Focal Clear headphones
Mar 11, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #5,671 of 12,589
Has anybody used the Silver Dragon on their Clear? If so what did you think? How did it change the sound?

Also if you tried any other cables like the Black Dragon or Blue Dragon or any other brands, would be interested as well.
Has anybody used the Silver Dragon on their Clear? If so what did you think? How did it change the sound?

Also if you tried any other cables like the Black Dragon or Blue Dragon or any other brands, would be interested as well.

Mar 12, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #5,676 of 12,589
It would be interesting to have a bunch of listeners do a relatively blind comparison of the Clear and Utopia, with their choice of music, to see which they prefer. My guess/speculation is that the preferences wouldn't be too far from a 50/50 split, and it wouldn't uncommon for a given listener to sometimes prefer one and sometimes the other.
speculate away
The absence of double blind testing is telling. Psychological factors are quite powerful.
a controlled double blind test of a group of listeners takes some organising

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #5,677 of 12,589
I actual have 3 different aftermarket cables noted in my signature.

:wink:

I actually noted a comparison between the stock coiled cable and my latest from Trevor at Norne Audio in a recent post in this thread. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-clear-headphones.861727/page-221#post-14161763 Obviously there are a lot of cable manufacturers that are selling product that yields no significant benefit to the listener...or "would have been" listener.
I'd be curious to see if you took cable A which looked cheap, ie not a super custom logo ridden cable, and a expensive, thick, beutiful to hold and look at cable and did a comparison. But in reality the nicer looking cable was a crap Chineese made cable but looked good and the cheap, un assuming cable made with "high end internals", would you choose the better looking cable if you thought it not only looked better but cost more?
My guess is that we tell ourselves the more expensive looking, feeling/costing cable sounds better. I'm not so convinced it does. But hay, if one has the means, and they need to spend some cash to spruce up their cans, well to each his own.

Mar 15, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #5,678 of 12,589
I'd be curious to see if you took cable A which looked cheap, ie not a super custom logo ridden cable, and a expensive, thick, beutiful to hold and look at cable and did a comparison. But in reality the nicer looking cable was a crap Chineese made cable but looked good and the cheap, un assuming cable made with "high end internals", would you choose the better looking cable if you thought it not only looked better but cost more?
My guess is that we tell ourselves the more expensive looking, feeling/costing cable sounds better. I'm not so convinced it does. But hay, if one has the means, and they need to spend some cash to spruce up their cans, well to each his own.
... and a super expensive gold, titanium, uranium or whatever cable at $1k isnt going to help a set of cans that you didnt quite like the sound signature of. And why is it that if the cable does change the SQ, that we all say it changes it for the better. Becuase no way is that $1k cable going to make it sound like crap! lol. my 2 cents. and BTW, you can get some excellent made cables that are made w quality cable, covering and connectors for a reasonable price.

Mar 15, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #5,679 of 12,589
... and a super expensive gold, titanium, uranium or whatever cable at $1k isnt going to help a set of cans that you didnt quite like the sound signature of. And why is it that if the cable does change the SQ, that we all say it changes it for the better. Becuase no way is that $1k cable going to make it sound like crap! lol. my 2 cents. and BTW, you can get some excellent made cables that are made w quality cable, covering and connectors for a reasonable price.

You might want to look into how much a custom cable actually costs. The prices you're suggesting are more than 3 times what I paid. There's nothing wrong with sticking with whatever cable your cans came with. Everything is subjective, and nobody can say for sure what's best and what isn't for the person listening. I just popped in here because I got an email stating that somebody quoted me. Staying active in these threads has only taught me that what I own already, isn't good enough anymore. Best of luck finding the best combo that works for you...

:slight_smile:

Mar 16, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #5,680 of 12,589
What's the best value Amp/DAC (combo or together) for the Clears?

Australian prices can be a bit screwed. So let's say if the clears are $2000 here, maybe $700 on Amp/DAC?

Considering R2R-11 or NFB11.28, or am aesethixally.pleasing Schiit stack. Or anything else bang for buck.

Mar 16, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #5,681 of 12,589

Australian prices can be a bit screwed. So let's say if the clears are $2000 here, maybe $700 on Amp/DAC?

Considering R2R-11 or NFB11.28, or am aesethixally.pleasing Schiit stack. Or anything else bang for buck.

For $700 you could get the Marantz HD DAC1. I am amazed how musical this DAC/AMP combo is and the Marantz is dead-silent with the Clear.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #5,682 of 12,589

i spent abt the same amount on an amp and dac

Atom + Mojo

Mar 16, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #5,684 of 12,589
Same as the headphone?

Stuff down here isn't cheap enough :frowning2:

I think $700-1000 is sweet spot for DAC/amp.

I do have a JDS Labs Element. It's ok.

Keep what you have and save yourself the $700 IMO. I have not heard the Element but it is well thought of and reviewed for a reason!

I use my Clears with Chord Hugo 2, having upgraded from a Mojo. Would highly recommend both but obviously Hugo 2 is somewhat more expensive than $700 and Mojo may not be your thing.

Mar 16, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #5,685 of 12,589
You might want to look into how much a custom cable actually costs. The prices you're suggesting are more than 3 times what I paid. There's nothing wrong with sticking with whatever cable your cans came with. Everything is subjective, and nobody can say for sure what's best and what isn't for the person listening. I just popped in here because I got an email stating that somebody quoted me. Staying active in these threads has only taught me that what I own already, isn't good enough anymore. Best of luck finding the best combo that works for you...

:slight_smile:
I've seen custom cables for over $2k .And my point is , is the $2k really what your paying for. Is the $2k the reason we think it sounds better? If the same cable was made to look cheaper and sold for $50 would it sound different? It shouldn't but subjectively a person in this crazy hobby will certainly tell themselves the more expensive sounds better . Just saying .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back