Focal Clear headphones
Oct 28, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #4,801 of 12,550
Using the AK70 Mk II, and just ordered the Clear. Anyone else here have this combination?

Question: I know the Clear has a low impedance and they sounded great when I was testing them out. But, for best quality, does the AK70 Mk II suffice, or should I get an amp? If so, which one is reasonable and portable?

When I purchased my Clears used, I heard them on a FiiO Q5 and they sounded amazing.

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #4,805 of 12,550
I agree that the results of fast switching A/B tests may not necessarily generalize to normal listening. But longer-duration tests have their own problems too. IMO, there's no ideal test, so the best option may be test in various ways and then make a judgment, recognizing that the potential for error can't be entirely eliminated. I did my A/B tests in various ways, and the one I thing I concluded with some confidence is that the difference between these DAC/amps is a lot less than I had previously thought - I learned how powerful the effect of expectation bias can be. It was a disconcerting finding, but when I kept getting the same finding, I had to accept it.

My thoughts exactly. I now am convinced that I used to overestimate my hearing capabilities as a measuring device.

Focal clear is a highly senditive low impedance headphone. Headphones don’t get much easier to drive than these.

I auditioned Clear with my AK70. Sounded great!

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #4,806 of 12,550
Got them yesterday, had a bit of listening time (~1 hour) on my MacBook Pro and straight out of iPhone X via Apple dongle. Initial thoughts (from a non-audiophile):

My previous headphones were Grado SR80i and UE Triple.Fi 10.
As detailed as the TF10 is, I was amazed to hear even more detail on the Clear. In a quiet enough environment, you can hear breathing, and even some electronic sounds added additional "vibrato" like details that I hadn't heard before.

I'm impressed that the TF10 was able to get me maybe 80-90% there on less than $200, but I'm still excited to re-listen to my music with the Clears.

My next check is to compare the MBP and iPhone X sounds, see if there really is a need for an amp. On my iPhone X, 60% volume is already loud enough with my music library, though Head-Fi's "Open Your Ears" FLAC soundtrack played from the Files app needs to crank the volume up to around 90%.

Some online research suggests the Sennheiser HD800s are even more detailed, but then I'd definitely have to get an amp, less portable, etc. etc.

Oct 29, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #4,807 of 12,550
Okay Guys, I need some community feedback, last week, I was listening to my replacement pair of Clear, on my replacement Lyr 3 (both warranty replacements) and it happened again. A rushing sound, like a tube failure, then highly distorted, “tin can” sound. Exactly the same experience I had three months ago, a dead pair of Clear, on multiple amps, and a Lyr 3 that sounds fine with other headphones.

I listen to the Clear at low to moderate levels because of their clarity, the Abyss are my jam headphones. I use Furman Surge Protectors, so that’s not the problem. Any similar experience, thoughts on the culprit?<

Oct 30, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #4,809 of 12,550
Got them yesterday, had a bit of listening time (~1 hour) on my MacBook Pro and straight out of iPhone X via Apple dongle. Initial thoughts (from a non-audiophile):

My previous headphones were Grado SR80i and UE Triple.Fi 10.
As detailed as the TF10 is, I was amazed to hear even more detail on the Clear. In a quiet enough environment, you can hear breathing, and even some electronic sounds added additional "vibrato" like details that I hadn't heard before.

I'm impressed that the TF10 was able to get me maybe 80-90% there on less than $200, but I'm still excited to re-listen to my music with the Clears.

My next check is to compare the MBP and iPhone X sounds, see if there really is a need for an amp. On my iPhone X, 60% volume is already loud enough with my music library, though Head-Fi's "Open Your Ears" FLAC soundtrack played from the Files app needs to crank the volume up to around 90%.

Some online research suggests the Sennheiser HD800s are even more detailed, but then I'd definitely have to get an amp, less portable, etc. etc.
To my ears the Macbook Pro (mine is a 2017 touch bar) and iphone dongles sound pretty equal, perhaps a slight nod towards the MBP. Adding a good dac/amp (I use a Hugo, but something like a dfly or Mojo would also be nice) is an upgrade to my ears, but not absolutely necessary the way it is with some other high-end headphones like the HD800S.
The Clear still sounds great out of the MBP.

