Focal Clear headphones
Nov 29, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #811 of 12,543
More comparisons to the HD800; first clarity the Clear has similar/equal clarity without the painful glare. Next, dynamics and impact, not even close, the Clear wins. Tone and “long term listenability,” again the Clear is superior (to my ears, IMO), better body, more fleshed out tone, able to Jam Porcupine Tree for hours without the desire to reach for my LCD3.

Nov 29, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #812 of 12,543
Some people seem to compare the clear to the hd800.
I am looking for a new headphone.
I like the sound of the utops and elears,but have not heard the clears.
I also believe that the focals sound is quite different than the hd800.
Do the clears sound like the hd 800?
If so I would prefer the elear or utopias

I've been rambling about HD800 comparison for the past week (now at 150+ hours on both cans). I'm only comparing these two only because I narrowed in as an upgrade to my HD600/Stax in <$1500 range.

Clear sounds vastly different from HD800. HD800 sounds flat, distant (could be taken as veiled), and tinny tone. Great soundstage for classical. Clear is so much more alive with exceptional voice/instrument tone and body (I cannot stress this point enough as a closet musician), and huge/fast dynamics (but I come from more clinical preference of Senns/Stax/Shure, never heard planars). Soundstage seems side-grade from my HD600/Stax. In fact, I think a lot of description used by others to describe Utopia seems to apply here. I'm curious how Utopia sounds relative to Clear, although I can't justify one now...maybe in 10 years :)

Nov 29, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #813 of 12,543
Has anyone reproduced the famous crackling sound that plagues many of the Elears on bass heavy tracks with the Clears? Just wondering if the drivers are better designed on the Clears.

I tried this music:

With my Jot's volume at 12 o'clock (high gain) I get the crackling/pop, like popping the diaphragm with your fingers. My listening level for this is 7-8 o'clock low gain. At 10-11 o'clock, I can substitute as my desktop speaker :)

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #814 of 12,543
I've been rambling about HD800 comparison for the past week (now at 150+ hours on both cans). I'm only comparing these two only because I narrowed in as an upgrade to my HD600/Stax in <$1500 range.

Clear sounds vastly different from HD800. HD800 sounds flat, distant (could be taken as veiled), and tinny tone. Great soundstage for classical. Clear is so much more alive with exceptional voice/instrument tone and body (I cannot stress this point enough as a closet musician), and huge/fast dynamics (but I come from more clinical preference of Senns/Stax/Shure, never heard planars). Soundstage seems side-grade from my HD600/Stax. In fact, I think a lot of description used by others to describe Utopia seems to apply here. I'm curious how Utopia sounds relative to Clear, although I can't justify one now...maybe in 10 years :)
In regards to the Utopia versus Clear it's "Clear" what you are spending the money on. Transient speed and transparency jump forward and to me for those reasons alone sounds so life like to me.

I am listening to Tool's Album "Lateralus" and listened with a bunch of headphones (T1v2,Mr Speakers EFC,HD800,Clear). I don't know how well they recorded this album but to me it sounds compressed :frowning2:. I listen with the Utopia now and its way more engaging and enjoyable then the others. I think due to the speed and instrument separation it really helps this CD. For anyone that enjoys the Clear and Elear please do your self a favor (not your wallets) and listen to the Utopia. Its crazy good.

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #815 of 12,543
In regards to the Utopia versus Clear it's "Clear" what you are spending the money on. Transient speed and transparency jump forward and to me for those reasons alone sounds so life like to me.

I am listening to Tool's Album "Lateralus" and listened with a bunch of headphones (T1v2,Mr Speakers EFC,HD800,Clear). I don't know how well they recorded this album but to me it sounds compressed :frowning2:. I listen with the Utopia now and its way more engaging and enjoyable then the others. I think due to the speed and instrument separation it really helps this CD. For anyone that enjoys the Clear and Elear please do your self a favor (not your wallets) and listen to the Utopia. Its crazy good.

Favorite album ever produced. I've never heard it sound as good as it is on the Utopia (there's a lot going on in this album, strange time signatures, tons of strange bass work, etc).

