Focal Clear headphones
Feb 17, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #6,767 of 12,550
To anyone looking for a replacement cable for your Clears, I highly recommend Blue Jeans Cable MSA-1. I just got one and it's a significant upgrade in construction, and it's a noticeable sonic upgrade, which surprised me. It's less bright, with more detail resolution and better soundstage (at least in my system, YMMV). Send them an email and ask them to make it with a 1/4 TRS plug at one end and 2x 1/8 TS plugs at the other end, and make sure to specify that you want 12 inches of the outer sleeve stripped at the 2x 1/8 TS end (they default to 6 inches, which isn't enough for headphone cables).

Feb 18, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #6,768 of 12,550
So I've seen talk here and there about cleaning the pads on these - has anyone actually done it? How did it go? What is the process for cleaning the pads / headband on these things?

I didn't get great results when using the Sonax alcantara cleaner on my earpads. I did as instructed, which is to apply to surface and use a microfiber cloth to clean/scrub. Wait 15 minutes to dry and scrub off the cleaner again. I was supposed to repeat this until the cleaner is off the surface. It seems the cleaner is really difficult to come off though, I have been at it a few hours for 3-4 days. The pads are now darker in color and every time I handle it, I can feel the cleaner get on my hands. I am on a break from cleaning them. I bought some dekoni velour pads instead while I try to fix the stock pads.

From my frustrations in trying to clean the pads, I must say they are very well built. They are taking a beating from my scrubbing and are holding up quite well. No tears or anything. I still don't think it is worth $200 maybe even $150 is a fair price.

If I knew the pads were so expensive, I would've have taken better care of them and at least try not to daily(6-10 hours/day) the headphones. I was so used to companies such as hifiman and mrspeakers to have readily available earpads and be relatively affordable. I tend to buy 2-3 extra pair of pads if I know the headphone is a keeper and but I don't think I can do it with this headphone. I might just buy one extra pair just to have a brand new one and use aftermarket pads for regular usage.

BTW is group buys a thing yet on this site? The focal clears pads would make a great candidate.

Feb 18, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #6,769 of 12,550
I didn't get great results when using the Sonax alcantara cleaner on my earpads. I did as instructed, which is to apply to surface and use a microfiber cloth to clean/scrub. Wait 15 minutes to dry and scrub off the cleaner again. I was supposed to repeat this until the cleaner is off the surface. It seems the cleaner is really difficult to come off though, I have been at it a few hours for 3-4 days. The pads are now darker in color and every time I handle it, I can feel the cleaner get on my hands. I am on a break from cleaning them. I bought some dekoni velour pads instead while I try to fix the stock pads.

From my frustrations in trying to clean the pads, I must say they are very well built. They are taking a beating from my scrubbing and are holding up quite well. No tears or anything. I still don't think it is worth $200 maybe even $150 is a fair price.

If I knew the pads were so expensive, I would've have taken better care of them and at least try not to daily(6-10 hours/day) the headphones. I was so used to companies such as hifiman and mrspeakers to have readily available earpads and be relatively affordable. I tend to buy 2-3 extra pair of pads if I know the headphone is a keeper and but I don't think I can do it with this headphone. I might just buy one extra pair just to have a brand new one and use aftermarket pads for regular usage.

BTW is group buys a thing yet on this site? The focal clears pads would make a great candidate.
You need to get rid of the cleaner residue. It's a harmful mixture of chemicals which will be in contact with your skin everytime you use you headphones. May I say contact allergies?
I would recommend putting the pads in a washing machine, wool cycle, handwarm water, no tumble. I have cleaned my pads a few times already in this manner.

Feb 18, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #6,771 of 12,550

Have you given them a chance to really fully dry? The material looks like it’d take a while to dry out. I don’t think these pads are made of alcantara though, so maybe the Sonax isn’t the best stuff.

You need to get rid of the cleaner residue. It's a harmful mixture of chemicals which will be in contact with your skin everytime you use you headphones. May I say contact allergies?
I would recommend putting the pads in a washing machine, wool cycle, handwarm water, no tumble. I have cleaned my pads a few times already in this manner.

interesting - thanks for sharing. Do you just let them air dry after washing them? Or do you put them in the dryer?

Feb 18, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #6,772 of 12,550
Have you given them a chance to really fully dry? The material looks like it’d take a while to dry out. I don’t think these pads are made of alcantara though, so maybe the Sonax isn’t the best stuff.

interesting - thanks for sharing. Do you just let them air dry after washing them? Or do you put them in the dryer?
Just air dry.

Feb 18, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #6,773 of 12,550
That's a brand combo that interests me. Can you elaborate?
The Clears aren't to picky about amps but certain amps have very good synergy with certain headphones. In this case, the Burson Conductor 3X plays to all of the Clears strengths IMO. The treble is very detailed without glare. The bass is tight, punchy, and deep. The midrange is balanced and smooth. The transients are fast and snappy wthout sounding edgy. I also find the dynamics great without superb P.R.A.T. All without having to add any EQ. This amp makes the Clears a very, very enjoyable listen. The Burson has a hint of warmth to it that makes it a really musical sounding headphone amp. It also has goobs of power.

Feb 18, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #6,774 of 12,550
The Clears aren't to picky about amps but certain amps have very good synergy with certain headphones. In this case, the Burson Conductor 3X plays to all of the Clears strengths IMO. The treble is very detailed without glare. The bass is tight, punchy, and deep. The midrange is balanced and smooth. The transients are fast and snappy wthout sounding edgy. I also find the dynamics great without superb P.R.A.T. All without having to add any EQ. This amp makes the Clears a very, very enjoyable listen. The Burson has a hint of warmth to it that makes it a really musical sounding headphone amp. It also has goobs of power.

Thank you. That sounds very promising, particularly in relation to dynamics and PRAT. How is overall detail retrieval?

Feb 18, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #6,775 of 12,550

I was worried about the cleaner too that is why I went and bought a temporary pad for use. Thanks for the advice, if it can survive a washing machine then I may just hand wash them.

Yes, two days with sun shine indoors

Yea, I think the Sonax were too strong. I can't find any other reliably available cleaner though.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #6,778 of 12,550
I found a set of earpads on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BYYJRL8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_0NWsEbJ1QYKBW). They are only $50-90 depending on the material type. That’s a little more reasonable if I need to replace the pads 1-2 times a year.

Those are very promising indeed - nice find! Have you tried them yet? I wonder whether the velour or sheepskin would be better. I have always found the velour super comfy on my HD600 so I'm tempted to go that way. But the sheepskin looks more classy for sure. So maybe the hybrid? hmmmmm

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #6,779 of 12,550
Those are very promising indeed - nice find! Have you tried them yet? I wonder whether the velour or sheepskin would be better. I have always found the velour super comfy on my HD600 so I'm tempted to go that way. But the sheepskin looks more classy for sure. So maybe the hybrid? hmmmmm
I didn't like what these did to the sound of my Utopia. I much preferred the Elex pads as an alternative to the stock pads, although stock pads are best.

To my ears, the Dekoni pads raised the bass, but also 'bloated' it noticeably. I also thought they 'stole' a significant amount of detail.

Your ears, my ears, as always.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back