Focal Clear headphones
Nov 8, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #4,906 of 12,550
Unfortunately, my budget does not go that high lol... I did try the iSine 20, but could not get a good fit.

I had to go with aftermarket tips (Spinfit) and a lot of fiddling to get a good overall fit. Even now, I still find them a bit finnicky. Proper seal and fit is definitely imperative to get good sound of the Audeze i-series.

Nov 8, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #4,907 of 12,550
Unfortunately, my budget does not go that high lol...
(...)
I've been hesitant with Campfire after buying (and returning) their Cascades. Their house sound seem to be very bass emphasized, which is not what I'm looking for. I liked the Elegia's bass for it's quick speed and dynamics. Makes rock and metal very fun.

Hi ctaxxxx,

if you love metal and rock (I do love metal), have a limited budget, and care about speed, dynamics and bass,
I can say that a natural choice would be a... Focal IEM: the Focal Sphear (S), which makes metal fun for me. Their sound is also very detailed, clean (SNR) with great imaging and they are very easy to drive (I enjoy them just out of Samsung smartphones). So they will give you many of the features you would get with the Clear. They are made in China, so inexpensive (I think they cost officially € 120, but can be found for less). So I own few pairs, have always a pair with me and at this price I don't have to care about them getting stolen.
There are some downsides though:
- although small, they are not ideally shaped for long listening sessions without interruption
- their FR is not neutral, somewhat V-shaped (but still OK, otherwise I would not listen to them, I too could not cope with the oversized bass of the Campfire Cascade when I tested them) and the treble doesn't extend far in the highs. This is where you will not get what the Clear gives you. But for the price...

If you want to give up more money (about 10 x more) , you could go for RHA CL2 planar IEMs ( € 900), but the treble is a bit strong, which can be an issue for some people.

Hoping you can find an IEMs which gives you many of the goodies of the Clear,
bidn

Nov 8, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #4,908 of 12,550
By all accounts so far it's very evenly tuned throughout the frequency response and has uncanny layering and imaging. I understand where you're coming from, I'm not a bass person and the only CFA product I've liked are the Andros on the right source. That being said, people familiar with both the Andros and the Solaris are saying the Solaris is just an excellent, natural evolution of the overall Andro sound.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Andromeda, but that was mainly with an iEMatch... I've subscribed to the thread though. It's price makes it seem like it will be a great competitor to the more expensive options.

I have a suggestion. I have a production Pola from Shozy/AAW that might float your boat. It’s a hybrid electrostat in ear and is very efficient. The bass is not heavy, rather is very much like the Clear. The mids & highs are very detailed. I might liken it to your goal. The release on the formal product is coming very soon if you’re not in a major hurry. It may not be in ample supply for a month or so. I know we are going to carry them but I’m not sure who else is going to carry them. We will likely add one to our loaner library for review. We are sending quite a few to the magazines for review as well.

I think the price will be $699???? Not 100% sure yet

Thanks, just finished reading up on it. Seems interesting. That price is really tempting for sure, and I've never heard an electrostatic before. I'll be on the lookout for more impressions.
-----

Honestly, when it comes to quick IEM bass, my Hyla CE-5 are perfect. It's just the thinner mids make it less than ideal. The Elegia does this with fuller mids. I'm assuming the Clear does this, but at a higher resolution.

I just got a reply in another thread that the Focal Clear has a bit less clamping force than the Elegia. I may still consider getting it if that's the case... :thinking:

Nov 8, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #4,909 of 12,550
I have heard a lot of good things about the Andromeda, but that was mainly with an iEMatch... I've subscribed to the thread though. It's price makes it seem like it will be a great competitor to the more expensive options.

Thanks, just finished reading up on it. Seems interesting. That price is really tempting for sure, and I've never heard an electrostatic before. I'll be on the lookout for more impressions.
-----

Honestly, when it comes to quick IEM bass, my Hyla CE-5 are perfect. It's just the thinner mids make it less than ideal. The Elegia does this with fuller mids. I'm assuming the Clear does this, but at a higher resolution.

I just got a reply in another thread that the Focal Clear has a bit less clamping force than the Elegia. I may still consider getting it if that's the case... :thinking:

I think it’s more that the ear pads that makes the Clear feel like there is less clamping force.

I use the Elegia when I’m practicing on my bass. I also use the Clear but only when the wife isn’t around.

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Nov 9, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #4,910 of 12,550
Anyone happen to know of any IEMs that sound identical, or similar, to the Focal Clear?

I've got the Focal Elegia and have been tempted of upgrading (already lol), but I've been hesitant due to some comfort issues with my TMJ. Might be the Elegia's clamp and pad size, since my Z1R does not give this much grief... Does the Clear clamp this much?

I think Campfire Andromeda with its detail, clarity, large soundstage for an IEM, speed, pristine highs, solid (but not overly excessive) bass.

Nov 9, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #4,911 of 12,550
I think it’s more that the ear pads that makes the Clear feel like there is less clamping force.

I use the Elegia when I’m practicing on my bass. I also use the Clear but only when the wife isn’t around.
There's also some difference between the Clear and Elear's clamping force, which I think is down to the Clear's pads being a bit firmer, so yeah that's a possible explanation. Would make sense if the Elegia uses even firmer pads to isolate more.

