DB5BFB40-8FB2-4C08-9208-F8A86FFD61AC.jpeg
EB59CF36-8F34-4C75-A521-A889549013CC.jpeg
Just arrived.

Attachments

• 6EE5A5D1-1B92-441B-8D8D-F408F482EB36.jpeg
    6EE5A5D1-1B92-441B-8D8D-F408F482EB36.jpeg
    456.4 KB · Views: 0
Nov 20, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #664 of 12,548
I’m also going to be selling my clears I just got as my new utopias just turned up as well and I just don’t have the time to commit to both headphones at the moment. I kinda of jumped in and over committed without thinking to much about it tbh :)

And I don’t wanna listen to them when I need the cash for something else un related as I might end up wanting to keep them, I don’t want ro start the rabbit hole again when I just finally quit.

Nov 20, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #665 of 12,548
Here you guys go, sorry it took awhile. I took my time to really dig in to these tracks as I was quite unfamiliar with them.

Thanks @jinrawke !!! Some samples that I usually use listed below. I know it could be difficult when you are not familiar with the pieces. Nevertheless, I appreciate any impressions!

Rampal and Kudo
https://listen.tidal.com/album/3003043
Tracks 4, 5, 6. Listening for instrument tones and space among two flutes and orchestral sections.

Martha Argerich
https://listen.tidal.com/album/38981639
Tracks 13-15. Listening for piano (dynamics, complex passages) together with percussive elements

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
https://listen.tidal.com/album/59853985
Listening for vocal and variety of instruments (uke, etc)

Michael Hedges
https://listen.tidal.com/album/661548
Tracks 5 (balance and tone between bass and guitar), 6 (raw acoustic guitar)

looking forward to this...

I received my pair Monday and have been swapping back and forth between these and the Aeon Opens.

To be completely honest, at first, I thought the Clears were not for me. Like a few others have mentioned, I thought they were 'too thin and distant'. I've been listening to AFO for a full 2 weeks prior to the Clear so I was used to a more intimate presentation. As I kept listening, my initial impression no longer applied as I really started to appreciate the Clear's sound signature.

Rampal and Kudo
Tracks 4, 5, 6. Listening for instrument tones and space among two flutes and orchestral sections.

I spent over an hour listening to these tracks on both since this is the first time I've really listened to flutes in a critical manner and it was difficult for me to pick up. I'm a bit treble sensitive so at times, so I felt like I wanted to EQ the highs a bit down. I can't really give any impressions in full confidence but I will say that the Clears were much cleaner and a bit easier to listen to.

Martha Argerich
Tracks 13-15. Listening for piano (dynamics, complex passages) together with percussive elements

[track 13/14] To me, the Clears do a good job for this genre. It has the larger sound stage allowing each instrument to properly breath.

[track 15] What a fun song.
Again, headphones with a bigger soundstage have the advantage when there are this many elements to the song. The Clears are fantastic, you can pinpoint the position of each instrument and they just sound so accurate ( I can only imagine what it's like on the Utopias ).

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

I don't really have any complaints with the AFO on this album. Good detail, good separation and nice rich tone for the vocals but....

The Clears really shine for this album, really portrays the magic and sparkle. Just sounds like they have the perfect amount of space between each element. A good example is track 9 - each instrument has a presence without overpowering one another, it's really a joy to listen to.

Michael Hedges

[track 5] Slightly more intimate on AFO, more separation/air between the 2 instruments on Clear. Slightly better detail on the Clear
listened to this one track for over an hour on each HP desperately trying to find more differences and say ' I like it on this headphone better ' but could not pick.
This one will just go down to whatever preference you like better, imtimacy vs air in between instruments

[track 6]more space in between the instruments on the Clear
both guitar and bass are slightly more detailed on the clear.
guitar has more body on the AFO
Again - this one will be based on preference.

As I start to go through my collection, I'm greatly enjoying the Clear and I do believe this one is a keeper. Now to find a nice matching amp for it..... any and all suggestions are welcome!

