Focal Clear headphones
Oct 12, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #4,681 of 12,543
^ Even the Elear and Utopia sounded quite similar to me when I compared them back to back multiple times.

Oct 12, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #4,683 of 12,543
Really appreciate the honesty. Sometimes it is hard to tell from opinions of someone is saying how much better the clear is if it’s unknown bias or placebo or if they are just talking 2-5% difference for almost double the price.
Maybe I will pull the trigger on the Elex probably used since they’re fully in stock ready to ship from massdrop now. Used seem to be around $500

This is really refreshing, and a reminder of just how close many of these high-end headphones are to each other at this level. Having used my ‘Elex’ (Elear with Elex pads, which is the same thing) for a few weeks now, I can tell there are audible and measurable differences between the Elear and Elex sound signature, but they’re very much from the same family. In fact you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference between them with tracks that don’t emphasize their particular sound signature emphasis - as you’ve ably demonstrated above. I’d wager the same applies to the Elex/Clear, as you’ve described.

Considering the only major difference between those two is the voice coil (and possibly driver housing or damping, since they use the same driver), it’s no surprise the Elex is described by many different users as “95% of the Clear” with the other 5% being different presentation of certain frequencies. The Clear is also easier to drive, which explains your volume matching issues.

In any case, reviews like yours are important in that they remind us of the very real law of diminishing returns: past a certain point you’re paying twice as much for single digit ‘improvements’, and it’s up to each of us to decide if that return is worth the investment or better spent elsewhere.

^ Even the Elear and Utopia sounded quite similar to me when I compared them back to back multiple times.

I appreciate your responses. I'm planning to keep them both since I have different uses for them (LOL that's what I'm telling myself) and of course I really like how they sound :L3000:

...On another note, since this hobby is an endless chase down a rabbit hole, are the 2Qute or Qutest DACs a good pairing with the Clear?

Oct 14, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #4,684 of 12,543
New Clear owner here. Coming from Denon AH-D2000 that I used since ~2012.

My initial Clear impressions were quite negative. Bassy af, but not in a good way. Felt like there was too much muffled bass,but it also wasn't hitting hard when it needed to. I was incredibly put off by how small soundstage was. Acoustic guitars sounded all wrong. The in-your-face sound was bordering on annoying.

I knew it's going to take time to readjust. Denons are notorious for having sucked out mids, sibilant highs, and tame but deep bass, yet its the sound I adored for the past 6 years.

Now 3 weeks later, I'm getting re-adjusted, and starting to enjoy Clears. I'm beginning to appreciate that bass and mids. Music sounds much more engaging and tonality is much more accurate. Sounds closer to what the music would sound like if it was played live, especially with pop. I'm still not convinced that I prefer them with some rock/acoustic pieces, but I'm definitely impressed everywhere else.

Essentially within 3 weeks my opinion has changed from "EWWW" to "WOW".

Overall, There's no question that Clear is far superior technically to D2000. Denons now sound tinny and distant in comparison, although I can still appreciate slightly larger soundstage, laid back nature and and emphasis on the high frequencies. I have suspicion that after few months, I will stop reaching for my Denons forever.

I got Denon's for $220, Clear are $1100. So the cost is 5x more. Do they sound 5x better.... NO, but they do sound substantially better, so I'll be keeping at least until I can try HD 800 S.

Oct 15, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #4,686 of 12,543
considering the clear or newly tweaked audeze lcd2 classic
looking for a versatile set of cans for rock, jazz, pop, instrumental.

Those 2 headphones are completely different though. But if you're looking for versatility you can't go better then the Clear. The LCD2C is more relaxed and does some genres better then others.

Oct 15, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #4,687 of 12,543
thanks..i have the fostex ebony thx-00...under 10 hrs with lawton audio upgrade.
just had a 1st time listen on the wkend: wow, they're such fun cans for rock, pop etc...no wonder they're so popular. (was watching some rock concerts on my oled tv on the wkend: optical out to chord mojo then to fostex cans)
(also have my FLC 8S iems).

so originally i was considering NOT getting back into cans
but the ebonys have turned me around, hence considering these 2 models (clear and lcd2c)
so am now looking to step it up for SQ...but this means i'd also have to step up my dac/amp:
currently is a chord mojo.

my genres: rock, pop, folk, instrumental...don't want a compressed soundstage,
love quality bass

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #4,688 of 12,543
thanks..i have the fostex ebony thx-00...under 10 hrs with lawton audio upgrade.
just had a 1st time listen on the wkend: wow, they're such fun cans for rock, pop etc...no wonder they're so popular. (was watching some rock concerts on my oled tv on the wkend: optical out to chord mojo then to fostex cans)
(also have my FLC 8S iems).

so originally i was considering NOT getting back into cans
but the ebonys have turned me around, hence considering these 2 models (clear and lcd2c)
so am now looking to step it up for SQ...but this means i'd also have to step up my dac/amp:
currently is a chord mojo.

my genres: rock, pop, folk, instrumental...don't want a compressed soundstage,
love quality bass

You don't have to change your amp the chord mojo is great. You're looking for an upgrade in sound. Well.. That's a though one. The LCD 2 i wouldn't say is an upgrade to the ebony, but more a different sound signature. It's laid back, planar, super dark and super relaxing, euphoric some even call it. But no straight upgrade because it's so different. The Focal clear is versitale, dynamic and very balanced i would say this is closer to what i call an "upgrade" But still quite different to the ebonys.

