Focal Clear headphones
Apr 25, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #6,931 of 12,651
Yes the stock cables are a bit unruly.

What's unruly is 4 (FOUR!!!) SVS PB13 Ultras in a Home Theater setup... :astonished:.... :beerchug:

Hope your house is well constructed :wink:

Collapse GIF

1587821491197.png
1587821495169.png
1587885925605.png
1587885930062.png

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #6,934 of 12,651
how much more bass amount would the clear have over the hd 800 s and would it have a bit less treble amount then the hd 800 s?

i ordered the hd 800 s as they seem to be what i want, but if for some reason i dont like them, the focal clear was my next option to try

i used to own the hd 6xx and i currently own the lcd2 classics and would like more treble then what they both have but not as much as the beyer dt 990 for example, and for bass i want more mid bass from then say in the flat presentation on the lcd2 classics for example, and the hd 800 s seems to fit all of that while being lighter in weight and having more comfort then my lcd2 classics which is also important

but like i said if the treble is too much still i might consider the focal clear, if its not though, and the bass is equal to the amount of the hd 6xx or more then it will be fine also

but i think i will be ok as lately the way i perceive sound has changed and i am now able to listen to my music at what most would consider normal listening levels as i used to listen at lower volumes as "normal listeing volumes" would give me anxiety as my doctors have said due to my autistm certain sounds are more or less likely to bother me, and the treble on the dt 990 is not painfull like it used to be for me and on some songs is even enjoyable, but for others like in some edm songs i listen to its still a bit too much, so i am hoping the hd 800 s will be everything i am looking for

Apr 25, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #6,935 of 12,651
Well you made the right choice imo. The Clear would fall in between the lcd2 and hd800(S). Lcd2 + hd800(S) is the ultimate allrounder setup imo. Some music will sound best on the lcd2, other on hd800(S). The Clear are more a jack of all trade. In general the Clear are perceived as having more bass and less treble than the hd800(S).

Also worth noting that since all of these headphones are TOTL, the amp (and even dac) pairing can subjectively make or break one's preference.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #6,936 of 12,651
how much more bass amount would the clear have over the hd 800 s and would it have a bit less treble amount then the hd 800 s?

i ordered the hd 800 s as they seem to be what i want, but if for some reason i dont like them, the focal clear was my next option to try

i used to own the hd 6xx and i currently own the lcd2 classics and would like more treble then what they both have but not as much as the beyer dt 990 for example, and for bass i want more mid bass from then say in the flat presentation on the lcd2 classics for example, and the hd 800 s seems to fit all of that while being lighter in weight and having more comfort then my lcd2 classics which is also important

but like i said if the treble is too much still i might consider the focal clear, if its not though, and the bass is equal to the amount of the hd 6xx or more then it will be fine also

but i think i will be ok as lately the way i perceive sound has changed and i am now able to listen to my music at what most would consider normal listening levels as i used to listen at lower volumes as "normal listeing volumes" would give me anxiety as my doctors have said due to my autistm certain sounds are more or less likely to bother me, and the treble on the dt 990 is not painfull like it used to be for me and on some songs is even enjoyable, but for others like in some edm songs i listen to its still a bit too much, so i am hoping the hd 800 s will be everything i am looking for
IF the HD800's doesnt work out for you (and it is amp dependant) and you are interested in the Clears, you may want to look into the Hifiman Anandas. They have nice treble, bass response and detail on par with the Focal's and are cheaper. I have the Anandas as well as the Elex, DT1990's HD600's, Hd650's etc and it is by far my favorite. I do not have the HD800's nor have I heard them but from what I have read, they are Amplifier picky and they make the music sound like the headphone instead of sounding natural. When it comes to headphones, you have to decide what you want out of them, do I want a musical headphone that I can enjoy my music with or do I want to do critical listening where everything has to be a certain way whether I enjoy it or not? Definitely a rabbit hole if you let it be. Good luck hope this helps.

Apr 25, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #6,939 of 12,651
IF the HD800's doesnt work out for you (and it is amp dependant) and you are interested in the Clears, you may want to look into the Hifiman Anandas. They have nice treble, bass response and detail on par with the Focal's and are cheaper. I have the Anandas as well as the Elex, DT1990's HD600's, Hd650's etc and it is by far my favorite. I do not have the HD800's nor have I heard them but from what I have read, they are Amplifier picky and they make the music sound like the headphone instead of sounding natural. When it comes to headphones, you have to decide what you want out of them, do I want a musical headphone that I can enjoy my music with or do I want to do critical listening where everything has to be a certain way whether I enjoy it or not? Definitely a rabbit hole if you let it be. Good luck hope this helps.

thanks! as for musical vs critical listening, i am not sure yet since i have only listened to the hd-6xx, lcd2 classics, and beyer dt990, i like all of them with the lcd2 classics being my fave but i want more treble the hd-6xx and lcd2 classics but not as much as the beyer dt990, and the same or more bass amount then the hd-6xx and from what i researched the hd 800 s would be what i want based on all that while also being a lot lighter in weight and having more comfort then the lcd2 classics which is also important. i will let yall know what i think of the hd 800 s when i get them, i ordered them but they are out of stock and they said they will most likely get more in this coming week

i use my headphones as my only audio option, so from music to mostly edm like the group above and beyond but other types of non edm music also, to movies/anime and video games which is my biggest hobby, so i am just looking for the same over or better sound quality (not necessarily the same type of sound, just the over quality i mean) of the lcd2 classics while weighing a lot less and having more comfort since i live like a hermit and spend the whole day basically at my pc

also if i end up loving the hd 800 s which i think i will, and once i get a new amp and dac to replace my pre heresy and + model magni 3, since i read better amp would be worth it and i dont have dac currently except the one in my pc, i might give my magni 3 amp and lcd2 classics to my little sister since every time she listens to them she always says how much she loves them and she does not have anything like that currently except her gaming headset she uses for her xbox

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #6,942 of 12,651

I own both the S and the Clears and they're both exceptional.

Apr 26, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #6,943 of 12,651
Well you made the right choice imo. The Clear would fall in between the lcd2 and hd800(S). Lcd2 + hd800(S) is the ultimate allrounder setup imo. Some music will sound best on the lcd2, other on hd800(S). The Clear are more a jack of all trade. In general the Clear are perceived as having more bass and less treble than the hd800(S).

I face a similar decision, would you rather see the focal of the stage width at the Audeze?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back