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #666 of 12,548
Hmm, an open-box utopia is out of the question?

I like classical too and what I have found out by trial and error is that classical is very demanding. This is because large orchestral recordings are very hard to reproduce. They require a very neutral, transparent, and fast headphone and a very capable and neutral DAC/amp. For example, a headphone with a bass boost like the Elear will make the timpani thunder and dominate and the violins dimmed.

I haven't heard the Clear but everybody says that its tonality is between the Clear and the Utopia. If so, some bass boost will be there. I don't know if will be too much or not for you. I have read the Aeon Flow Open is a warm headphone (unlike the closed version which is neutral). If so, it will not be as accurate as the HD800 or the Utopia.

If classical is most of what you listen to you probably cannot go wrong with the HD800. In my case, I was going to get either the HD800 or the Utopia but the latter one impressed far more and it is much easier to drive.

If you are coming from a mid-fi headphone, I would say that any of the AFO, HD800, and Clear will impress you and sound a lot better than what you are used to. So, if possible, I would try to listen to all of them at a store. Well worth it.

Thanks! Utopia is tempting but I need to get over the mental >$2k barrier... :) I feel that there are sufficiently nice, now upper mid-fi(?!) products, in $1k-1.5k range, making my first step difficult. I agree I need to audition and let my ears decide but opinions on this forum are also very useful.

My current setup is Stax SRS3100 and HD600 (with Jot & Crack), both fed by Yggy. I like how my collection is presented in Stax and I am hoping Clear or HD800 will have similar tonal accuracy and clarity, give or take some other elements. I have removed AFO from my list since it seems to have a closer character to HD6x0. I really need to hear both Clear and HD800 :)

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #667 of 12,548
Thanks! Utopia is tempting but I need to get over the mental >$2k barrier... :) I feel that there are sufficiently nice, now upper mid-fi(?!) products, in $1k-1.5k range, making my first step difficult. I agree I need to audition and let my ears decide but opinions on this forum are also very useful.

My current setup is Stax SRS3100 and HD600 (with Jot & Crack), both fed by Yggy. I like how my collection is presented in Stax and I am hoping Clear or HD800 will have similar tonal accuracy and clarity, give or take some other elements. I have removed AFO from my list since it seems to have a closer character to HD6x0. I really need to hear both Clear and HD800 :)

I’ve had an Anax Modded HD800 with Draug 2 Cable for several years and my Clears should be here this week, I’d be happy to provide feedback.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #668 of 12,548
Here you guys go, sorry it took awhile. I took my time to really dig in to these tracks as I was quite unfamiliar with them.

I received my pair Monday and have been swapping back and forth between these and the Aeon Opens.

To be completely honest, at first, I thought the Clears were not for me. Like a few others have mentioned, I thought they were 'too thin and distant'. I've been listening to AFO for a full 2 weeks prior to the Clear so I was used to a more intimate presentation. As I kept listening, my initial impression no longer applied as I really started to appreciate the Clear's sound signature.

Rampal and Kudo

I spent over an hour listening to these tracks on both since this is the first time I've really listened to flutes in a critical manner and it was difficult for me to pick up. I'm a bit treble sensitive so at times, so I felt like I wanted to EQ the highs a bit down. I can't really give any impressions in full confidence but I will say that the Clears were much cleaner and a bit easier to listen to.

Martha Argerich

[track 13/14] To me, the Clears do a good job for this genre. It has the larger sound stage allowing each instrument to properly breath.

[track 15] What a fun song.
Again, headphones with a bigger soundstage have the advantage when there are this many elements to the song. The Clears are fantastic, you can pinpoint the position of each instrument and they just sound so accurate ( I can only imagine what it's like on the Utopias ).

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

I don't really have any complaints with the AFO on this album. Good detail, good separation and nice rich tone for the vocals but....

The Clears really shine for this album, really portrays the magic and sparkle. Just sounds like they have the perfect amount of space between each element. A good example is track 9 - each instrument has a presence without overpowering one another, it's really a joy to listen to.

