Focal Clear headphones
Jan 17, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #1,876 of 12,550
make sure you allow some time to adjust to it. Out of the box I enjoyed it a lot, but it took a decent amount of time until I was floored by it.
Very true, I almost returned mine and now think it's the best.

Jan 17, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #1,877 of 12,550
I just received the Focal Clear and letting it run in a bit. I owned the Elear (but sold it) and have not heard the Utopia. So I'll be hearing it on its own terms.

Jan 17, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #1,878 of 12,550
Hopefully the next version of the Utopia will get the same FR voicing as the Clear, 'cuz that would pretty much be perfection. :heart_eyes:

Jan 17, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #1,881 of 12,550
A smidge more bass. Relax the treble a tad. Could be perfect.
Actually, now that I think about it, I would absolutely agree with this.
Because the Utopia's beryllium driver has such a hyper-detailed signature, a slightly greater boost in the 20-60Hz range (compared to the Clear) would go a long way in really balancing out its perceived FR.

Jan 17, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #1,883 of 12,550
FWIW I'm a huge fan of the Utopia vs the Clear. I've listened for 8-10 hours at a time on the Utopia without fatigue.

I've always enjoyed my treble though.
I'm a huge fan of the Utopia's treble too. But I've always felt it could really use some more heft below 80Hz to help balance it out.
The Utopia still has a more linear sounding bass response than most other open-backs, but because of its hyper-detailed nature, it still sounds somewhat bass-light to me. Especially when compared directly to the Clear.

Jan 17, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #1,885 of 12,550
I'm a huge fan of the Utopia's treble too. But I've always felt it could really use some more heft below 80Hz to help balance it out.
The Utopia still has a more linear sounding bass response than most other open-backs, but because of its hyper-detailed nature, it still sounds somewhat bass-light to me. Especially when compared directly to the Clear.

I still think the Clear is 'sharper' ... it must be my ears ! The Clear is great for long term listening but the Utopia is just so 'alive' ... and IMO - still - sounds better for bass !

Jan 17, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #1,887 of 12,550
I still think the Clear is 'sharper' ... it must be my ears ! The Clear is great for long term listening but the Utopia is just so 'alive' ... and IMO - still - sounds better for bass !
If your getting plenty of bass. And no sharpness in the treble region of your Utopias. Then you might have the best headphone in the world..

Jan 17, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #1,888 of 12,550
I just received the Focal Clear and letting it run in a bit. I owned the Elear (but sold it) and have not heard the Utopia. So I'll be hearing it on its own terms.

Apples and oranges, but I’m looking forward to how they compare to the Diana.

Jan 17, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #1,890 of 12,550
Hi,

I have what I find great news for the Focal Clear!
The German magazine Stereoplay, which I find the most reliable one (among the audio magazines in the languages I speak)
has measured, tested and reviewed the Clear and the Elear in their issue 2018-02.

They have very high words for the Clear, it made it to position three in their SQ ranking,
so now 2 Focal headphones occupy top positions in their SQ ranking (though incomplete as they haven't tested yet the LCD-4 and the Susvara):
#1 Focal Utopia
#2 Stax SR-009 & SRM-007t II / SRM727 II
#3 Focal Clear
#4 HD 800S
#5 Hifiman HE1000 V2

A few interesting short conclusive excerpts:

Re. the Clear vs Utopia:
Original = "Wer unbedingt das Wundermaterial Beryllium auf Ohren haben möchte oder über unbegrenztes Budget verfügt, müsste konsequenterweise zum Utopian greifen."
English = "Who absolutely wants to get the miraculous Beryllium material on his ears or who has unlimited spending power, should consequently go for the Utopia".

Re. Clear vs Elear (the Elear being ranked #8 in their SQ list):
Original = "Wer diese Preisklasse allerdings nicht ganz im Blick hat, dem bietet dem Elear und dem Clear zwei hervorragende Alternativen ... Der Elear is insgesamt etwas wärmer und weicher, der Clear eher etwas kontrastreicher und lebhafter abgestimmt ... Focal verzichtet auf übertriebene Räumlichkeit ... Am Ende bleibt doe Qual der Wahl. Jedes Modell hat seine Stärken; einen Fehler macht man nur, wenn man sich für keines der beiden entscheidet."
English = "For those who for are not considering this [Utopia's] price range, Focal provides excellent alternatives with the Elear and the Clear ... The Elear is globally somewhat warmer and softer, the Clear is tuned somewhat for more contrast and liveliness ... Focal abstains from exaggerated soundstage ... In the end what remains is the spoil for choice. Each model has its strengths; one makes a mistake only when not deciding [to acquire] for one of the two."

A few words from their summary for the Clear:
Original = "Merci, Focal! Die Franzosen haben es geschaft... .. Chapeau für diese imponierende Leistung"
English = "Thank you, Focal!.The French succeeded... Hat off for this impressive performance!"

They put their AP measurements of FR of the three Focal on the same graph, I will try to scan it later.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-17_21-52-36.png
    upload_2018-1-17_21-52-36.png
    102.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back