Focal Clear headphones
Dec 6, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #886 of 12,550
My only option is to buy. None available locally to try out. So sat a purchase will be completed.
Many of you have had more time with your Clears.
Do you still enjoy them after many listening hours?

Dec 6, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #887 of 12,550
I’m waiting for an appointment, so I’ll be brief, more to come later.

In response to your question, I’ve decided to make the Clear my reference dynamic Headphone. Sold my tricked out HD800, I enjoy music more on the Clear. I’m able to listen to Grunge, Classic Rock, all genre, which I didn’t with the 800. The Clear is more dynamic, equal in detail, a slightly smaller soundstage, but better imaging, my LCD3’s are collecting dust as well.

Dec 6, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #888 of 12,550

In response to your question, I’ve decided to make the Clear my reference dynamic Headphone. Sold my tricked out HD800, I enjoy music more on the Clear. I’m able to listen to Grunge, Classic Rock, all genre, which I didn’t with the 800. The Clear is more dynamic, equal in detail, a slightly smaller soundstage, but better imaging, my LCD3’s are collecting dust as well.
Thx perfect. Utopias a little too much in my face. So all the research I've done claims the Clears a little less fatiguing.
Thx again.

Dec 6, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #889 of 12,550
My only option is to buy. None available locally to try out. So sat a purchase will be completed.
It took me a little while, but at this point I would consider them the best I have owned (and I’ve owned a lot of them). Each day I’m appreciating them more. Very musically involving without harshness.

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #890 of 12,550

“... still enjoy them after many listening hours?“ man, mostly after many listening hours!!!

Clear is amazing, really. It delivers OTG, very good SE on my X7 ii, Excellent on a decent desktop DAC/amp balanced. I only didn’t tried it balanced on X7 (don't have the 2.5mm TRRS cable for clear), but will surely evaluate this option early 2018. A wise man said “Buy a Focal Clear TODAY because, ONE DAY, you will be DEAD!:L3000:

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #892 of 12,550
Listening to the 1963 recordings of Beethoven's symphonies conducted by Karajan (Blu Ray Audio release) on the Clear by way of my Oppo BDP-103, Schiit Gungnir and iFi Pro iCan... I've never heard these recordings sound so fresh and alive. What's more, they sound like they could have been recorded last week!

Somehow, the Clear negates nearly every last ounce of analog tape hiss and yet I find the sound not wanting for treble extension in the slightest. The same recordings on my Grado PS1000e and, to a lesser extent, my HD800S, sound like there's a window unit AC running in the background. How the Clear accomplishes such magic, I cannot tell you, but it's an incredible feat indeed!

I have owned several more pricey cans than these, but I'm thinking that Focal has produced my favorite of the bunch.

:)

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #893 of 12,550
Listening to the 1963 recordings of Beethoven's symphonies conducted by Karajan (Blu Ray Audio release) on the Clear by way of my Oppo BDP-103, Schiit Gungnir and iFi Pro iCan... I've never heard these recordings sound so fresh and alive. What's more, they sound like they could have been recorded last week!

Somehow, the Clear negates nearly every last ounce of analog tape hiss and yet I find the sound not wanting for treble extension in the slightest. The same recordings on my Grado PS1000e and, to a lesser extent, my HD800S, sound like there's a window unit AC running in the background. How the Clear accomplishes such magic, I cannot tell you, but it's an incredible feat indeed!

I have owned several more pricey cans than these, but I'm thinking that Focal has produced my favorite of the bunch.

:)
You are right about the tape hiss. I think that’s because the Clear’s treble is very clean and accurate where the PS1000e and HD800S have hot, hyped treble to give the impression of more detail.

Dec 6, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #894 of 12,550
This last batch of impressions is especially encouraging since my Clears should arrive tomorrow. Keep 'em coming! Thanks also to @TSAVAlan & @TSAVJason for chiming in on my earlier question re: amping.

I know the Clears are a relatively easier load than some phones in this class, but I'm curious to see what sort of consensus emerges regarding tubes vs solid state. I'll be breaking them in with a Lyr2 and a restored vintage Yamaha CR2020 that has a powerful hp out meant for orthos. No idea which will be a better match, but excited to find out.

Dec 7, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #895 of 12,550
Thx perfect. Utopias a little too much in my face. So all the research I've done claims the Clears a little less fatiguing.
Thx again.
the top end is less "fatiguing" compared to the Utopia. I put that in quotes since I find the top end of the Utopia to have Sparkle, but i know some people find it to be too much for them. Personally I think its a great attribute, but like the wise headphone man of yore once said-

"Different yokes for different folks"

Dec 7, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #897 of 12,550
This last batch of impressions is especially encouraging since my Clears should arrive tomorrow. Keep 'em coming! Thanks also to @TSAVAlan & @TSAVJason for chiming in on my earlier question re: amping.

I know the Clears are a relatively easier load than some phones in this class, but I'm curious to see what sort of consensus emerges regarding tubes vs solid state. I'll be breaking them in with a Lyr2 and a restored vintage Yamaha CR2020 that has a powerful hp out meant for orthos. No idea which will be a better match, but excited to find out.

More than enough to drive the Clear, heck, my iPhone will sound ok. The next step up is where you’ll start seeing how good the Clear is, my Fiio X7 or Mojo. My Heron 5 and Micr ZOTL are also excellent pairings, incredible bass slam.

With the Heron 5, the Clear sound better out of high impedance taps.

Dec 7, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #898 of 12,550

The Clears are wonderful. The burnin phase really made a huge difference. Regardless what people think during the first listen, keep them a week at least before making a decision. I've mainly used them with Mcintosh MHA100 and it's a very good pairing. Although they sound incredible even on my IFI Micro IDSD BL so good so i'm actually considering selling my MHA100 and use the money to invest in a Stax setup.

However that might not be a good idea, perhaps the Stax ruins Focal Clear for me... Once Stax you can never go back?

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #899 of 12,550

Since they are low impedance. Would they have trouble with powerful amps like. Auralic Taurus , Violectric 281?

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #900 of 12,550

As the Clear gets more shipped out and people spend time with them you’ll get more impressions on this topic. Focal hasn’t shipped many into North America and we Americans tend to be the more immediate with regard to impressions. I for one prefer the faster SS amps but I can’t say tubes are a bad idea with the Clear.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back