Focal Clear headphones
Mar 8, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #9,136 of 12,651
I don't think changing your amp will help very much with your problem, unless you had been under-powering your headphones, or had an inadvertent impedance mismatch (more likely to happen with a tube amp).

I had gone from Clears to Aryas to LCD-3s, and I would say Audeze's LCD-X or LCD-3 would be more to your liking for electronica in particular for sheer impact, but not outright resolution. I had played Bjork's "Army of Me" and The Crystal Method's "Bad Stone" (they're getting old, I know, like me), and the bass had felt like mortars landing with the LCD-3s. It was quite something. Don't think their bass is better than the cheaper LCD-Xs; that's not what you're paying for at their price point. Aryas, were the weakling for dynamics (HE-1000 doesn't excel at this, either). Planar headphones have low distortion and zero phase shift down to 20 Hz. Clears have a resonant peak at 60 Hz or so (only the Tyll Hertsens graph shows it), that will muddy up your bass.

You may explore using one set of headphones for electronica and classic rock, and another one for vocal or acoustic heavy music.

thanks a lot with your updates guys. I’ve decided to try zmf verite. The one thing that I’m worried is that my brain demands the qualities of planar, which I used one for many years even though it is lower tier closed back pm-3. I do like dark sounding headphones, but don’t want my desktop equipment to be boom box as I switch to different genres as well, jazz/afro/brazilian stuff. It was 2 sided relationship with clears, amazed by it’s techs, but lacking a bit of musicality for my taste and tad too aggressive with their presentation. They could get shouty and a bit annoying with certain music. I have to admit that the quality is not top notch in my library as my main source is stream and lots of music record in 70-80 era.

Mar 8, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #9,137 of 12,651
Clear Pros are the same design as the ones I had sold, though I would like the basic packaging of the professional model. I'm going to be looking at the new Mg ones instead. IEMs I have, offer Clear levels of resolution for just under $600. Not going to look at other headphones just yet.
What IEMs are you talking about?

Mar 9, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #9,138 of 12,651
What IEMs are you talking about?
Shanling ME700s. That's their flagship. They are the warmest out of any product I've had, including the LCD-3s, but still having the resolution of a headphone that costs over $1000. I can hear textures in stringed instruments that I could hear with the Clears, but few others that sell for under $1500. So, they're a hit with classic rock, as the cold, brassy sound is gone. I found out the bass sounds warm because they had gold plated the 10 mm drivers. They don't even come close to providing the large Arya soundstage, however (nor do my speakers). Clears are probably a bit better at imaging, as well.

Mar 9, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #9,139 of 12,651
From everything I’ve read and my own experience with the LCD-2, the LCD-XCs (and LCD-X) have a fairly different sound signature from the LCD-2/3 (and perhaps 4?). More dynamic and detailed- not quite “detail monsters”, if you will, but more neutral than the “traditional Audeze house sound”.

I appreciate the EQ suggestion, but my signal path is not from a PC (though I do own JRiver), so that type of tweaking is not an option.

To your point, a tube or hybrid amp would very likely be a good solution with the LCD-XCs as opposed to the slightly warm/vivid voicing of my solid-state Violectric V200 amp.

That said, I’ve made that move once already and am not sure I’m really into tube rolling and all that entails- 😊 at least, not quite yet. Then again, another Black Friday sale with the Liquid Platinum at half off might change my mind...
I had just sold my LCD-3s, because I was irritated at my speakers out-resolving them (though I had gotten quite a deal on my Martin Logans). The latter product has quite the midrange driver. Box speakers at twice the price or more, however, cannot match the clean bass of planar headphones: more or less flat frequency response, no nulls, no phase shift, no rising distortion, no resonant peaks. I can hear individual notes at say, 80 Hz and below, with any of the headphones I've had, that are warmed over on my sub, even though it has a servo. Anyway, it was evident that Audeze was going for a warm, lush, rounded, pleasing sound, and not outright detail, with their LCD-3s. Their timbre was better than the HiFiMan Aryas I had before, which I hadn't liked with female vocals, in particular.

My Shanling IEMs are so warm that it's like I'm using a tube amp with them (I never had IEMs until about a month ago). I might look at Audeze's IEMs, only I live in a noisy area, and the Shanlings block ambient noise better than anything I've had, especially when you use foam tips. When I had used a tube amp years ago, it had made everything sound warmer, but with slightly less resolution. I hadn't kept it.

Mar 9, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #9,140 of 12,651
I know every shop is different, but has anyone here purchased a Focal Clear B-Stock and received a like-new product with everything included? I keep thinking about the Clear but don't want to pay full price so I might go B-Stock. Found a site called Audio Exchange based in VA and they have an eBay store, and they have B-stock models for a tempting price (incl 3-yr warranty)...

Headphones.com has them too, I've ordered from them before and they are great but I purchased something new.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #9,141 of 12,651
I know every shop is different, but has anyone here purchased a Focal Clear B-Stock and received a like-new product with everything included? I keep thinking about the Clear but don't want to pay full price so I might go B-Stock. Found a site called Audio Exchange based in VA and they have an eBay store, and they have B-stock models for a tempting price (incl 3-yr warranty)...

Headphones.com has them too, I've ordered from them before and they are great but I purchased something new.
Yes, I had used the Source AV in Torrance, CA. Expect to pay $1100 to $1200. You may have found other stores.

Mar 9, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #9,142 of 12,651

I bought b stock Clear Pro and it was brand new $900

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #9,143 of 12,651

Check Out Audio 46. Great company, stands behind what they sell, ships quickly. Their B stocks have full Mfg warranty with a couple exceptions which are prominently displayed on the B stock homepage

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #9,144 of 12,651
Hello to All !

