Focal Clear headphones
Dec 13, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #991 of 12,550
Thank you! I checked the article on Inner Fidelity after your first post and there are alread people responding about how they will sound just from looking at the plots.

The graphs do not tell anyone how the headphone sounds. It does provide a reference to characteristics but not the sound itself. Making a choice based on a graph would not be something I’d suggest as it relates to making a purchase.

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Dec 13, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #992 of 12,550
Just wanted to make a comment about the high quality of the Clear cable. I’ve been doing some careful comparisons to my Nordost Blue Heaven this afternoon and the stock cable is definitely better sounding. The Blue Heaven has made a nice improvement over the stock cable on every other phone I’ve tried it with. It really seems like the Clear cable was specifically designed to bring out the best.

Dec 13, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #993 of 12,550
Here are a few cliches from my first few days with the Clear:

* stayed up way past my bedtime last night, scrolling through Tidal, revisiting old favorites

* Heard things I haven't heard before

* Couldn't wipe the smile off my face while listening to Iron & Wine's latest album. i've spent a lot of time with this album since it came out a few months ago, but it sounded simply fantastic out of my Lyr 2, even before any rigorous burn-in

Very happy with these so far. A marked step-up from my current headphones -- Grado PS500s ( home ) and Sennheiser HD700s ( work) -- and nearly as comfortable as the 700s. No issues at all with the weight for me.

EDIT: here's the Iron & Wine track that was doing it for me the other day.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #995 of 12,550
Thought I’d chime in again, arming Neil Young’s “Down by the River,” damn, the instrument seperation , imaging and the bass, damn good song, truly epic! I continue to love the Mojo>Clear combination, another Classic Rock tune that’s absolutely stunning is Yes’s “Roundabout,” it was played to death back in the day, but still sounds as fresh as it did on the 8 Track Player in my Camaro (yes, I’m old, very old).

Dec 14, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #996 of 12,550
Is Audio-GD R2R 11 good match for this headphone. It's not a balanced amp so wondering if I should go with it or schiit jotunheim?
i bought the r2r 15 and i´m thinking about clear. the elear was really easy to drive(i had with ibasso dx200), so i think that clear is easiest compared to elear due to lower impedance 80 vs. 50 ohm

Dec 14, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #997 of 12,550
Is Audio-GD R2R 11 good match for this headphone. It's not a balanced amp so wondering if I should go with it or schiit jotunheim?

Well thats a good question,

First up i think you should take the jot.
Why? Well..
I have the nfb11 myself and i think it pairs great, though i must add this is after the amp has been warming up half a day( that really makes a difference). I heard the r2r was a slightly more tubey or "fun" version of the nfb 11 and I think in raw performance the r2r would beat the jot, but the clears don't need that much power and they come with a balanced cable included that i heard makes great difference, even focal said so...

I would go for the jot for that extra balanced input eventhough the r2r might be more powerfull.

Dec 14, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #998 of 12,550
the jot has a bad dac
you say that clear don´t need too much power and after you say got to jot in balanced mode. Why?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #999 of 12,550
the jot has a bad dac
you say that clear don´t need too much power and after you say got to jot in balanced mode. Why?

Not trying to hijack the answer but I lowered my CMA400i gain for Clear for better volume control and eventually lower floor noise, balanced delivers better dynamics and separation over SE.
Its not only the power (I know about some theories that say that if you volume match, specs diff between SE and BAL are inaudible, etc. etc.) - It does make a difference, I hear it, Focal says that, who am I to deny that???
My 2 cents

Dec 14, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #1,000 of 12,550
ok. i had in the past all balanced.source, amplifiers, headphones.the called balanced(in the amplifier) is just a bridged amplifier with all consequencies. probably the questyle sounds better in balanced mode, compared to s.e.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #1,001 of 12,550
Listening to Focal Clear via Violectric V281 balance XLR... pleased with what I am hearing so far.

Short experience with Clear vs HD800S - I would align with the views that overall they share more similarities i.e. both are great at detail retrieval, clarity, and some have said a little lite in the bass department (though I don't necessarily find it so with a good amp pairing). Clear do edge out HD800S in terms of bass 'weight'. Icing on the cake... well, the bundle of accessories (cables and the sexy cover) - brownie points and nicely done Focal!

Dec 14, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #1,003 of 12,550
Does anyone have the Clear and the Utopia ? I have the Utopia and Oppo PM-2 ... and I find the Utopia too 'clear' at times ... wondered if anyone has both ?
I have the Utopia and the Oppo PM-1 and PM-3. I thought that the PM-1 (actually a very good headphone) were GREAT, but then came the Utopia. They are in different league. Is VERY difficult coming back to the Oppo when you listen the Utopia. Is like you hear everything in his right place with all the clarity. Is very difficult to compare

Dec 14, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #1,004 of 12,550
I have both. I use the Clear with my Mytek Brooklyn and the Utopia with my Moon 430HAD.

They are definitely different animals, although they share many similarities. When I want to focus on detail and balance, I reach for the Utopia. When I want energy and fingers tapping, I'm using the Clear. I think the Utopias are more comfortable as well--definitely like the earcups on the Utopia's more.

Dec 14, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #1,005 of 12,550
I have both. I use the Clear with my Mytek Brooklyn and the Utopia with my Moon 430HAD.

They are definitely different animals, although they share many similarities. When I want to focus on detail and balance, I reach for the Utopia. When I want energy and fingers tapping, I'm using the Clear. I think the Utopias are more comfortable as well--definitely like the earcups on the Utopia's more.

Thanks. I can relate to that having tried both ! I also find the Utopia ear cups better - I have larger lugs and the Clear was smaller :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back