Michael Hedges

[track 5] Slightly more intimate on AFO, more separation/air between the 2 instruments on Clear. Slightly better detail on the Clear
listened to this one track for over an hour on each HP desperately trying to find more differences and say ' I like it on this headphone better ' but could not pick.
This one will just go down to whatever preference you like better, imtimacy vs air in between instruments

[track 6]more space in between the instruments on the Clear
both guitar and bass are slightly more detailed on the clear.
guitar has more body on the AFO
Again - this one will be based on preference.

As I start to go through my collection, I'm greatly enjoying the Clear and I do believe this one is a keeper. Now to find a nice matching amp for it..... any and all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks a bunch for your impressions! I can only imagine it would be harder with music you are not familiar with, and painful if you don't enjoy it :)

I think your impressions are pointing me much closer to Clear and supporting other impressions on AFO. Look forward to more impressions from your collection as you log more hours on it!

Nov 20, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #669 of 12,548
They're here. If you think they look good in pics you should see them in real life. Packaging is outstanding. Love the cables, feel very sturdy, yet supple. Really like having all three cables come with them.

They've been in a cold UPS truck all day so I'm giving them a few hours to come up to room temp before playing them.

Nov 20, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #670 of 12,548
It seems like many people are hesitating between the Clear and the HD800 or HD800s.
This shows our high expectation about those new headphones :)

Same here. I upgraded from Elears to HD800S just for the imaging and sound stage. This was before Clears came out. I still enjoy the Elears but once used to the sound stage of the HD800S I could not justify the Clears unless they have the spacious soundstage of the HD800s. I actually may have cured audio nervosa with the HD800s. They are not perfect but they suit me fine.

Nov 20, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #671 of 12,548
Same here. I upgraded from Elears to HD800S just for the imaging and sound stage. This was before Clears came out. I still enjoy the Elears but once used to the sound stage of the HD800S I could not justify the Clears unless they have the spacious soundstage of the HD800s. I actually may have cured audio nervosa with the HD800s. They are not perfect but they suit me fine.

I don't think anything will ever beat HD800(whatever) for soundstage. I've been listening to 800's, and 800S's for what, eight years? I'll never sell mine, I bought the Clear just to have something different to listen to now and then for fun.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #673 of 12,548
Initial impressions, might change after more burn in and listening but for folks eager for some feedback from new owners these are my thoughts now:

The Clears are comfortable but the HD800S's are unbeatable in the comfort department. With the Clears you're wearing a nice comfy headphone with soft pads. With the HD800 you can't even tell they're on. I don't know why everyone doesn't do big earcups like on the Sennheisers.

If you like a big 3d image with spacey stuff all around you then you want the HD800's. They are the undisputed King of the 'big image' and I doubt that will change soon. Very nice on symphonic music.

In the 'texture, tone, and resolution' category I'm giving the win to the Focals. When you're listening to an oboe, flute, guitar, whatever, on the Clears it really sounds like an oboe, etc. I can't over-state how nice this is. It's quite addictive and if I had to own only the HD800S or the Clear this quality is what would make it a tough choice. I do not think of the HD800S's as a 'thin sounding' headphone but compared to the Clears... maybe a little bit.

For me Focals win in the quality and amount of bass, hands down, but this may be up to personal preference.

Focals win the packaging and accessories category, easily. Love these cables and the carrying case is a nice extra.

The Focals win the 'value for the money' category at their $1500 MSRP. I really think the HD800S's should be priced closer to the Focals, but what do I know.

Well, that's my initial reaction to these. Are they better than the HD800S's? It depends on what you like. Are they a real, honest-to-God, worthwhile competitor to the HD800S's and a worthy contender in the $1500 to $2k price range? Hell yes.

Edit: Just remembered one more thing - the Clears easily win in the 'dynamics' category.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #675 of 12,548
Well ear cup size is integral to design and greatly impacts sound signature. It’s not a matter of making them bigger for comfort’s sake.

By the way, is the bass on the Clear less impactful than the Elear or is it just more tightly focused?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back