Focal Clear headphones
Dec 11, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #6,486 of 12,550
Bcos, rly cant imagine any hp being overall better than the clear for movies. I ve a Hugo, but for movies i felt the power of some amps i recently tried, asgard 3 and lyr 2, really makes them more rumbley and bigger/deeper in stage. Idk, other than the h800, which again need a sinergetic amp to be better, what other better option there is.

Dec 11, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #6,487 of 12,550
Bcos, rly cant imagine any hp being overall better than the clear for movies. I ve a Hugo, but for movies i felt the power of some amps i recently tried, asgard 3 and lyr 2, really makes them more rumbley and bigger/deeper in stage. Idk, other than the h800, which again need a sinergetic amp to be better, what other better option there is.
I am going to have to buy new pads for my Focal Clears due to usage. So expensive, but other aftermarket pads compromise quality.
I might try to was the pads in washing machine.

perhaps should get the leather utopia pads which are easier to clean, but even more expensive

Dec 11, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #6,489 of 12,550
Thank you. I love my Focal Clear. I would like a 2nd Headphone that is under 400g and great for Movies. Currently I keep unplugging and moving my Clear for TV/Movie listening, but would rather use it only for music on my desk.

I am hoping for a under 400g, excellent Low end Base, Soundstage which is good for movies and has a 3m cable. I thought Sony MDR-Z1R is a good fit. I don’t like Audeze as too heavy. Also sensitive to sibilance.

Any ideas?

my budget is £1,600.

Hmmm...to your point, I never thought of using my Clears for movie listening as they get used for music only. Same for the LCD-XCs -- music only, typically at night. Although, I suspect I'd enjoy these for movies!

When I'm listening to movies via headphones, it's so I don't disturb others (usually action flicks).

For me the TH-X00s (even the DT770s) worked well prior to selling them. Now I suppose, I'd use my VModa M100s or B&W P7s if the need arises.

With your budget, it would seem that the Z1Rs would be a solid option given the sound signature that people describe.
Another set of cans that comes to mind would be the Klipsch HP3s (semi-open, w/Fostex drivers) based on some reviews. Spec sheet says it has a 2.5 meter cable (also a 1.37m cable).

Dec 11, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #6,490 of 12,550
Hmmm...to your point, I never thought of using my Clears for movie listening as they get used for music only. Same for the LCD-XCs -- music only, typically at night. Although, I suspect I'd enjoy these for movies!

When I'm listening to movies via headphones, it's so I don't disturb others (usually action flicks).

For me the TH-X00s (even the DT770s) worked well prior to selling them. Now I suppose, I'd use my VModa M100s or B&W P7s if the need arises.

With your budget, it would seem that the Z1Rs would be a solid option given the sound signature that people describe.
Another set of cans that comes to mind would be the Klipsch HP3s (semi-open, w/Fostex drivers) based on some reviews. Spec sheet says it has a 2.5 meter cable (also a 1.37m cable).
Thank you. I like the Z1R.

Dec 11, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #6,491 of 12,550
In a similar vein, The Emu Wood series shares Fostex pads and great bass with a more refined upper stage?

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #6,492 of 12,550
I don't recommend washing machine.
They will be destroyed.
Hand wash with mild detergent and lukewarm water.
I have been washing all my pads for years this way.

Agree. One important thing to consider is that even by hand, try to clean only the outside, avoid as far as possible water/soap to get inside to the foam. In my experience cleaning motorcycle helmet pads, what you destroy in a medium term is the foam, not the cover. My 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back