Focal Clear headphones
Jan 10, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #5,221 of 12,550
Hi ctaxxxx,

I think you are making great points in analyzing these headphones.

If I remember correctly, you like to listen to metal, like me?

Among those headphones you mentioned, I think that the Clear is the one that may please the most people because the resolution, dynamics, etc, of the Utopia is too much for some persons, and because the Utopia, although quite neutral, is a little less neutral than the Clear.

I see several reasons speaking for the Utopia over the Clear in your case:

1. If you listen to metal, the super-speed combined with the dynamics of the Utopia make them so much better than the Clear and the Elegia for listening to the super-fast, complex and aggressive music which is common in the metal genre. Each time it is such a thrilling and delightful experience. The Utopia is the one with the less sub-bass of these three headphones, yet for metal the Utopia has for me without any doubt the bess bass because it is so much faster, which is far more important for me for keeping with the pace metal and all the instruments playing at full speed and impact.

2. Re. a complement to the Elegia, the Clear is closer to the Elegia, I think that the Utopia and the Elegia complement each other better.

3. Also, in general, the Utopia is in several aspects a kind of ultimate headphone worth owning if financially possible.

BTW, I have my computer upscale all my music (e.g. be it CD quality 44kHz-16 bits) to a higher frequency and higher dynamic range before sending to my DAC over USB and it makes a real improvement with the Utopia.

Wishing you all a lot of pleasure with your music and your audio equipment,
bidn

What scaling software are you using?

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #5,222 of 12,550
What scaling software are you using?

A utility (madiface) by the manufacturer (RME) of the DAC that comes integrated with the driver of my DAC (RME ADI 2 Pro).

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #5,224 of 12,550
How do you think Elegia and MDR-Z1R compare, especially in the low end? These two have been on my mind as possible closed back alternatives.
i'll throw in my two cents' worth - i listened to the elegia after comparing the empyrean and utopia, so that may have affected my response to it, but i disliked it. i found its presentation too upfront. treble sounded aggressive and "unnatural" to my ears. i rarely feel the need to take a headphone off within moments of putting it on but that was my reaction to it. i'd much rather listen to the z1r tbh.

Jan 11, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #5,227 of 12,550
Thanks. I don’t suppose you’ve heard any Chord DACs paired w/ your Utopias?

Yes, but re. the Hugo 2, I prefer my RME. Dave + Utopia is sonically heavenly and clearly better than my RME but haven't bought the expensive Dave so far because I hate Chord design, especially that the Dave is very unpractical re. stacking, and I have been hoping that a Dave 2 will appear in 2020.
Discussing the Utopia only is off-topic, so I am stopping here.

Jan 11, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #5,229 of 12,550
These headphones are too heavy to wear while walking! How portable do you want to get?

I really like it paired with the AK sp1000. I also use the ALO CV5 from the line out on the SP1000 when I want a little tube love.

Jan 11, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #5,230 of 12,550
I am tired of just having to sit still to listen to music. I want to also go real portable, anybody used the clear with fiio m9? Or better option that plays well with clear. Your suggestions will be appreciated

Hi. I have both the Clears and the M9. Sound is good but the Clears deserve better, in my opinion. So I use the M9 into a Hugo 2 and this to the Clears as semi-portable (within home) option.

And then I use the M9 with some Iems for commuting, travelling, etc.

Jan 15, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #5,232 of 12,550
Tbh I must say that i wish the clears had the headband of the likes of audeze, hifiman and Co as i find myself adjusting them often, it gives me the feeling that it's sliding a bit and everytime i am struggling with adjusting it my wife looks at me and keep asking if everything is OK with me. It looks crazy lol.

Jan 15, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #5,233 of 12,550
I went to local shop to listen Sennheiser HD660S, but then I saw Clears and thought i'll give them a listen first. And that was a mistake:beyersmile:. They had a perfect sound signature I have always dreamed of, I was just in heaven. I have owned HD800/SDR with Gumby and Mjolnir2 and AFO-s etc, but Clear was my favourite. And yeah, now I want to buy them :beyersmile: . Only thing that disturbs me is the non replaceable headband. I just don't get it. 1500usd headphone and you can't replace such a simple thing, which just wears out in time anyway. Now I don't know what to do.

Jan 15, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #5,234 of 12,550
I went to local shop to listen Sennheiser HD660S, but then I saw Clears and thought i'll give them a listen first. And that was a mistake:beyersmile:. They had a perfect sound signature I have always dreamed of, I was just in heaven. I have owned HD800/SDR with Gumby and Mjolnir2 and AFO-s etc, but Clear was my favourite. And yeah, now I want to buy them :beyersmile: . Only thing that disturbs me is the non replaceable headband. I just don't get it. 1500usd headphone and you can't replace such a simple thing, which just wears out in time anyway. Now I don't know what to do.

Wait for a sale by a reputable dealer and buy one! After that buy a cover for the headband in the same color (this is what i did: Look up pure wool headband for headphones)

Jan 15, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #5,235 of 12,550
Wait for a sale by a reputable dealer and buy one! After that buy a cover for the headband in the same color (this is what i did: Look up pure wool headband for headphones)

I don't like headband covers. I like to look of Clear and I want nothing to add there.
So only option is just to treat them gently and enjoy the sound i guess :)

Little edit: I got a very good price (at least I think it is very good price) from local shop and latest end of February I will be joining Clear club :)

Will get them for a home demo this weekend, so I don't think I will sleep very much :beyersmile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back