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #816 of 12,543

I ended up liking this album on the Clear more...

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #817 of 12,543
Favorite album ever produced. I've never heard it sound as good as it is on the Utopia (there's a lot going on in this album, strange time signatures, tons of strange bass work, etc).
I went from balanced to single ended on the Moon 430HA to see if that was the reason why I was enjoying the Utopia that much more then the other cans (they were all plugged in single ended when I was listening) and nope- didn't make any difference to me. The Utopia is just that transparent and better.

This album is really great though (track wise!) I'm having a hard time not turning it up to ear bleeding levels. I am on track 11 Reflection right now and its fantastic. There is a TON going on like you mentioned! I was lucky enough to see Tool when they came to Pittsburgh. really great show. They performed one of their new tracks off their upcoming album (God knows when that will come out) and it made me super amped.

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #818 of 12,543
I went from balanced to single ended on the Moon 430HA to see if that was the reason why I was enjoying the Utopia that much more then the other cans (they were all plugged in single ended when I was listening) and nope- didn't make any difference to me. The Utopia is just that transparent and better.

This album is really great though (track wise!) I'm having a hard time not turning it up to ear bleeding levels. I am on track 11 Reflection right now and its fantastic. There is a TON going on like you mentioned! I was lucky enough to see Tool when they came to Pittsburgh. really great show. They performed one of their new tracks off their upcoming album (God knows when that will come out) and it made me super amped.

The last three songs (Triad/Intention/(something else)) are incredible on a capable set of cans. So much detail in the background that I'd never heard. I remember listening to Triad for the first time on the Utopia and hearing a bass-line in the song I'd never heard, and I've listened to this album thousands of times (not exaggerating).

Think I'm up to 7-8 times seeing them. Done until they come out with new stuff though, lately they're nothing more than greatest hits tours.

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #819 of 12,543
Has anyone reproduced the famous crackling sound that plagues many of the Elears on bass heavy tracks with the Clears? Just wondering if the drivers are better designed on the Clears.
I did when I first got them. But, now it will only rarely happen when I try to max out my Mojo, and at that point it's so loud I turn down the volume. These don't have the same issue as the Elear. I was the first non industry owner of the Clear in the USA. So I've owned mine for a while now, you have to burn them in and the bass gets nice and tight. No rattle.

So, only on heavy bass at very high volume I get the crackle, I just feel like the driver is over driven at that level.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #820 of 12,543
I did when I first got them. But, now it will only rarely happen when I try to max out my Mojo, and at that point it's so loud I turn down the volume. These don't have the same issue as the Elear. I was the first owner of the Clear in USA.So I've owned mine for a while now, you have to burn them in and the bass gets nice and tight. No rattle.
I remember my first Clear.
upload_2017-11-29_12-55-37.png

Nov 29, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #822 of 12,543
Lol. I was number 1. And no, the dealers don't count.

Crossing the Atlantic to US takes a lot of dynamics out of Clear, due to the Mid-Atlantic ridge electromagnetic field.
Audible Cracks are one of the symptoms

Permanent damage AFAIK

7AB56A80-586C-465F-935C-BEFBDD850143.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #823 of 12,543
Crossing the Atlantic to US takes a lot of dynamics out of Clear, due to the Mid-Atlantic ridge electromagnetic field.
Audible Cracks are one of the symptoms

Permanent damage AFAIK

You put a lot of work into that map lol haha.

Nov 29, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #824 of 12,543
Did anyone try the clear with the headphone out of the oppo 105?
It kinda blew me away when I heard my pm 3 with the 105 for the first time.
but then the pm 3 is easier to drive than the clear.

Cris
Can't help with the Clear but I have used the Utopia with the Oppo 105 headphone output. The 105 can definitely drive the 80 ohm Utopia, at half volume the cup sound level is around 75 dB and that's with older CD's made back before the loudness wars. Bass and dynamics are good with the Utopia so I see no reason why the 55 ohm Clear would not sound great with the 105 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back