Focal Clear headphones
Aug 28, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #6,151 of 12,550
Hey guys,

First post here, so sorry if I asking something that has already been answered (I'm still trying to understand how to search the answers to questions...)

I have a pair of Clears and really love them, but I've been noticing that the highs on them are just a little too fatiguing for me at times for the kinds of music I listened to. Has anyone tried pad rolling with pads from Focal's other offerings to see if there's a way to take down the treble a notch? I saw a thread on headphones.com that did some measurements to this effect, but I'm not really positive on how to interpret the plots yet (I'm also somewhat new to the headphones hustle...).

https://forum.headphones.com/t/focal-pad-rolling-experiments-measurements/2822/26

I think it's saying that I should try out the Elear pads? There's also the Elegia pads, but maybe would warm up the sound too much? This is, of course, all assuming I want to fork over the outrageous prices that Focal is charging for them...

Anyway, any assistance for this n00b would be helpful!

I suggest that you try out the Dekoni pads. That's what I did with my Clear and the highs are very slightly tamed and everything else is just about unchanged. But with very slightly tamed highs there is a perception sometimes that some detail is slightly tamed too, but that goes with the territory. Other times there seems to be no change in the sound. But it's nice to know that I can switch back to the stock pads anytime I want for the "stock" sound. I think the Dekoni pads will do it for you. The Dekoni pads I used were the Elite Hybrid for $99. I had tried the Fenestrated Sheepskin (I think that's it -- the ones with the holes in them for $99, like the original Focal pads} -- but I felt that these attenuated the bass quite a bit and returned them. I have been very satisfied with the Elite Hybrid. Opinions may differ, however.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #6,152 of 12,550
Hey guys,

First post here, so sorry if I asking something that has already been answered (I'm still trying to understand how to search the answers to questions...)

I have a pair of Clears and really love them, but I've been noticing that the highs on them are just a little too fatiguing for me at times for the kinds of music I listened to. Has anyone tried pad rolling with pads from Focal's other offerings to see if there's a way to take down the treble a notch? I saw a thread on headphones.com that did some measurements to this effect, but I'm not really positive on how to interpret the plots yet (I'm also somewhat new to the headphones hustle...).

https://forum.headphones.com/t/focal-pad-rolling-experiments-measurements/2822/26

I think it's saying that I should try out the Elear pads? There's also the Elegia pads, but maybe would warm up the sound too much? This is, of course, all assuming I want to fork over the outrageous prices that Focal is charging for them...

Anyway, any assistance for this n00b would be helpful!

Is EQ an option? There is a bit of a peak at 6k that you can EQ down a bit, it might be responsible for the fatigue. Just proposing a cheaper solution than pad rolling.

Aug 29, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #6,153 of 12,550
Is EQ an option? There is a bit of a peak at 6k that you can EQ down a bit, it might be responsible for the fatigue. Just proposing a cheaper solution than pad rolling.
I have done just that and aside from toning down the 6k peak, I increased the subbass about 3dB as well.
I am using USB Audio Player Pro, which comes with a nice parametric Equalizer add-on. Highly advised!

Aug 31, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #6,154 of 12,550
new toy day...just in time for the weekend

IMG_20190830_213254.jpg

IMG_20190830_213259.jpg

Sep 1, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #6,156 of 12,550
So I've auditioned the Focal Clear before and spent some time with them in the past. I've spent some time with 3 Focal headphones - Elear, Clear, Utopia.

Honestly, I like all of Focal's headphones that I've tried, each has their strengths and I think all 3 are excellent.

I originally bought the Elear because I think it presents the best value of the 3, especially at it's current price. I live in Canada so the break down currently looks like this (prices in Canadian dollars)

Elear - $648
Clear - $1899
Utopia - $3999

The Elear is a killer value right now, it has great dynamics and a very pleasant warm signature. It has a couple of faults like a somewhat uneven upper mid range and treble.

The Clear takes what the Elear does and improves it across the board. It loses the elevated bass warmth and is much smoother sounding across the mid range and treble with just a bit of brightness. It's more detailed sounding because of the more even treble presentation. To my ears the Clear also has a bit more width to the sound stage then the Elear. It's not a huge sound stage by any means, but a bit wider.

