Focal Clear headphones
Dec 21, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #1,081 of 12,550
I've owned the Elears for a few weeks and while I enjoy the sound, the midrange is just lacking on many tracks. Looking at the FR graphs, it does look like the Clear bumps this up some. Has anyone upgraded and found the Clear corrects the mids?

Dec 21, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #1,083 of 12,550
I've owned the Elears for a few weeks and while I enjoy the sound, the midrange is just lacking on many tracks. Looking at the FR graphs, it does look like the Clear bumps this up some. Has anyone upgraded and found the Clear corrects the mids?

The mid range in Clear is fantastic IMHO, if you feed it correctly.
Graphs are interesting but I won't live enough to see a machine tasting the food I prepare, at least not to drop the tears as it tastes... :beyersmile:

Voices, pianos (which have a wide FR), "presence" on upper midrange from percussion, etc is top notch 3D, without causing listening fatigue.

Dec 21, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #1,084 of 12,550
I still haven't heard any comparisons to Ether Flow.

Very early impressions between the Ether Flow and Clear, with only time to listen to one album critically, Dire Straights, “Brothers in Arms.”

Someone wrote that the Utopia was sitting in row 1, or with the musicians, while the Clear is sitting in row 20. It’s a great metaphor and is spot on. Though I might move the Clear to row 10. The Ether Flow is a softer more “organic” presentation, think row 30.

Both are incredible headphones and I believe complimentary. The dynamics and powerful presentation of the Clear and softer (but every bit as detailed, just not in your face) of the Flow. A very personal example, the opening of Dire Straights, “Brothers in Arms” literally triggered my PTSD on the Clear, I almost jumped out of my skin, with the Flow it was all there, just not as visceral.

Dec 21, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #1,085 of 12,550
Thanks for the responses! The Clear seems like it's what Im looking for. I thought about the new Elex but Im not sure I want to wait 5 months.

Currently fed from a Hifiberry -> Modi 2U -> Magni 2U but that is changing soon.

Dec 21, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #1,086 of 12,550
Thanks for the responses! The Clear seems like it's what Im looking for. I thought about the new Elex but Im not sure I want to wait 5 months.

Currently fed from a Hifiberry -> Modi 2U -> Magni 2U but that is changing soon.

You’re welcome, I posted earlier in the Thread that the Clear replaced my fully tricked out HD800, I just enjoy them more. I listen quite a bit with Chord’s Mojo, I believe it has an excellent synergy with the Clear.

Dec 21, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #1,087 of 12,550
Very early impressions between the Ether Flow and Clear, with only time to listen to one album critically, Dire Straights, “Brothers in Arms.”

Someone wrote that the Utopia was sitting in row 1, or with the musicians, while the Clear is sitting in row 20. It’s a great metaphor and is spot on. Though I might move the Clear to row 10. The Ether Flow is a softer more “organic” presentation, think row 30.

Both are incredible headphones and I believe complimentary. The dynamics and powerful presentation of the Clear and softer (but every bit as detailed, just not in your face) of the Flow. A very personal example, the opening of Dire Straights, “Brothers in Arms” literally triggered my PTSD on the Clear, I almost jumped out of my skin, with the Flow it was all there, just not as visceral.
i'

I'm sending my Clears back soon, and upgrading to the Utopia. I kind of want that in your face sound the Utopia will provide, due to the fact I need stuff loud. The Clear is awesome, it really is. But with my Rap music, I can't play as loud as I want because of that little crackle noise I get once in a while.

That's just with rap music and a very small amount of Trance/Techno. Rock and other genres rock on the Clear, I'm just hard to please for a long time without finding something that is bothering me and moving onto something new. I have to be Bi-polar awesome or something.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #1,088 of 12,550
Yes!! The recessed mids on the elear were a deal breaker for me. The Clear, on the other hand, seem just right, so a major improvement in that area for sure.

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #1,089 of 12,550

Wow, I can't imagine a 10 level step up from the Ether Flow.

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #1,091 of 12,550
Dec 21, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #1,092 of 12,550

That was me with the Utopia at row 1 and the Clear's at row 20 ... ok, now having had them on for getting towards 100 hrs they sound better ... so maybe I'll agree with row 10 now Lol !

Dec 21, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #1,093 of 12,550
Wow, I can't imagine a 10 level step up from the Ether Flow.

I’m not saying 10 steps better, I’m discussing the perspective at a concert. They are all great headphones, some people like to sit in the first row (Utopia), some the 10th (Clear), then some prefer sitting further back with a wider, somewhat softer, less precise imaging. So, again I’m not saying “better” just different flavors.

Dec 21, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #1,094 of 12,550
That was me with the Utopia at row 1 and the Clear's at row 20 ... ok, now having had them on for getting towards 100 hrs they sound better ... so maybe I'll agree with row 10 now Lol !

I only quote the best! :wink:

Dec 21, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #1,095 of 12,550
So we're talking wider sound stage as well?
I feel like the soundstage width is comparable.

The Clear has such fast transient response. I am listening to "Brothers in Arms" and with the Clear the the war sounds in beginning are immediate. With an explosion, you get the speed of the explosion. The Ether by comparison sounds a lot more rounded off, or almost flatter. Same goes for the bass of Clear versus Ether. Sorry @Wildcatsare1, I can see why that would be startling... I heard it with the Ether first, and the intro wasn't very noticeable, Then I try the Clear and the bass rumbles and has more definition with the highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back