Oct 30, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #4,810 of 12,550
I always enjoy finding reference quality music to greater appreciate the headphones. I came across some pretty good YouTube Jazz live concert material & thought I'd post a link for something that gives exquisite instrument representation. (Drums, Fender bass, Steinway Grand piano & electric guitar). There's some soloing of each that's worth the 12-1/2 minutes of your time IMO. If you have heard these instruments live, this comes real close to live experience I feel.

And another for that buttery Jazz guitar tone & fuzzy growl of the acoustic double bass.

If anyone has something they consider reference quality, I'm sure there are those here that would love to get the link to help assess the Focal Clear.
I am very impressed with how musical these headphones are & find that long term fatigue is a non issue as with some headphones. Very nice musical balance.
B.

Oct 30, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #4,811 of 12,550
Okay Guys, I need some community feedback, last week, I was listening to my replacement pair of Clear, on my replacement Lyr 3 (both warranty replacements) and it happened again. <
Did you replace also the Lyr 3? Why, because you suspected of it, or did it just broke as well?
Replacements under warranty may not be a new unit but a repaired one, in which case the effect is fixed/replaced, but he cause may still be in the product.
Must be very frustrating. But now it is confirmed the two failure it was not a big coincidence or severe bad luck. There is a non-random factor somewhere there.
Using the serial number of both products, can you confirm, for all replaced products ( two Clear and one Lyr 3 I assume), if the whole unit was replaced or they were just repaired?
If for example in one product (Clear or Lyr 3) it is same the original SN, and on the other it is not, it will indicate the most likely suspect is the one with still the same original SN.

Oct 30, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #4,812 of 12,550
Did you replace also the Lyr 3? Why, because you suspected of it, or did it just broke as well?
Replacements under warranty may not be a new unit but a repaired one, in which case the effect is fixed/replaced, but he cause may still be in the product.
Must be very frustrating. But now it is confirmed the two failure it was not a big coincidence or severe bad luck. There is a non-random factor somewhere there.
Using the serial number of both products, can you confirm, for all replaced products ( two Clear and one Lyr 3 I assume), if the whole unit was replaced or they were just repaired?
If for example in one product (Clear or Lyr 3) it is same the original SN, and on the other it is not, it will indicate the most likely suspect is the one with still the same original SN.

The Clear were brand new, not sure on the Amp, I didn’t check the serial number on the first one (dumb on my part).

Oct 30, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #4,813 of 12,550
The Clear were brand new, not sure on the Amp, I didn’t check the serial number on the first one (dumb on my part).

Hi Wildcatsare1,

In this case I would assume that the cause of your misfortunes is the Lyr 3 unit, and go alltogether for a different kind of amp.

I can recommend combining Focal headphones with the RME ADI-2 PR0 (or ADI-2 DAC). Except one person anybody else was very positive about this combination.

Good luck,
bidn

Oct 30, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #4,814 of 12,550
In that case, although there is no clear evidence of the guilty, I think it is more likely that the problem is in the Lyr than in the Clear. But it even can be none of them.
Regarding alternative amp, I would say the best choice is no amp. The best choice is a Chord dac with its integrated amp. Chord dacs leave competition far far behind, and an external amp will likely destroy the sound quality of the chord dac.

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #4,815 of 12,550
Okay Guys, I need some community feedback, last week, I was listening to my replacement pair of Clear, on my replacement Lyr 3 (both warranty replacements) and it happened again. A rushing sound, like a tube failure, then highly distorted, “tin can” sound. Exactly the same experience I had three months ago, a dead pair of Clear, on multiple amps, and a Lyr 3 that sounds fine with other headphones.

I listen to the Clear at low to moderate levels because of their clarity, the Abyss are my jam headphones. I use Furman Surge Protectors, so that’s not the problem. Any similar experience, thoughts on the culprit?<
Have you tried the Clear with a solid state amp? From my experience the Clear does not play well with tube amps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back