The Utopia takes what the Clear does and gets hyper detailed and even a bit brighter. The Utopia is bit too expensive and also just a little bit bright sounding for my personal taste. It's a very revealing headphone.

As for the Clear specifically - It's a great headphone and I don't anticipate even looking at anything else for quite some time.

The build quality on Focal headphones is second to none in my opinion. The line up looks incredible and all of them scream high end. The headphones are super comfortable and feel incredibly well built, best in the business. Comfort is really on point, they aren't super light but have nice distribution. The pads are soft and nicer feeling then the Elear pads. There's some concern with the color of the pads and headband being light grey where some staining is possible. I have a cheap headband cover from Amazon on order, but something to think about for long term care.

The Clear comes with so many accessories, which is amazing. They come with 3 different cables (a short 3.5mm cable, and long balanced and a long 6.5mm). The cables are really nice looking and feel sturdy and well built. The Focal logos on them in particular look really nice. The cables are a little stiff which I don't love, but I don't really see any need to look at anything custom at this time.

I'm listening to the Clear off of the new Schiit Asgard 3 (Multibit DAC included). This is my only amp/DAC for comparison. I lost most of my gear recently in a condo fire (water damage) which is sad, but it's just stuff that can be replaced, right? In fact, I replaced my damaged Elear with the Clear and my Asgard 2 with the Asgard 3.

Sound: There really isn't much fault to find with the Clear. They are a pretty neutral sounding headphone with just a touch of brightness in the treble (maybe a small peak around 6k). The bass is pretty flat sounding without any real elevation and they are very smooth across the mid range. The Elear by comparison has some elevation in the bass that gives them a bit more warmth. The smoothness across the mids and highs is really where these improve over the Elear. By comparison to the Utopia I don't hear much difference with the Clear until you get to the treble where the Utopia gets very detailed and slightly brighter.

Overall I think the Clear is a brilliant headphone and well worth the asking price.

Listening through Foobar Wasapi Event output to my own FLAC files exclusively

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #6,157 of 12,550
new toy day...just in time for the weekend

So I've auditioned the Focal Clear before and spent some time with them in the past. I've spent some time with 3 Focal headphones - Elear, Clear, Utopia.

Honestly, I like all of Focal's headphones that I've tried, each has their strengths and I think all 3 are excellent.

I originally bought the Elear because I think it presents the best value of the 3, especially at it's current price. I live in Canada so the break down currently looks like this (prices in Canadian dollars)

Elear - $648
Clear - $1899
Utopia - $3999

The Elear is a killer value right now, it has great dynamics and a very pleasant warm signature. It has a couple of faults like a somewhat uneven upper mid range and treble.

The Clear takes what the Elear does and improves it across the board. It loses the elevated bass warmth and is much smoother sounding across the mid range and treble with just a bit of brightness. It's more detailed sounding because of the more even treble presentation. To my ears the Clear also has a bit more width to the sound stage then the Elear. It's not a huge sound stage by any means, but a bit wider.

The Utopia takes what the Clear does and gets hyper detailed and even a bit brighter. The Utopia is bit too expensive and also just a little bit bright sounding for my personal taste. It's a very revealing headphone.

As for the Clear specifically - It's a great headphone and I don't anticipate even looking at anything else for quite some time.

The build quality on Focal headphones is second to none in my opinion. The line up looks incredible and all of them scream high end. The headphones are super comfortable and feel incredibly well built, best in the business. Comfort is really on point, they aren't super light but have nice distribution. The pads are soft and nicer feeling then the Elear pads. There's some concern with the color of the pads and headphone being light grey where some staining is possible. I have a cheap headband cover from Amazon on order, but something to think about for long term care.

The Clear comes with so many accessories, which is amazon. They come with 3 different cables (a short 3.5mm cable, and long balanced and a long 6.5mm). The cables are really nice looking and feel sturdy and well built. The Focal logos on them in particular look really nice. The cables are a little stiff which I don't love, but I don't really see any need to look at anything custom at this time.

I'm listening to the Clear off of the new Schiit Asgard 3 (Multibit DAC included). This is my only amp/DAC for comparison. I lost most of my gear recently in a condo fire (water damage) which is sad, but it's just stuff that can be replaced, right? In fact, I replaced my damaged Elear with the Clear and my Asgard 2 with the Asgard 3.

