Focal Clear headphones
Jan 11, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #1,742 of 12,617
Yea i was thinking today that i kinda wanted something in between the hd800s and the LCD-2
so i hope the Focal clear fits that spot
Clear isn't between those two headphones, it's vastly superior. IMO of course Clear>>>Hd800s>LCD-2

Jan 11, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #1,743 of 12,617
Clear isn't between those two headphones, it's vastly superior. IMO of course Clear>>>Hd800s>LCD-2

That's good to hear!

is it also superior averagely in all genres?

also does the Driver being 40mm Cause any problems? like does it make the sound feel small or anything? compared to a bigger driver like lcd2 vs hd800 etc ?

Jan 11, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #1,744 of 12,617
Yes, for me it's just a much better headphone than 800s and in another league from LCD2, period. This applies for all types of music and in all sonic parameters. There is nothing in those other phones that I wish was present in Clear. I think to discuss Clear in the context of HD800s and LCD-2 just underplays how good Clear is. The bar has been raised and those other phones are old news as far as I'm concerned.

Jan 11, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #1,745 of 12,617
Yes, for me it's just a much better headphone than 800s and in another league from LCD2, period. This applies for all types of music and in all sonic parameters. There is nothing in those other phones that I wish was present in Clear. I think to discuss Clear in the context of HD800s and LCD-2 just underplays how good Clear is. The bar has been raised and those other phones are old news as far as I'm concerned.

my experience has been quite limited with headphones so far (i went from Ultrasone pro900 > lcd2 > (hd800s atm but probably returning them)
it was quite hard to find much info on the clears on the net other than a couple of reviews (i guess its because they have only been out for a couple of months now)
i hope i get to keep my Focal clears because im not to certain this shopkeeper is gonna be happy if i keep returning the headphones

Jan 11, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #1,746 of 12,617
Thank you for Answering

i kinda already ordered the Focal Clear a couple of hours ago since i can just use the 14days return policy if i dint like it

after using the HD800s is pretty clear to me now that the LCD2 is quite weak on the seperation indeed i like the clearity on the Hd800s side but it just misses abit of that bass/warmth ( like i just had a Song where the entire Bass guitar wasn't even in the track almost)
i guess the Focal clear is my last shot at trying to find a Dynamic headphone (mainly trying to avoid buying Audeze again)
no other brands really look interesting to me on the planar side tho

Mr Speakers Aeon Flow open may be?

Jan 11, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #1,748 of 12,617
Hello guys

i got some Questions regarding the Focal Clear

i currently use a LCD-2 (F) with Lyr 2/Bifrost uber and im looking for a replacement Headphone
(The lcd-2 Sounds great but the Build Quality is failing (Glued on Earpads) )

Been doubting between the HD800s and the Focal Clear now for weeks
decided to try out the hd800s first

So Far in the first 2 days i don't like them much (i even ended up just keeping my lcd-2 on for the entire evenings instead)
Mainly the Soundstage feels big and is nice for some songs but for others it ruins the songs entirely
the HD800s also feels Cold

now on the third day its getting beter (but it might just be me being used to it )
but i would not say it beating the LCD2 by much right now

So im getting intrested in the Focal Clear again

my Questions are :

How does it compare to the Audeze LCD2?
is it a Warm Sounding Headphone?
how big is the Soundstage? (Bigger than the LCD2?)
is the Driver being 40mm a Problem? (does the Sounds Sound small?)
Would you say its a All around headphone for most genres? (i listen pretty much to Anything with a Nice melody so many genres of music(Pretty much all Genre's) something i thought the LCD2 did well)
is the headphone sharp in anyway? (is it fatiguing? when i listen to music its mainly on a Medium Level and in the background Something i think the hd800s don't do all to well (the soundstage makes it so u need to up the volume to hear everything well) )

i also stil got the HD800s right now so if u got any extra info comparing it with the HD800s would be helpful but the objective is to replace the LCD2

oh i also Plan to keep using the Lyr 2 and Bifrost as amp/dac (i heard the Focal clear doesn't do well with high impedance Amps) would this cause any problems?

i hope you enjoyed reading my wall of text ^^

Greetings Joell28

I think the Clear is right in the middle between the lcd2 and
Hello guys

i got some Questions regarding the Focal Clear

i currently use a LCD-2 (F) with Lyr 2/Bifrost uber and im looking for a replacement Headphone
(The lcd-2 Sounds great but the Build Quality is failing (Glued on Earpads) )

Been doubting between the HD800s and the Focal Clear now for weeks
decided to try out the hd800s first

So Far in the first 2 days i don't like them much (i even ended up just keeping my lcd-2 on for the entire evenings instead)
Mainly the Soundstage feels big and is nice for some songs but for others it ruins the songs entirely
the HD800s also feels Cold

now on the third day its getting beter (but it might just be me being used to it )
but i would not say it beating the LCD2 by much right now

So im getting intrested in the Focal Clear again

my Questions are :

