Focal Clear headphones
Dec 7, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #901 of 12,550
Since they are low impedance. Would they have trouble with powerful amps like. Auralic Taurus , Violectric 281?

My desktop setup includes the Heron 5 and MicroZOTL, with the Heron the Clear sound better on the high impedance taps. I believe this is due to the ability to turn the volume up to a point where channel separation isn’t an issue.

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #902 of 12,550
Hey, has anyone tried the Utopia pad on the Clear? I want to purchase that next. I see no point in upgrading to the Utopia after several weeks of ownership, I sent back the MX4 to The Source AV, The Audeze was winning for a little bit soundwise, but the Clear managed to pull me in for more listening sessions. They are truly tough to beat in how comfortable they are and how easy they are to listen to. They are sweet as sht.

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #903 of 12,550
Hey, has anyone tried the Utopia pad on the Clear? I want to purchase that next. I see no point in upgrading to the Utopia after several weeks of ownership, I sent back the MX4 to The Source AV, The Audeze was winning for a little bit soundwise, but the Clear managed to pull me in for more listening sessions. They are truly tough to beat in how comfortable they are and how easy they are to listen to. They are sweet as sht.
Check Nomax's post on page 25 of this thread :) You must've missed his post because your post is on that page as well :p

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #904 of 12,550
Check Nomax's post on page 25 of this thread :) You must've missed his post because your post is on that page as well :p
Lol, Thank's dude. That was so many pages ago.

Dec 7, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #906 of 12,550
As the Clear gets more shipped out and people spend time with them you’ll get more impressions on this topic. Focal hasn’t shipped many into North America and we Americans tend to be the more immediate with regard to impressions. I for one prefer the faster SS amps but I can’t say tubes are a bad idea with the Clear.

Indeed. From what I can tell, these seem to relatively happy to pair with most amps, so system-matching might not be as full-time a job as with some others in this class.

That's why I'm really curious to see what sort of systems emerge as the go-to pairings for the Clear. My plan for these is a combined vinyl / tidal + roon rig and I'm wide open about what I use to drive them down the line. In the short term, I'll play with the Yamaha ( way more power than required, but sounds great ) and the Lyr, maybe rolling some different tubes if the initial pairing seems to work. Should be fun.

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #909 of 12,550
Can someone tell me how this hp compare to hifiman he 560 and the new sennheiser hd 660 s? I'm interested in a all arounder that don't have recessed mids.

I had the 560 for several years, but not presently, so large grain of salt. From memory, I believe the Clear’s have greater speed, dynamics, clarity, soundstage and imaging. I hurt, the Clear is the superior headphone, by a significant margin. I’ve never listened to the 660, but had the. 650s and again the Clear is are the better headphone.

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #910 of 12,550
After listening to the Clears today here are my short impressions:

Gear used- Chord Dave, Mass Kobo 394ii.
I will use the ZMF Auteur to compare against the clear, as it is my go-to balabced headphone.

Excellent detail retrieval here, on par with auteur here, with 60% of the tracks, the Auteur edges out. I do notice that the highs are not as extended on the clear. The clear has a,well, clearer instrument presentation, clean and precise. Thinner than the Auteur, but it is no HD800. Soundstage and imaging is a notch up from the Auteur as well, well defined instrument boundaries and delineation, with a slightly etherial-estat-like presentation; a rather impressive feat, compared to the auteur which has a fatter presentation - each instrument takes up more space on the stage and sometimes overlap. The soundstage depth is as deep/even deeper than the auteur.

Impressive dynamics- macro and micro. I heard some artifacting from the clear at loud volumes, could be the amp, YMWV. Very punchy sounding headphone, good impact, slightly edges out the Auteur. Transients are faster here, with quicker decays. I prefer the more natural, slower decay of the Auteur.

Tonality- As mentioned, clean, grain-free. Slight mid-bass and treble hump. Bass is well extended and the slight emphasis in mid bass can be quite pleasing. Sub bass rumble is not as satisfying as Auteur. Clear sometimes lack the natural timbre of instruments such as violins, guitars and it is especially apparent in piano recordings because of its refined presentation, but gains in clarity of delivery. Woodwinds and drums lack body just slightly, compared to the Auteur which has more body and oomph to each note. Depending on your preference on how organic you want your music to be, I prefer the Auteur. The treble is well balanced on the Clear, but on poor recordings it can make you wince a little, which is not the case with Auteur. Mids are more laid back, versus the more aggressive mids of the Auteur, i had to reach for the volume knob on the clears more often.

Overall, a great headphone at this price range, striking a good balance between Elear and Utopia. Amazing comfort and accessories set. This headphone will appeal to those looking for a HD800S with better imaging and more forgiving tonality at a slightly lower price. Its flexibility with various genres also makes this appealing. In the end, I Will still reach for the auteur given my penchant for slightly darker headphones but damn the clears come close. Both headphones being worth the money, it is only a matter of chocolate or vanilla.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #912 of 12,550
My video review is now live:

Phototristan, can you believe that someone on Amazon was trying to say my small little impressions I put up last month were fake haha. Because it didn't say verified underneath my purchase. I didn't purchase them from Amazon. They didn't even have these on sale when I got mines.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #913 of 12,550
Phototristan, can you believe that someone on Amazon was trying to say my small little impressions I put up last month were fake haha. Because it didn't say verified underneath my purchase. I didn't purchase them from Amazon. They didn't even have these on sale when I got mines.

Oh... I always wondered how Amazon would have so many unverified purchase reviews. If it's that easy, they should just lock it to Amazon buyers only.

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #914 of 12,550
Oh... I always wondered how Amazon would have so many unverified purchase reviews. If it's that easy, they should just lock it to Amazon buyers only.
Right, I was just helping people out with my own thoughts, obviously I already own them, so I'll jive in my own input.

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #915 of 12,550
I agree, I always pass the unverified over when reading reviews on Amazon. I also don't read the reviews where the products was given to people for their input. No disrespect to Illmatic9108 !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back