Sound: There really isn't much fault to find with the Clear. They are a pretty neutral sounding headphone with just a touch of brightness in the treble (maybe a small peak around 6k). The bass is pretty flat sounding without any real elevation and they are very smooth across the mid range. The Elear by comparison has some elevation in the bass that gives them a bit more warmth. The smoothness across the mids and highs is really where these improve over the Elear. By comparison to the Utopia I don't hear much difference with the Clear until you get to the treble where the Utopia gets very detailed and slightly brighter.

Overall I think the Clear is a brilliant headphone and well worth the asking price.

Have you ever thought of applying a parametric equalizer? You could dial in a bit subbass strength at around 25Hz and tame the brightness peak at 6KHz. Personally I added 4dB at 10KHz in order to open the soundstage a bit more.

Sep 1, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #6,158 of 12,550

Elear - $648
Clear - $1899
Utopia - $3999

The build quality on Focal headphones is second to none in my opinion. The line up looks incredible and all of them scream high end. The headphones are super comfortable and feel incredibly well built, best in the business. Comfort is really on point, they aren't super light but have nice distribution. The pads are soft and nicer feeling then the Elear pads. There's some concern with the color of the pads and headphone being light grey where some staining is possible. I have a cheap headband cover from Amazon on order, but something to think about for long term care.

The Clear comes with so many accessories, which is amazon. They come with 3 different cables (a short 3.5mm cable, and long balanced and a long 6.5mm). The cables are really nice looking and feel sturdy and well built. The Focal logos on them in particular look really nice. The cables are a little stiff which I don't love, but I don't really see any need to look at anything custom at this time.

Your perception completely describes mine. That's exactly what I heard when i auditioned the focal's.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #6,159 of 12,550
Have you ever thought of applying a parametric equalizer? You could dial in a bit subbass strength at around 25Hz and tame the brightness peak at 6KHz. Personally I added 4dB at 10KHz in order to open the soundstage a bit more.

I apply EQ to most of my headphones so I'm sure I will test out a few changes eventually.

The Clear sounds good as is though, I don't have any particular issues with the sound signature. I'm ok with the bit of brightness and the bass response out of the box. The bass is really good, honestly. I'm ok with it not being elevated. It still gives you some thump when needed and it doesn't sound like it crosses over into the lower mid range at all. This is another improvement over the Elear where the warmth of the bass goes into the lower mid range just a bit.

I like Oratorys EQ settings (Harman curve) for most headphones I've tried. But I think I'll leave the Clear as is for now.

Sep 1, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #6,160 of 12,550
So the Focal Clear's are currently on a promotional sale at $999. I've never owned a single headphone before as I have been strictly an IEM guy. I'm looking for something similar to my A18t (well, almost identical to actually) but in headphone form. Would the clears be good for me?

Thanks!

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #6,162 of 12,550
Another Focal Clear driver bites the dust.
Bought an "excellent" condition Focal recently. One of the drivers was defective with distortion and sound quality issue.
Did the headphone arrive defective? In that case you can claim your money back.
If the Clears arrived OK and broke down later, you could try to get it repaired under warranty.
Focal offers a 5 year, transferable warranty.

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #6,163 of 12,550
Bought it used, in excellent condition, at least on the outside. Returned it to the private seller.
In the US; warranty only applies if purchased from an authorized dealer. Not sure about transferable.
Some online authorized dealers (US) listed the Clear as 1 year warranty, some listed as 2 year warranty, never seen 5.

On a side note, Beyer T1 has 5 year warranty; that speaks confidence.

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #6,164 of 12,550
Bought it used, in excellent condition, at least on the outside. Returned it to the private seller.
In the US; warranty only applies if purchased from an authorized dealer. Not sure about transferable.
Some online authorized dealers (US) listed the Clear as 1 year warranty, some listed as 2 year warranty, never seen 5.

On a side note, Beyer T1 has 5 year warranty; that speaks confidence.

The warranty is 5 years transferable with the original invoice (if purchased from an authorized dealer).

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #6,165 of 12,550
In Lithuania there is only 2 years warranty and dealer give 1 more when you register it on their website.
There is no info about 5 years warranty on focal website. I couldnt see it nor my dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back