Would you say its a All around headphone for most genres? (i listen pretty much to Anything with a Nice melody so many genres of music(Pretty much all Genre's) something i thought the LCD2 did well)
is the headphone sharp in anyway? (is it fatiguing? when i listen to music its mainly on a Medium Level and in the background Something i think the hd800s don't do all to well (the soundstage makes it so u need to up the volume to hear everything well) )

i also stil got the HD800s right now so if u got any extra info comparing it with the HD800s would be helpful but the objective is to replace the LCD2

oh i also Plan to keep using the Lyr 2 and Bifrost as amp/dac (i heard the Focal clear doesn't do well with high impedance Amps) would this cause any problems?

i hope you enjoyed reading my wall of text ^^

Greetings Joell28

I had the LCD3 (not LCD2) for some years.
The lcd3 is one of the best headphones I have ever heard, great bass, great mids, but I always wanted more clarity on the highs. I never completely stopped thinking about it when listening to music. I also had the HD800s for a while, but it was unlistenable, never liked it. Now with the Focal Clear, I just listen and enjoy. My only thought when listening is “wow”, “wow”, “wow”

I hope this helps.

Jan 11, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #1,749 of 12,617
I think the Clear is right in the middle between the lcd2 and

I had the LCD3 (not LCD2) for some years.
The lcd3 is one of the best headphones I have ever heard, great bass, great mids, but I always wanted more clarity on the highs. I never completely stopped thinking about it when listening to music. I also had the HD800s for a while, but it was unlistenable, never liked it. Now with the Focal Clear, I just listen and enjoy. My only thought when listening is “wow”, “wow”, “wow”

I hope this helps.

Thanks alot for the Reply!

now im just getting hyped haha

i got to say when i first listened to the lcd-2 i somehow wasnt that wow'd compared to my older(and bad headphone) but it took a couple of hours before they made me wow
Meanwhile ever since i got these hd800s i havent wow'd even once if anything its now after a couple of days starting to be like *oh this song doesnt sound that bad on these i gues its a little bit beter on this than on the lcd-2(Classical music) but that aint enough so i hope the Focals will deliver me this so far it looks like it might!

Jan 11, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #1,750 of 12,617
Thanks alot for the Reply!

now im just getting hyped haha

i got to say when i first listened to the lcd-2 i somehow wasnt that wow'd compared to my older(and bad headphone) but it took a couple of hours before they made me wow
Meanwhile ever since i got these hd800s i havent wow'd even once if anything its now after a couple of days starting to be like *oh this song doesnt sound that bad on these i gues its a little bit beter on this than on the lcd-2(Classical music) but that aint enough so i hope the Focals will deliver me this so far it looks like it might!

Good luck

Jan 11, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #1,751 of 12,617

First of all, the Elear asks slightly less of the volume dial than the LCD2, just a smidge. Both headphones pick up a great sense of the spacial details which add to a soundstage presentation of depth, but the Elear has both a little more of an up-front "closer" presentation and a little more air.

The Clear, due to its energy, will be more in your face then the LCD2. The LCD2 is a more laid back sound in comparrison.

Something that I feel the Clear excels In, is the ability to hear the fine detail without having to crack it up. This is an under rated quality in my opinion. It doesn’t take very loud to feel like you are eeking out 90% of the detail.

I hope this helps

Jan 11, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #1,752 of 12,617
First of all, the Elear asks slightly less of the volume dial than the LCD2, just a smidge. Both headphones pick up a great sense of the spacial details which add to a soundstage presentation of depth, but the Elear has both a little more of an up-front "closer" presentation and a little more air.

The Clear, due to its energy, will be more in your face then the LCD2. The LCD2 is a more laid back sound in comparrison.

Something that I feel the Clear excels In, is the ability to hear the fine detail without having to crack it up. This is an under rated quality in my opinion. It doesn’t take very loud to feel like you are eeking out 90% of the detail.

I hope this helps
agreed... in fact, this is actually a trait that all focal totl have

Jan 11, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #1,753 of 12,617

I hope this helps

agreed... in fact, this is actually a trait that all focal totl have

Thanks for the info!

not needing to up the volume will be quite nice for when listening to music in the background

Jan 11, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #1,754 of 12,617
I'm really, REALLY tempted to pick up the Clear, but I'm pretty happy with my AEON Flow Open and break out in hives just thinking about spending $1500 on a headphone. When I rationalize it though, I try to convince myself that I don't really need an amp like the HA-1 with the Focal so I could sell that and maybe pick up a Schiit for driving duties, then sell the AEON and only be out a couple of hundred bucks for the whole shebang.

Decisions, decisions...

Jan 11, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #1,755 of 12,617
I'm really, REALLY tempted to pick up the Clear, but I'm pretty happy with my AEON Flow Open and break out in hives just thinking about spending $1500 on a headphone. When I rationalize it though, I try to convince myself that I don't really need an amp like the HA-1 with the Focal so I could sell that and maybe pick up a Schiit for driving duties, then sell the AEON and only be out a couple of hundred bucks for the whole shebang.

Decisions, decisions...

Sometimes I read some of the funniest comments here. No offense meant but the hives thing almost made me lose my lunch it hit me so funny! :)

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back