Focal Clear headphones
Apr 26, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #6,946 of 12,651
@dmdm
Yes, the LCD X is a very good headphone, sound-wise exactly on my line. and it is easy to drive for my dap .... only if I buy a second expensive headphone this year will the government at home slowly become aware :see_no_evil: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I'm driving the x and xc with an icon audio tube amp and they sound great. The clears I use with the bryston bha1 which really makes the bass shine.

Apr 27, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #6,948 of 12,651
There are days my system sounds better to me than other days
Days? More like hours.
Mood, mental status, fatigue, how much I have already heard and how loudly all massively influence the perceived quality of my Clear.
There have been days on which I put it back into the drawer after 10 minutes because it was clear to me (no punchline intended) that my ears weren't capable of benefiting from it.

I challenge you to try the (15 day trial period) with the DanaCable Lazuli Reference (which I owned w/Utopia) and tell me this is "complete hogwash".
Oh, I'm sure the sound will be much improved when I simply hold such a sexy cable. :D
It's just how our primitive brain works.

Wait, you wanted me to actually plug it in and risk scratching the contacts? Are you nuts?!

Yes the stock cables are a bit unruly.
That's a very... polite way of putting it.
It's like having a dog on a leash that is twice your size. You don't get to dictate where to go. :D
Esp the coiled one.

Stay on the desk.
I want in your lap!
Stay ... on the ... desk.
But your lap is so much more comfortable!

Fine... just stay out of the way when I am typing.
What are you typing let me see!

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #6,949 of 12,651
I just got these headphones and I'm beginning to burn them in with some pink noise. However, if I turn the volume up even moderately loud, the pink noise starts sounding really weird. It's like it's having a spasm, or pulsing, or sounding uneven, it's hard to describe. However, it's not the mechanical clipping, as I've tested that separately and know what that sounds like. This is different. Does anyone know what this is?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #6,951 of 12,651
The ear can twitch on wired sounds.
Hi, sorry is this responding to my comment (can't tell)? If so, the weird thing is I've heard that pink noise track on many other headphones, and never heard that spasm sound. I even A/B'ed back to back with my other headphones, and none of my other headphones made that weird sound; they just sounded like "pure" pink noise.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #6,953 of 12,651
Sorry, to clarify, I’m wondering why my usual pink noise file (that I always use) sounds like it’s spasming on the Focal Clear, on even moderately high volumes. I A/B’ed it on all my other headphones back to back, and the file sounded normal and “smooth” on all of them. But on the Clears it sounds like it’s going crazy and having a seizure, I’m not sure how to describe it. Does anyone know what I’m talking about?

Apr 28, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #6,954 of 12,651
Sorry, to clarify, I’m wondering why my usual pink noise file (that I always use) sounds like it’s spasming on the Focal Clear, on even moderately high volumes. I A/B’ed it on all my other headphones back to back, and the file sounded normal and “smooth” on all of them. But on the Clears it sounds like it’s going crazy and having a seizure, I’m not sure how to describe it. Does anyone know what I’m talking about?

Have you listened to any other music on them? Is it only an issue with pink noise?

Apr 28, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #6,955 of 12,651
how much more bass amount would the clear have over the hd 800 s and would it have a bit less treble amount then the hd 800 s?

i ordered the hd 800 s as they seem to be what i want, but if for some reason i dont like them, the focal clear was my next option to try

i used to own the hd 6xx and i currently own the lcd2 classics and would like more treble then what they both have but not as much as the beyer dt 990 for example, and for bass i want more mid bass from then say in the flat presentation on the lcd2 classics for example, and the hd 800 s seems to fit all of that while being lighter in weight and having more comfort then my lcd2 classics which is also important

but like i said if the treble is too much still i might consider the focal clear, if its not though, and the bass is equal to the amount of the hd 6xx or more then it will be fine also

but i think i will be ok as lately the way i perceive sound has changed and i am now able to listen to my music at what most would consider normal listening levels as i used to listen at lower volumes as "normal listeing volumes" would give me anxiety as my doctors have said due to my autistm certain sounds are more or less likely to bother me, and the treble on the dt 990 is not painfull like it used to be for me and on some songs is even enjoyable, but for others like in some edm songs i listen to its still a bit too much, so i am hoping the hd 800 s will be everything i am looking for
We told you, you wouldn't like the HD800. It was very Clear based on what you said. Focal Clear has much higher liklihood you find it to be your liking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back