Focal Clear headphones
Mar 3, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #6,796 of 12,543
Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum! Really interesting to read all of your impressions. My recent addition to my headphone collection are the Focal Clears. I also own the DT 1990s and Audeze Sine. Until now, Ive been sticking to portable gear like the Dragonfly red and the ifi micro idsd BL. While I’m really happy with the sound I’ve got so far (especially with the ifi), I’d still like to get more out of my Clears with a stationary setup. Unfortunately I’m on a budget and can only afford either a new dac or amp right now, not both. What do you think will be the most audible upgrade for me: Schiit Lyr 3, Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Schiit Bifrost 2 compared to the ifi? I could use the ifi as a dac only and drive it with either the Mjolnir or the Lyr, or get the Bifrost 2 and use the ifi as an amp only with its 3.5 mm input. Or would you recommend a completely different product? Thanks so much for your suggestions!

How much are you looking to spend? Might make more sense to keep saving.

Mar 3, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #6,797 of 12,543
Which headphone do you like the most out of the iFi?

I can't really answer that since I only have a dragonfly red and an O2 amp as reference, and the ifi as a dac/amp combo sounds superior to both. With all my headphones.

Mar 3, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #6,798 of 12,543
How much are you looking to spend? Might make more sense to keep saving.

Not more than 1000€.. Yes you're right, it's just hard to accept that you're missing out on your headphones' potential (especially the Clears) LOL I could get a used (but good condition) Mjolnir 2 for 600 bucks though..

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #6,799 of 12,543
Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum! Really interesting to read all of your impressions. My recent addition to my headphone collection are the Focal Clears. I also own the DT 1990s and Audeze Sine. Until now, Ive been sticking to portable gear like the Dragonfly red and the ifi micro idsd BL. While I’m really happy with the sound I’ve got so far (especially with the ifi), I’d still like to get more out of my Clears with a stationary setup. Unfortunately I’m on a budget and can only afford either a new dac or amp right now, not both. What do you think will be the most audible upgrade for me: Schiit Lyr 3, Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Schiit Bifrost 2 compared to the ifi? I could use the ifi as a dac only and drive it with either the Mjolnir or the Lyr, or get the Bifrost 2 and use the ifi as an amp only with its 3.5 mm input. Or would you recommend a completely different product? Thanks so much for your suggestions!

I gotta tell you, the Clear is pretty darn good with the Black Label. In fact, I'd say if you're sticking to Schiit gear, you'd only start seeing a significant improvement around the Bifrost Multibit/Jotunhiem level. That combo preserves the slightly warm, analogue sound of the Black Label, but if you want more clarity and precision, then maybe one of the THX all-in-ones out there. The Clear definitely resolves well enough to pair well with a THX amp.

Mar 3, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #6,800 of 12,543
I gotta tell you, the Clear is pretty darn good with the Black Label. In fact, I'd say if you're sticking to Schiit gear, you'd only start seeing a significant improvement around the Bifrost Multibit/Jotunhiem level. That combo preserves the slightly warm, analogue sound of the Black Label, but if you want more clarity and precision, then maybe one of the THX all-in-ones out there. The Clear definitely resolves well enough to pair well with a THX amp.

Okay, thank you!

Mar 3, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #6,802 of 12,543
Unpopular opinion, but I think even 20k won't get you any audible improvements over the iFi micro. I'm running mine from an iFi nano, and I've tried A/B testing that vs my Macbook Pro. Can't tell them apart. I would say definitely try before you buy. Chances are you can't hear a difference.

Just buying a different set of cans is probably a better way to spend 1k.

Mar 3, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #6,803 of 12,543
Unpopular opinion, but I think even 20k won't get you any audible improvements over the iFi micro. I'm running mine from an iFi nano, and I've tried A/B testing that vs my Macbook Pro. Can't tell them apart. I would say definitely try before you buy. Chances are you can't hear a difference.

Just buying a different set of cans is probably a better way to spend 1k.

Maybe you can't hear the difference, but many of us can. The difference in sound quality between my Black Label and my Benchmark HPA4 is staggering, and so is the difference between my Black Label and my phone. IMO, People tend to underestimate the impact a good amp can have on sound and buying an expensive headphone to pair with mediocre upstream gear is a waste of money. Sound quality is about the whole chain, not just the part you strap to your head.

Mar 3, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #6,804 of 12,543
Maybe you can't hear the difference, but many of us can. The difference in sound quality between my Black Label and my Benchmark HPA4 is staggering, and so is the difference between my Black Label and my phone. IMO, People tend to underestimate the impact a good amp can have on sound and buying an expensive headphone to pair with mediocre upstream gear is a waste of money. Sound quality is about the whole chain, not just the part you strap to your head.

Agreed. Making the jump from a Asgrard 2/Bifrost stack to the Hugo2 was quite a jump in SQ.

Mar 3, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #6,805 of 12,543
Been enjoying music with the ah-d2000 straight out of my laptop, as well as the hd650. It has dual TI TPA amplifier on board, so it's not the average cheapo. But still makes you realize how easily things can get overboard with hi-fi.

If you have a headphone that does nothing wrong and a decent amp, then diminishing returns are fast to kick in. My Clear and Hugo1 work great, still, it was easy to like an Asgard3 and Lyr2 added in the chain, despite the obvious trade off between the added power and the loss of Hugo1's more transparent sound as an amp.

Mar 3, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #6,807 of 12,543
I meant, which headphone do you like better with your iFi? Does it change depending on what music/genre you playing?

well recorded music, acoustic, classic, jazz and live recordings I really love with my Clears. With modern pop & rock that's badly mixed I like the Sine because they are forgiving and not fatiguing at all regarding the treble. (The DT 1990s just sit on my desk,I use them only for videos and sometimes for music when I'm working on my computer; driven by an O2+ODAC combo).

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #6,808 of 12,543
I felt the Clear may have some of that hd800 tendency to be picky about amp/dac pairing. Which is, I suspect, the reason why many find them to have a metallic timbre. Which I found very strange, 'cos there was no sign of it with my Hugo1. Although there may have been a hint of that with the Bifrost Multibit vs Hugo1, as dacs, with Asgard3/Lyr2. Can't tell if it was the amps exaggerating that difference or what.

Mar 4, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #6,809 of 12,543
I felt the Clear may have some of that hd800 tendency to be picky about amp/dac pairing. Which is, I suspect, the reason why many find them to have a metallic timbre. Which I found very strange, 'cos there was no sign of it with my Hugo1. Although there may have been a hint of that with the Bifrost Multibit vs Hugo1, as dacs, with Asgard3/Lyr2. Can't tell if it was the amps exaggerating that difference or what.

I ordered a Schiit Lyr 3. My chain will then be iPhone (Tidal) --> Micro idsd BL --> Lyr 3 --> Focal Clear Pro
Thanks all for your suggestions. Let's see if I will like the Lyr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back