Focal Clear headphones
Aug 12, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #7,711 of 12,540
Not sure if it's just me noticing this, but after having the Clear for a while I start to notice how the stage presentation is a bit disjointed in the middle. It's like there's a hole in the middle of the stage and a hard left-to-right separation in that section, like there's a 10 degrees section in front of me that is blank space. All my other headphones don't have this gap in the middle whereas the Clear is kind of noticeable at this point. This makes songs sound less cohesive, and the way to fix this for me is by using a cross-feed like Meier cross-feed feature.

Just curious of others noticed this as well or if its just me. Wonder if how I position the Clear on my head also affects this gap quality.

Aug 12, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #7,713 of 12,540
Not sure if it's just me noticing this, but after having the Clear for a while I start to notice how the stage presentation is a bit disjointed in the middle. It's like there's a hole in the middle of the stage and a hard left-to-right separation in that section, like there's a 10 degrees section in front of me that is blank space. All my other headphones don't have this gap in the middle whereas the Clear is kind of noticeable at this point. This makes songs sound less cohesive, and the way to fix this for me is by using a cross-feed like Meier cross-feed feature.

Just curious of others noticed this as well or if its just me. Wonder if how I position the Clear on my head also affects this gap quality.
Thats a no on my front as well. Very cohesive presentation.

Aug 12, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #7,714 of 12,540

Going by your other gear, under your profile, I would say the Clear may give that impression 'cos of the airy presentation, kind of a wider center presence, instead of a pointy center source of sound.

But.

There may be an issue, 'cos what you described are signs typical of channel phase mismatch, i.e. left and right channels inverted in polarity. If you have an aftermarket cable, or interconnects, that may be wired out of phase between the two, left and right, channels. Hopefully it's not the drivers themselves that are wired inverted in phase. :p That would be shameless from Focal QC. XD

Check under "Wiring, Center vs Twisted" also "Left, Right" to check the cables are not breaking, shorted or something:
www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #7,715 of 12,540

When you compress the pads toward your head does this go away? Could also be explained by subtle difference in ear to driver distance.

Aug 12, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #7,716 of 12,540
Going by your other gear, under your profile, I would say the Clear may give that impression 'cos of the airy presentation, kind of a wider center presence, instead of a pointy center source of sound.

But.

There may be an issue, 'cos what you described are signs typical of channel phase mismatch, i.e. left and right channels inverted in polarity. If you have an aftermarket cable, or interconnects, that may be wired out of phase between the two, left and right, channels. Hopefully it's not the drivers themselves that are wired inverted in phase. :p That would be shameless from Focal QC. XD

Check under "Wiring, Center vs Twisted" also "Left, Right" to check the cables are not breaking, shorted or something:

One thing's for sure, it's not the cables. Did all the tests as per the link you provided and it passes all of them without a problem. Changed the cable to the other set and it's the same results.

Interestingly, the positioning of the cups on my ears does affect the stage for me. Placing the cups slightly more frontal and angled gives the center stage presentation and less empty space, but I still don't find it as cohesive or even sounding as my others. It's like there's a small gap(/s) in the center image. I suspect it's something to do with the dynamics of the Clear or because of the angled drivers changing the gain on my hearing. Using cross-feed fixes that for me for some reason. 🤷‍♂️

When you compress the pads toward your head does this go away? Could also be explained by subtle difference in ear to driver distance.
Compressing them doesn't make a difference to my ears. Readjusting the cups affects them more, but doesn't completely fix it.

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #7,717 of 12,540
One thing's for sure, it's not the cables. Did all the tests as per the link you provided and it passes all of them without a problem. Changed the cable to the other set and it's the same results.

Interestingly, the positioning of the cups on my ears does affect the stage for me. Placing the cups slightly more frontal and angled gives the center stage presentation and less empty space, but I still don't find it as cohesive or even sounding as my others. It's like there's a small gap(/s) in the center image. I suspect it's something to do with the dynamics of the Clear or because of the angled drivers changing the gain on my hearing. Using cross-feed fixes that for me for some reason. 🤷‍♂️

Compressing them doesn't make a difference to my ears. Readjusting the cups affects them more, but doesn't completely fix it.
The abyss 1266 tcs are crazy with positioning, so you may be on to something.

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #7,718 of 12,540
The abyss 1266 tcs are crazy with positioning, so you may be on to something.
Agreed, nothing compares with the Abyss TC's when it comes to the many ways it can be positioned or setup. The Clears are not that difficult in comparison.

Aug 18, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #7,719 of 12,540
Great post. Although the pads and headband that come with the clears are terrible. A horrible design choice as they stain from facial oils and hair goop(I use a putty by Dove for Men) from normal use.
Mmh so far I've washed my Clear's pads 3 times w/o issues or the foam going flat.
I was a wee bit too aggressive on my first wash but I now have the correct technique to avoid damage.

The headband I protect with a self knitted (by mom's hands, not mine :D) protection band. Works like a charm and can be washed along with the pads.

Aug 19, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #7,721 of 12,540
Mmh so far I've washed my Clear's pads 3 times w/o issues or the foam going flat.
I was a wee bit too aggressive on my first wash but I now have the correct technique to avoid damage.

The headband I protect with a self knitted (by mom's hands, not mine :D) protection band. Works like a charm and can be washed along with the pads.
Also, pics, or it didn't happen. :stuck_out_tongue:

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #7,722 of 12,540
Aug 20, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #7,723 of 12,540

Nah I knew 1 pc focal utopia here in my local community that got reverse polarity problem.

Aug 20, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #7,724 of 12,540
ykno I've had a similar issue as well. I've been doing a lot more mix/mastering on the Clear's since the pandemic started, and noticed that with the Clear's the center image is even more suppressed/missing compared to some other headphones I have - HD650, Sony CD900ST, and DT990. I guess I'm used to having center image with studio monitors, so its absence particularly noticeable on the Clears. It bugged me so much that I did a complicated setup with Voicemeeter, DDMF effect rack, and the Goodhertz canopener crossfeed plugin so I can run a proper crossfeed all the time. But I must say, once I started using the canopener crossfeed, the Clear's come really close to the studio monitor setup I'm used to in terms of imaging.

Aug 20, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #7,725 of 12,540
ykno I've had a similar issue as well. I've been doing a lot more mix/mastering on the Clear's since the pandemic started, and noticed that with the Clear's the center image is even more suppressed/missing compared to some other headphones I have - HD650, Sony CD900ST, and DT990. I guess I'm used to having center image with studio monitors, so its absence particularly noticeable on the Clears. It bugged me so much that I did a complicated setup with Voicemeeter, DDMF effect rack, and the Goodhertz canopener crossfeed plugin so I can run a proper crossfeed all the time. But I must say, once I started using the canopener crossfeed, the Clear's come really close to the studio monitor setup I'm used to in terms of imaging.

Yeah I didn't notice that center image weirdness at first. But after constantly listening to it and sometimes changing headphones, then I go back to the Clear, I do notice that somewhat displaced center image. Crossfeed does fix the issue and makes the center image more cohesive and speaker like, but it's just strange that I don't find this particular flaw in other headphones. Maybe we notice it because of our reference speaker set?

On that note, I do think the Clear is closest to how I hear a speaker setup at my car, bluetooth and through our home theatre speaker set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back