Focal Clear headphones
Aug 26, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #4,366 of 12,579
Thanks for the reply. I already own an Auteur and I'm really enjoying it so far but sometimes I crave something with a little more separation and speed. I'm thinking about getting a Clear as a complimentary headphone. It's already very attractive to me since it'll be much more suitable for portable dac/amps than the Autuer is. I hate being tethered to my desk to listen to headphones.
My portable QP1R/ifi Micro DSD BL brick leaves my jaw hanging every time I strap it together with the Clears. I hate being tied to my desk.

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #4,369 of 12,579
It works well in your pocket, until you have to start connecting cables to it...lol. The BL was originally purchased as a desktop DAC/AMP at the suggestion of another member in here that I have great respect for. The fact that it's "portable" is a plus. It's not like I'm going to wear full sized HP's walking the streets, so fitting in my pocket wasn't a concern when I bought it. Actually...my QP1R has enough power to drive the Clears fairly well as a pocketable player. Just not with enough authority to get the volume that I want.

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #4,370 of 12,579
It works well in your pocket, until you have to start connecting cables to it...lol. The BL was originally purchased as a desktop DAC/AMP at the suggestion of another member in here that I have great respect for. The fact that it's "portable" is a plus. It's not like I'm going to wear full sized HP's walking the streets, so fitting in my pocket wasn't a concern when I bought it. Actually...my QP1R has enough power to drive the Clears fairly well as a pocketable player. Just not with enough authority to get the volume that I want.

I used my BL as a desktop solution, it held up well. My thing is, I like to walk the around the house and sometimes sit outside and listen to my music at night since it’s always super quiet where I live. The Black Label is a little awkward to Strap to an iPhone 6 unfortunately :/

Aug 26, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #4,371 of 12,579
I used my BL as a desktop solution, it held up well. My thing is, I like to walk the around the house and sometimes sit outside and listen to my music at night since it’s always super quiet where I live. The Black Label is a little awkward to Strap to an iPhone 6 unfortunately :/
I actually prefer the Black Label over the RME ADI-2 DAC that I was purchasing as a dedicated desktop. The RME can't touch it with the Clears, and I have no need/desire for a dedicated IEM desktop DAC/AMP.

Aug 27, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #4,373 of 12,579
Did you get to demo it? What were your thoughts? Sorry I didn’t get to give you any good demo tracks for it, I’m seeing this message now

I got to hear it briefly, I listened to some Trivium, Kendrick Lamar, and a few Madonna tracks since I had those on hand on my phone. I'm very impressed with the clear. Electric guitars sound very energetic and have a bit of "bite" to them. I see what people are talking about when they brag about the Clear's speed and attack. Very very engaging. Sub bass was very textured, the sound was very full. From my brief listen of the Elear a year ago, I remember it being a bit bloated and sort of boomy? That wasn't the case with the Clear. The sound stage felt pretty closed in but the separation and imaging was down right excellent. I really enjoyed metal with this headphone. I have to say though, vocals to me sound much better on the Auteur. Female vocals just sounded a bit off to me but nothing too bad. Still very enjoyable. It doesn't quite have the "natural timbre" that the Auteur has but damn it's fun to listen to. It just demands my attention where as the Auteur just gets me lost into the music so easily. I really want a Clear now, it would be the perfect compliment to the Auteur.

Edit: I forgot to add that the comfort was decent but nothing special. I had a slight hot spot on my head after 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #4,374 of 12,579
I might get the chance to hear the Clear tonight, does anyone have any songs they recommend to test with?

I guess I'm a bit late? But would say don't worry, every track you listen with Clear is a good test track, so be prepared to be positively impressed!
My 2 cents

Aug 28, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #4,375 of 12,579
I guess I'm a bit late? But would say don't worry, every track you listen with Clear is a good test track, so be prepared to be positively impressed!
My 2 cents

Just a bit late ;D but you're right. My brother in law's buddy has a Clear that I've gotten to audition twice in the last two days and I'm just in love with it. I slightly prefer the clear to the Autuer.

Aug 28, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #4,376 of 12,579
I have a brand new pair of Clear, a replacement for a pair damaged by an amp meltdown, let me know if you are interested.

Aug 31, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #4,378 of 12,579
So the RME ADI-2 DAC that I had hung high hopes on, is going back to the retailer. I can say that the ifi Black Label is even more amazing than I already thought it was...

Sep 1, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #4,380 of 12,579
I tried a pair of Clear's recently and I think I may have experienced what others have in that when playing anything with deep bass extension, I would hear an audible... I wouldn't say distortion, but it sounded like the "speakers" were reaching maximum excursion. Mind you, that while I wasn't playing them at low levels, I didn't think I was pushing them to their limits, either. I sent the pair back soon thereafter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back