Being a newcomer here I have a question related to the Focal Clear headphones.
I've just bought one and I'm wondering what would be the best headphones amp to pair it with.
I hesitate between 2 products considering my research, my taste and my requirements : stationnary small, combo headphone amp + usb dac input, dsd ready

Use / Purpose
This headphones amp will be connected to a PC through an USB cable (the spdif output is already taken by my Naim Muso Speaker which I use for my PC sound) 95%
Night audio session listening while I'm working
Listening audio files from my PC, videos/film and some games

Remaining 5% use : Maybe I will try to connect the dac with my TV for some sofa listening or use this in a far future with some hi-fi stuff

For my ears the best hi-hi combo would be after numerous tests : Naim Uniti Star and PMC twenty23 speakers.... however I do not have the budget right now for this

So here comes the current dilemma

>> Naim DAC V-1
+ numerously acclaimed DAC for its sounds qualities in various reviews
+ very good USB input with specific isolated circuit and treatment (Audiophilleo)
+ Sharc processor
+ Naim Sound : articulate detailled engaged
+ good frameware updates and follow up by the brand
+ class A
- a bit old by now or outpassed by some newer competition ??? don't know
- probably cannot be upgraded anymore : less future ready
- can only be found used / 2nd hand. Buying a V-1 as a new is impossible.
- dsd128 only
- 6.35, no xlr or new pentacon 4.4 connector
- no standby mode it seems the stuff is always on

>> Sony TA-ZH 1ES
+ dsd 256
+ various connections : if it exists you can connect everything to it, even a smartphone/walkman
+ not the best of the best but among the good existing dac/headphone amps even if not as unanimously acclaimed as the naim, good reviews though lots of very good feedback on head-fi forums. And it's seems it pairs very well with the Clear.
+ can be turned off
?? quality of the USB input / isolation ?
- hybrid and not class A
- some what warm treble?

Wondering what will suit the Clears and my Ears best. Will the Naim render properly the Clears without making them dry? Is the Tazzy too warm or will it render too softly the clarity of the Clear headphones?

I have no idea and cannot compare the hardware stuff cause there's no V1 available here + as for everyone Covid restrictions everywhere.

Other proposals welcomed.
Other idea... what about a Teac NT-505 streamer in the same budget? dac headphone amp, mqa over the network and ethernet that can connect it with a Nas ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Best regards.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #9,145 of 12,651
Hello to All !

I've just bought one and I'm wondering what would be the best headphones amp to pair it with.
I hesitate between 2 products considering my research, my taste and my requirements : stationnary small, combo headphone amp + usb dac input, dsd ready

Use / Purpose
This headphones amp will be connected to a PC through an USB cable (the spdif output is already taken by my Naim Muso Speaker which I use for my PC sound) 95%

Remaining 5% use : Maybe I will try to connect the dac with my TV for some sofa listening or use this in a far future with some hi-fi stuff

For my ears the best hi-hi combo would be after numerous tests : Naim Uniti Star and PMC twenty23 speakers.... however I do not have the budget right now for this

>> Naim DAC V-1
+ very good USB input with specific isolated circuit and treatment (Audiophilleo)
+ Sharc processor
+ class A
- dsd128 only

>> Sony TA-ZH 1ES
+ dsd 256
+ various connections : if it exists you can connect everything to it, even a smartphone/walkman
+ not the best of the best but among the good existing dac/headphone amps even if not as unanimously acclaimed as the naim, good reviews though lots of very good feedback on head-fi forums. And it's seems it pairs very well with the Clear.
+ can be turned off
- hybrid and not class A
- some what warm treble?

Wondering what will suit the Clears and my Ears best. Will the Naim render properly the Clears without making them dry? Is the Tazzy too warm or will it render too softly the clarity of the Clear headphones?

I have no idea and cannot compare the hardware stuff cause there's no V1 available here + as for everyone Covid restrictions everywhere.

Best regards.

I don't know about the Naim and Sony, but in that budget range take a look at the Chord Hugo 2.
SQ and versatility are top notch, and the Hugo 2 is often called the benchmark in its price range.
It pairs very well with the Clears.

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #9,146 of 12,651
Hello to All !

Use / Purpose

>> Naim DAC V-1
+ Sharc processor
+ class A
- dsd128 only

>> Sony TA-ZH 1ES
+ dsd 256
+ can be turned off
- hybrid and not class A
- some what warm treble?

Other idea... what about a Teac NT-505 streamer in the same budget? dac headphone amp, mqa over the network and ethernet that can connect it with a Nas ?

Best regards.
Not sure if it is still the community's welcome slogan, but WELCOME!!! AND SORRY ABOUT YOUR WALLET

Mar 10, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #9,148 of 12,651
Hello to All !

Use / Purpose

>> Naim DAC V-1
+ Sharc processor
+ class A
- dsd128 only

>> Sony TA-ZH 1ES
+ dsd 256
+ can be turned off
- hybrid and not class A
- some what warm treble?

Best regards.
I don't know these amps, but my Clears are very happy with a much less expensive pairing of Topping D50s DAC and Drop THX 789 amp.

Mar 11, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #9,150 of 12,651
Just picked up my Clear Pro + Arche DAC/AMP today - WOW. Now I get what all the fuss is about! Absolutely in love. I get the feeling that the Arche is a bit overkill but couldn't pass it up for the price I got. Testing the Clears out now on my Motu M4 interface and they sound amazing. Next stop is my TT setup with Heed Canamp :) Tomorrow I'll put the Arche through it's paces.
Coming from the Elegia these are a definite step up but still glad to have some closed cans for the office/late night etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back