Focal Clear headphones
Sep 21, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #9,916 of 12,550
Hello everybody, new (old) audiophile here.

After reading many reviews/threads and listening at local audio stores, I took the plunge and bought online one of the few still available Clear Pro, my very first “high end” headphone. Unluckily my happiness when I started listening quickly turned into disappointment when I realised the right driver is making a sort of grating sound, like a vibration, when playing some bass notes, even at low listening levels.

I’m wondering how common are these driver issues with Focal.

Sep 21, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #9,917 of 12,550
Hello everybody, new (old) audiophile here.

After reading many reviews/threads and listening at local audio stores, I took the plunge and bought online one of the few still available Clear Pro, my very first “high end” headphone. Unluckily my happiness when I started listening quickly turned into disappointment when I realised the right driver is making a sort of grating sound, like a vibration, when playing some bass notes, even at low listening levels.

I’m wondering how common are these driver issues with Focal.

Try a search on this thread and you'll answer your own question.

Make a warranty claim and have it replaced.

Sep 21, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #9,919 of 12,550
Thanks.

Now the metriculous research starts to find the best non snake oil/magic fairy dust amp for it. :D
I have two h/p amplifier suggestions for you - one vacuum tube, one solid-state. The first is Schiit Valhalla II, the second is Flux Lab Acoustics FA-22. Both are tremendous with the Clear O/G - I own both. At last look 👀, Valhalla II was $349, FA-22 was $749…..just to get you started…🎼🎶🎵

Sep 21, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #9,920 of 12,550
I have two h/p amplifier suggestions for you - one vacuum tube, one solid-state. The first is Schiit Valhalla II, the second is Flux Lab Acoustics FA-22. Both are tremendous with the Clear O/G - I own both. At last look 👀, Valhalla II was $349, FA-22 was $749…..just to get you started…🎼🎶🎵
How does the flux compare to the MJ2 modded?

Sep 21, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #9,921 of 12,550
My Gumby is away for Unison upgrade. Let me send you the MG pro to compare to OG? I'm really curious to hear your thoughts.

Edit: should have sent pm 😂

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #9,922 of 12,550
My Gumby is away for Unison upgrade. Let me send you the MG pro to compare to OG? I'm really curious to hear your thoughts.

Edit: should have sent pm 😂
I replied P/M.

Sep 22, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #9,923 of 12,550
How does the flux compare to the MJ2 modded?
~ The FA-22 and the MJ2+ (Ksorolnir) are very similar (when the Footscrays are in). To me, the FA-22 is a bit more convincing than MJ2+ in ambience / hall-studio sound retrieval. Other areas where the FA-22 has the slight advantage are: texture of bass (especially acoustic bass), overtones of female vocals, overtones / decay of ride cymbals. Note: these are important to me. Others may have other preferences / sensitivities.
~ Overall, the FA-22 makes me forget that SS is in the chain in the same way that the LTA MZ3 makes me forget that tubes are in the chain. To me, the MJ2+, FA-22, and MZ3 are closely spaced ‘points’ in an excellent sonic ‘spectrum’. All are terrific partners to Focal Clear.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #9,924 of 12,550
Received my Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin replacement pads for Clear MG and now 24 hours in, I definitely prefer them. The 1st area of improvement is soundstage width, just a touch wider but without detracting from the great imaging of this HP, and depth / height remain excellent and realistic. The other benefit is bass quality. Quantity is about the same and doesn't slam any harder (which is fine with me) but the bass has a more tuneful character, never bloomy or bloated nor bleeding into low mids as I experienced on some tracks with stock pads.

Is this all placebo / expectation bias? Perhaps, but for 1/2 the cost of stock pads, excellent fit and ergonomics, I'll take the win and go happily forward with my Geekria / Dekoni tricked out MG. Happy listening indeed. :smile:

Sep 22, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #9,925 of 12,550
Might be the Focal logo on the outside of the ear cup. If it is that, push against it a little and it might stop.
Hi There - Just discovered this exact problem with my Clear Pros. The logo on the outside of the right earcup is loose (and I think I'm out of warranty). What a silly flaw. Were you ever able to secure it permanently?

Sep 22, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #9,926 of 12,550
Received my Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin replacement pads for Clear MG and now 24 hours in, I definitely prefer them. The 1st area of improvement is soundstage width, just a touch wider but without detracting from the great imaging of this HP, and depth / height remain excellent and realistic. The other benefit is bass quality. Quantity is about the same and doesn't slam any harder (which is fine with me) but the bass has a more tuneful character, never bloomy or bloated nor bleeding into low mids as I experienced on some tracks with stock pads.

Is this all placebo / expectation bias? Perhaps, but for 1/2 the cost of stock pads, excellent fit and ergonomics, I'll take the win and go happily forward with my Geekria / Dekoni tricked out MG. Happy listening indeed. :smile:
Does Geekria make a headband that fits the Clear? I ordered the Geek on amazon and they gave me the smallest headband cover they had. Didn't fit by any "stretch" of the word. Does Geekria's website sell larger versions?

I love the dekoni stellia pads and leather pilot pad i have on mine but the pilot is a bit too clunky and it only leaves me with a single click of adjustment left, also forcing the cups to bite upward. And it sits kinda tall on my head like I'm wearing an Arya.

Only issue is that if Geek does have a headband for the Clear I gotta rip off the pilot I super glued together and lose 30 bucks. :) Oh well, this hobby is all about losing money.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #9,927 of 12,550
Does Geekria make a headband that fits the Clear? I ordered the Geek on amazon and they gave me the smallest headband cover they had. Didn't fit by any "stretch" of the word. Does Geekria's website sell larger versions?

I love the dekoni stellia pads and leather pilot pad i have on mine but the pilot is a bit too clunky and it only leaves me with a single click of adjustment left, also forcing the cups to bite upward. And it sits kinda tall on my head like I'm wearing an Arya.

Only issue is that if Geek does have a headband for the Clear I gotta rip off the pilot I super glued together and lose 30 bucks. :) Oh well, this hobby is all about losing money.
This one fit nice and snug:

Geekria Headband Cover Compatible with ATH M50x, M50xBT, M50xPB, M50xWH, M50xBB Headphones/Headphone Headband Protector Repair Parts/Easy DIY Installation No Tool Needed (Black)

Sep 23, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #9,928 of 12,550
Sep 23, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #9,929 of 12,550

I am happy that the Dekonis are working for you. Your experience so far matches mine with the Clear O/G.

Sep 25, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #9,930 of 12,550
Anyone have a cable recommendation to a 4.4mm termination, was looking at the Norne Drausk Lite, the only other one I can really find is the Moon Black/Silver Dragon.

Listen to mostly EDM, hip hop, Metal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back