Focal Clear headphones
Aug 23, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #7,741 of 12,543
You win! You're the master debater!

Thank God this is such a subjective hobby. Otherwise I'd be hearing exactly what you're hearing 😉
Wasn't really looking for a debate, but rather sharing my own opinions and experience since you gave yours :)

In any case, the Clear is still a recommendation in my books and they're getting the most head time for me recently. Now if only Focal lowers their replacement pad pricing for the Clear pads like how ZMF prices theirs...

At least there's Dekoni for decent alternatives that for the most part, maintains the Clear's tonality.

Aug 23, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #7,742 of 12,543
Wasn't really looking for a debate, but rather sharing my own opinions and experience since you gave yours :)

In any case, the Clear is still a recommendation in my books and they're getting the most head time for me recently. Now if only Focal lowers their replacement pad pricing for the Clear pads like how ZMF prices theirs...

At least there's Dekoni for decent alternatives that for the most part, maintains the Clear's tonality.
Seems like they are very reliable along with the Stellia. I’m still surprised I liked the Clear way more than the Utopia. Didn’t think that would ever happen

Aug 23, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #7,743 of 12,543
Yeah, I wish their pads were less pricey. Would also be nice if dekoni would make a fenestrated velour pad for the Clear. That might be the ticket.
I'm glad I have the Clear Pro. I have a fresh pair of pads waiting when these originals are finished. I may have my wife see what she can do about washing these pair on the Clear lol.

Aug 23, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #7,744 of 12,543
An easy way to check the solidity of a center image is to play a mono recording. I like female voices. If you don't own any, they are easy to find on YouTube whether or not you like the style of music.

I use a mono recording to adjust toe-in of my front main speakers--when I get a solid center image, then right-to-left imaging will be at its best on stereo recordings.

Aug 23, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #7,746 of 12,543
Yeah I didn't notice that center image weirdness at first. But after constantly listening to it and sometimes changing headphones, then I go back to the Clear, I do notice that somewhat displaced center image. Crossfeed does fix the issue and makes the center image more cohesive and speaker like, but it's just strange that I don't find this particular flaw in other headphones. Maybe we notice it because of our reference speaker set?

On that note, I do think the Clear is closest to how I hear a speaker setup at my car, bluetooth and through our home theatre speaker set.
If you are aware of uneven hearing a balance control in your system (DAC or AMP) may help. I know the hearing in my right ear is slightly less than in my left ear (I discovered this when I'm on the phone and I move it from one ear to the other ear during the conversation). My RME ADI-2 DAC has balance (and crossfeed) control so I increased the output to my right ear by a few notches and I was amazed at how much the stereo image improved.

Aug 23, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #7,747 of 12,543
Seems like they are very reliable along with the Stellia. I’m still surprised I liked the Clear way more than the Utopia. Didn’t think that would ever happen
Curious what you don't like about the Utopia? I'm thinking of getting the Utopia down the line cause Crinacle gives them the highest ranking so it's really more of curiosity.

The Stellia I kind of want to own as well even though the sound signature is not close to either the Clear or Utopia, just because it looks really classy.

Aug 23, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #7,748 of 12,543
An easy way to check the solidity of a center image is to play a mono recording. I like female voices. If you don't own any, they are easy to find on YouTube whether or not you like the style of music.

I use a mono recording to adjust toe-in of my front main speakers--when I get a solid center image, then right-to-left imaging will be at its best on stereo recordings.

You may have a point, but we don't listen to recordings in mono though :p

If you are aware of uneven hearing a balance control in your system (DAC or AMP) may help. I know the hearing in my right ear is slightly less than in my left ear (I discovered this when I'm on the phone and I move it from one ear to the other ear during the conversation). My RME ADI-2 DAC has balance (and crossfeed) control so I increased the output to my right ear by a few notches and I was amazed at how much the stereo image improved.

It's not an uneven hearing between left and right stereo output. It's how I perceive the center image from the Clear that bothered me. It's not present on any other headphones I've tried, even doing a simple switching of headphones on the same part of the same track shows itself on the Clear.

As mentioned in my previous posts, crossfeed seems to fix the issue I've raised.

Aug 23, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #7,749 of 12,543
You may have a point, but we don't listen to recordings in mono though :p

It's not an uneven hearing between left and right stereo output. It's how I perceive the center image from the Clear that bothered me. It's not present on any other headphones I've tried, even doing a simple switching of headphones on the same part of the same track shows itself on the Clear.

As mentioned in my previous posts, crossfeed seems to fix the issue I've raised.
Terrific that the crossfeed works for you.

Aug 24, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #7,751 of 12,543
Why does he keep calling the Clears white? I see nothing but silver lol.
He was referring to the pads as "white" at first. Later in the video, he was mentioning the Clear framework as a whole as white. In some lighting, the pads and framework can come off as "white" than gray, but that could also depend on a person's ability to perceive colours or their sensitivity to colours. For me at least, there are times during the day (and in certain positions) that the Clear comes off as "white" rather than silver or gray in colour grade.

Aug 24, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #7,754 of 12,543
Hi Folks,

First time poster long time reader and I’m looking for a bit of advice.

I’m looking at purchasing my next headphone. At the moment I have a Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon which use primarily with IFI Micro DSD black label and Dragonfly red dac. I’m looking for something which I can use as well as my Nighthawk. I do love my Nighthawks but I do feel they can be too dark for some of my music tastes. I listen to a lot of classic rock, metal and jazz as well as some classical.

I’ve been looking at the Focal Clear as well as the Audeze LCD-X and looking for opinions on which one best suited for my tastes in my music. Trying to demo can be difficult where I am so it will more than likely be a blind purchase. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 24, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #7,755 of 12,543
Hi Folks,

First time poster long time reader and I’m looking for a bit of advice.

I’m looking at purchasing my next headphone. At the moment I have a Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon which use primarily with IFI Micro DSD black label and Dragonfly red dac. I’m looking for something which I can use as well as my Nighthawk. I do love my Nighthawks but I do feel they can be too dark for some of my music tastes. I listen to a lot of classic rock, metal and jazz as well as some classical.

I’ve been looking at the Focal Clear as well as the Audeze LCD-X and looking for opinions on which one best suited for my tastes in my music. Trying to demo can be difficult where I am so it will more than likely be a blind purchase. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have and tried them both extensively

They have similar presentation but, Clear has more balance, LCD X is kindda heavy in your head, LCD X has better bass quality, they're both same as bass quantity, clear slightly punchier though, Clear has clipping issue on certain track on bass heavy music (only certain type), not recommended for watching movies that goes lower bass extension such as explosion etc, you will be disappointed, LCD X doesnot have this problem, clear has better balance and better treble extension, mid somehow doesnot clear on LCD X on certain track defnitely not good on classical, i never tried nighthawk but i;m sure they're both not dark headphone, somehow i love them both, for rock, metal music i think LCD X is slightly better, but clear better on jazz and classical imo, they're both great cans, if i had to choose one based my personal taste, i will pick clear since they're more balance, if only they dont have clipping issue i will not keep my LCD X, oh also LCD X is easier to drive than Clear, but they both basically not hard to drive, just easier on LCD X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back