But be carefull trying to upgrade headphones too fast, this hobby is just sucks you in.
Try enjoying the music more then enjoying the gear. and upgrade slowly.

Hope this helps.

Oct 15, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #4,689 of 12,543
Not necessarily. Could just be a different voice coil like Clear vs Elex/Elear that all share the same driver.

The magnet structure(visible from the driver break-down pictures) is different and possibly the amount of voice coil windings are different.

Elear.
124073550058e4f50d6760e7.98252084.jpg

Elegia.
upload_2018-10-15_14-23-21.jpeg

Oct 15, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #4,690 of 12,543
Ok, received the Clear today. The packaging is really great, as it should be given the price. The carrying case looks and feels quality made, the cables are neatly packed and look good, and the headphones themselves are probably one of the sexiest looking out there. Classy!

For the first impression I used 2 sources:

1. LG G7 ThinQ - this is a great modern Android phone with an ESS Sabre Quad HiFi DAC (same as inside the LG V30) and it drives the Clear effortlessly.
2. Ayre Codex - very well known DAC/headphone amp. Also comes with a Sabre DAC. I used only the 1/4” unbalanced connection as the stock cables don’t have the needed dual 3.5mm balanced jacks, so I will need to buy or build an adapter in order to get the most out of the Ayre.

General first impression: OK. The headphones are a bit heavy and could be more comfortable. I expected more clarity and more sparkle in the highs, but the headphones need time to burn in so I will give them a chance. The lows are good enough, the bass is nicely textured, goes pretty deep and doesn’t jump out. The midrange is very very good. The treble is a bit rolled off for my liking and lacks sparkle. I really expected more from the highs. The headphones are very dynamic with great slam, and are definitely an all-rounder, meaning very capable to deal with any music genre. However, they portray a rather smallish soundstage, which is nice for intimate jazz recording and such (a bit lacking in the large orchestral works department). The separation/imaging is excellent though.

I will evaluate them properly after sufficient burn in. But the earliest impression tells me I will have to stretch out and get the Utopia :wink:

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #4,691 of 12,543
they portray a rather smallish soundstage, which is nice for intimate jazz recording and such (a bit lacking in the large orchestral works department).

Do others agree about the Clear's soundstage? I was looking at them, but listen to a lot of orchestral music. These would not be the headphones for me. Also, do others concur about the highs being a little lacking?

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #4,692 of 12,543
Ok, received the Clear today. The packaging is really great, as it should be given the price. The carrying case looks and feels quality made, the cables are neatly packed and look good, and the headphones themselves are probably one of the sexiest looking out there. Classy!

For the first impression I used 2 sources:

1. LG G7 ThinQ - this is a great modern Android phone with an ESS Sabre Quad HiFi DAC (same as inside the LG V30) and it drives the Clear effortlessly.
2. Ayre Codex - very well known DAC/headphone amp. Also comes with a Sabre DAC. I used only the 1/4” unbalanced connection as the stock cables don’t have the needed dual 3.5mm balanced jacks, so I will need to buy or build an adapter in order to get the most out of the Ayre.

General first impression: OK. The headphones are a bit heavy and could be more comfortable. I expected more clarity and more sparkle in the highs, but the headphones need time to burn in so I will give them a chance. The lows are good enough, the bass is nicely textured, goes pretty deep and doesn’t jump out. The midrange is very very good. The treble is a bit rolled off for my liking and lacks sparkle. I really expected more from the highs. The headphones are very dynamic with great slam, and are definitely an all-rounder, meaning very capable to deal with any music genre. However, they portray a rather smallish soundstage, which is nice for intimate jazz recording and such (a bit lacking in the large orchestral works department). The separation/imaging is excellent though.

I will evaluate them properly after sufficient burn in. But the earliest impression tells me I will have to stretch out and get the Utopia :wink:

Interesting impressions. I have been listening to my Clear's for 2 weeks now. I have a Lake People G109-A and an Emotiva A-100 that I use as my headphone amps. My source is a Sony xa5400es sacd player and a Wyred 4 Sound Dac-2. My other headphones are Sennheiser HD-600 with a Cardas cable and modified Hifiman HE-500. If I wear the headphones for more than 30 minutes at a time the Clears are the most comfortable, followed by the HD 600's and then the HE -500. I agree with you regarding the bass , but there is enough treble and sparkle for me. (I would not want any more treble or sparkle) Vocals are really good and a bit brighter that the HE-500's- the HD-600's sound too bright and thin compared to the Clears. I can live with the smaller soundstage as I find the dynamics and details in the music so enjoyable. These are my favorite headphones and my go to pair.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #4,693 of 12,543
Do others agree about the Clear's soundstage? I was looking at them, but listen to a lot of orchestral music. These would not be the headphones for me. Also, do others concur about the highs being a little lacking?

Definitely. The general consensus is that the soundstage is small. And lack of sparkle in treble is also something that annoys me. These would definitely be 2 biggest drawbacks for me.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #4,694 of 12,543
The highs are not lacking for me, if they were any brighter, fatigue would set in before I finished listening to a single album.......

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #4,695 of 12,543
Definitely. The general consensus is that the soundstage is small. And lack of sparkle in treble is also something that annoys me. These would definitely be 2 biggest drawbacks for me.

Sounds like I'm better off with my HE-560. Nice soundstage and highs. Much better for classical than my Sen 650. HE-560 make very nice classical and jazz headphones, but you know how it is always eyeing some other headphone too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back