have good hearing. ...:)
I’ve been down that rabbit hole when I first got into headphones. I was in search of a sound signature that I liked. So I bought, sold, and traded so many headphones because there are no headphones stores in my area to try before I could buy.

There are headphones that improve upon the Clears. But you’re right about the price jump. The Clears really are the sweet spot for headphones. They do so many things good enough to be endgame for a good majority of head-fiers. But if you’re chasing that last 5% in sound improvements it’s out there for a price :)

Jan 17, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #6,673 of 12,550
Initially, I thought the Gilmore Lite Mk2 was a little cold sounding with the Clears. Music sounded a little to bright and had too much edge to it. Now that my Clears are starting to settle down the GL Mk2 really shows off the dynamics and the speed of them. Bass is taunt, the mids are neutral and a little forward and the treble has tons of clarity and detail without sounding sibilant.

When I switch back to the Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0 it sounds too warm now. But I’m sure it’s okay I just need to let my ears readjust.

My current mid-if setup is the GL Mk2 as a preamp for the Burson Bang power amp. The Burson Swing is the DAC with the Loki in between for equing. I’ve been enjoying this setup for all my headphones including the Susvara’s.
Gilmore and Cavalli, the two ends of amp sounds. I'm more of a Cavalli guy myself, but not his warm and gooey stuff. I don't like thick sounds.

Jan 17, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #6,674 of 12,550
I agree with you 100%. Oh, and I'm happy with my new taylor 214ce koa because it sounds great.

Is your Taylor a "V" Class?
I only have 3 Taylor guitars, currently. A Koa Ltd Grand Concert, a 912c, and an R.Taylor in Ebony and Sinker Redwood.
Over the years, ive owned about 35 Taylors.
As i was saying about that "rabbit hole"....

And yes the Clears, are a really good headphone set.
They've been engineered to have a lot of presence without sounding really bright or treble etched.
Also, Focal did something to the lower mids or upper lows.......they've reduced this somehow and this space is why this gear has such incredible openness and instrument separation, yet
the soundstage is not extremely wide.
The Focal's have a precise present sound, void of "thick", and yet its quite natural sounding.
I read a review where someone accused it of having an "artificial treble", and Z said its a bass-head headphone, like BEATS.
Well, i dont hear an artificial treble like i hear in Beyer headphones, and Z must have been under the influence when he wrote that review, as this Gear is nothing like a beats, and the bass is fine.

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #6,675 of 12,550
Ps I'm stoked as my two fav bands for the last 30 years made it into the rock and roll hall of fame! DM and NIN.

Didn't Whitney Houston make it also?
is she "Rock and Roll"? Is it the RnR hall of fame, or just "famous past singers and bands, ect" hall of fame.
When i think of Rock and Roll, for some Reason....> Whitney does not come to my mind.....:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back