Focal Clear headphones
Dec 18, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #1,067 of 12,550
I was listening to Organ concerto's by Haydn on my Clears today. Don't care what pads they have, they sure sounded nice.

I know, they do sound very nice with Organ work, they were rattling my head around on Also sprach Zarathustra the other night. The impactful bass on the Clear is amazing.

Dec 19, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #1,068 of 12,550
I can't see that this will steal sales from the Clear. No one - or not many - know what it really sounds like and the Clear is wonderful in it's own right. I bought Clears after this appeared ... to compliment my Utopia's and it doesn't worry me one bit - it is a variation on a theme that may suit some but that is about it. Speculation is fun but in reality how different it is going to be ? Time will tell.

when are you reaching for the Clears and when are you reaching for the Utopias?

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #1,069 of 12,550
Just picked up the Clears yesterday from my local friendly Focal dealer. I don't think the Elex is a big bargain either. I could use the case and the 3.5mm cable. The case is US$150, I would value the cable at US$150, which bring the comparable price to $1,100 + shipping and import fees into Canada for the various pieces, so lets say $1,200 all in vs. $1,500. I can see if someone already had cables and didn't need the case, that the Elex is a great bargain. The full-kit for the Clears is pretty compelling to me, and more extended sub-bass is always a good thing, easier to drive is a bonus. Lets hope this is end-game for me for at least a few years.........

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #1,070 of 12,550
when are you reaching for the Clears and when are you reaching for the Utopias?

It is early days but when I want a front row performance it is easily the Utopia's .... good seat further back is the Clear.

The Utopia's are awesome ... so detailed and good with just, well, everything - they are like sitting right with or by the person performing ... the Clears are for a slightly gentler listen - still in really good seats, but maybe 20 rows back - maybe better to enjoy but never as good as those full on front seats ... if that analogy makes sense. It depends if I fancy full on or not :)

The Utopia'a are noticeable better but the Clears are a more relaxed listen whilst still retaining a similar style to their dearer brother.

The dealer thought I would prefer the Clear as I have Oppo PM-2's and love them ... The Oppo's are not the 'best' but easy to listen to and very good. That is why he felt the Clear would be to my taste. He was not wrong which is why I ended up with them too .... but I loved the Utopia's so much they are my favourite ...

The Clears are the best headphone I have tried other than the Utopia. The others I had are far from bad but these two are in a different league in my opinion.

All others are going ! Oppo PM-2, Grado GS1000e, Audeze EL-8 and Grado PS500e will all be up for sale as I simply won't listen to them with the 2 sets of Focal's ! The only other headphones I am keeping will be the Technics EAH-T700E - a headphone hated by What HiFi but I love them as a closed headphone !

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #1,071 of 12,550
Just picked up the Clears yesterday from my local friendly Focal dealer. I don't think the Elex is a big bargain either. I could use the case and the 3.5mm cable. The case is US$150, I would value the cable at US$150, which bring the comparable price to $1,100 + shipping and import fees into Canada for the various pieces, so lets say $1,200 all in vs. $1,500. I can see if someone already had cables and didn't need the case, that the Elex is a great bargain. The full-kit for the Clears is pretty compelling to me, and more extended sub-bass is always a good thing, easier to drive is a bonus. Lets hope this is end-game for me for at least a few years.........

Hi guys. I know a great many of you have asked questions about the Elex. The rules here on headfi is if I don’t sell it I can’t comment here. Well I don’t sell it nor does any dealer. It’s a MD product only.

I have been asked by FocalNA to comment to assist people in their understanding. So to keep both parties happy and provide answers to those questions I can answer it would be best to contact me directly and I’ll be happy to answer the questions that I can answer.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Dec 19, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #1,076 of 12,550
Has anyone used the Clear with Silver Dragon cables from Moon Audio? I would be interested in how they compare with the stock cables.

My current cable of choice for the Clear is the MSA-1 cable from BlueJeans. It has slightly better definition and smoother overall response than the stock cables.

I have the Black Dragon which has a somewhat bloated bass and an uneven warm signature on the the Clear. I am looking for somewhat more detail without being bright or hot. I consider the stock cables on the bright side but with very good bass definition.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #1,077 of 12,550
I still haven't heard any comparisons to Ether Flow.

Dec 20, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #1,079 of 12,550
I still haven't heard any comparisons to Ether Flow.

Just so happens, I have a Ether Flow and Flow C in the House for a comparison.

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #1,080 of 12,550
Aornic, you gotta mod these in order to bring out their true strength. Add a extra magnet on the back. Make sure to replace the hm5 hybrids, they really open up the head phone, improve resolution, and fixes the FR. Lastly you need 400 burn in hours minimum. I recommend 1500 hours. Usually 1 hours per the cost of the headphones. Hope it helps! Might want to do the sriracha mod on it too. But that's far more advanced for a simple guy like you.

Just thought I'd share some YouTube comment wisdom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back