Nov 9, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #4,912 of 12,550
There's also some difference between the Clear and Elear's clamping force, which I think is down to the Clear's pads being a bit firmer, so yeah that's a possible explanation. Would make sense if the Elegia uses even firmer pads to isolate more.
I found my Elex (converted Elear) has too much clampfor me, so I carefully stretched it over the box and left it for 24h. It loosened up just perfectly, much more comfy now. Be careful if you do this - the headband has weak points and is not fixable.

Nov 9, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #4,913 of 12,550

The same also holds true when comparing the Clear and Elex, with the Clear having firmer pads and more clamping pressure.

Nov 9, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #4,914 of 12,550

I see. Maybe I should play it safe and just go the IEM route.

The Clear has been going cheap used though. I could see myself buying and reselling...

I found my Elex (converted Elear) has too much clampfor me, so I carefully stretched it over the box and left it for 24h. It loosened up just perfectly, much more comfy now. Be careful if you do this - the headband has weak points and is not fixable.

I've tried this, but with a headphone stand and those air packs used for shipping in between the Elegia, but maybe it wasn't enough.

Do you max out the yokes? Or just leave it at the same size as when it sits on your head?

Nov 9, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #4,915 of 12,550
I find the Clear to be almost unbearable due to excessive clamping pressure. Apart from sound quality benefits, comfort is the main reason I am upgrading to the Utopia, as the lambskin leather pads with larger openings are simply superior in every regard to the alcantara ones on the Clear. The Utopia gives this ultimate feeling of luxury and comfort (despite being heavier), whereas the Clear is clearly a level below. Haven’t had the chance to try the Elear or the Elegia, so I can’t comment.

Nov 9, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #4,916 of 12,550
I've tried this, but with a headphone stand and those air packs used for shipping in between the Elegia, but maybe it wasn't enough.

Do you max out the yokes? Or just leave it at the same size as when it sits on your head?
If I remember correctly I minimised the yokes so the cups would have maximum stretch. Since I swapped out my Elear pads for Elex pads, I put the crappy Elear pads back on for this so the Elex pads wouldn't get compressed. Just carefully stretch the headphones over the box and if you see that you need to extend the yokes a bit to put less pressure on the headband, then do so. As long as the cups are stretched out wider than what you'd wear them, that's all you need. If you only have Elegia pads, I suggest you remove them and put some towelling instead of the pads. You'll want something relatively firm but protective. And remember again - go easy on that headband. If you think it's stretching too far or start to hear any nasty creaking noises, pull back.

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #4,917 of 12,550
I find the Clear to be almost unbearable due to excessive clamping pressure. Apart from sound quality benefits, comfort is the main reason I am upgrading to the Utopia, as the lambskin leather pads with larger openings are simply superior in every regard to the alcantara ones on the Clear. The Utopia gives this ultimate feeling of luxury and comfort (despite being heavier), whereas the Clear is clearly a level below. Haven’t had the chance to try the Elear or the Elegia, so I can’t comment.
I actually find the Clear more comfortable than the Utopia lol, It just moulds better to my head. guess we´re all different.

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #4,918 of 12,550
Got to spend a decent amount of time with the Elegia today!
Going back and forth between the Elegia and Clear, I can tell you that the Elegia is pretty much exactly what I thought (or hoped) that a closed-back Clear would sound like.
Is it AS GOOD as the Clear? Nope. But can you really expect that from a closed-back? I don't think so. The tuning is quite similar to the Clear, and it´s got that Focal dynamic impact! But being a closed back, it sounds a little more closed-in, less airy. Especially with music where there's a lot going on, the Elegia gets a bit crowded. It doesn't have the same level of air, separation and clarity that the Clear has. But that's what you get when you close a headphone, and its still good enough that I can sit down with it and really enjoy how it sounds. There are some benefits of being closed swell, the Elegia´s bass is a little elevated compared to the open-back Focals, and by far the deepest and most powerful sub bass!
I think everyone (or at least the majority) who likes Focal headphones, will like the Elegia. It is truly a Focal.

Also got to try the Hifiman Jade II system (which apparently is the only system currently in Europe, releasing in a months time) aswell as the Shangri-La Jr. They were surprisingly "fun" for being electrostatic. And right after hearing the Shangri-La jr, I went back to the Clear and could still enjoy it as much as before. Just shows how good the Clear is when it still sounds good immediately after hearing a 10k$ system. MrEijnS3RMWfkKnYHNLwuw.jpgTTKWD8ktRcaOeDePEs0ipw.jpg%xYQ6Ia2QQ2W2pf0Tzslfw.jpgYTrP5%zBR5KiaCfUVQwj3A.jpg1%g%dR+qRrmzMBOmUWc0Uw.jpg

Nov 10, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #4,919 of 12,550
Got to spend a decent amount of time with the Elegia today!
Going back and forth between the Elegia and Clear, I can tell you that the Elegia is pretty much exactly what I thought (or hoped) that a closed-back Clear would sound like.

Thanks man!
That’s what I needed.
I loved the clear when I tried it a year ago, couldn’t shell out the dough back then. Bought the Audeze isine 10, which is pretty good dynamics wise. Now it’s going to be the elegia. Clear next year.
Cheers bro

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #4,920 of 12,550

Most people find the fabric of the Clear more comfortable than the leather of the Utopia. But if you want leather, then the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads (very similar to Utopia pads) are a good solution as an upgrade for the Clear.

I have them (see my profile pic), no regrets.

By the way, the opening is the same on all pads. Utopia is not bigger.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back