Focal Clear headphones
Nov 24, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #4,951 of 12,550
The heavy mids and rolled off highs on the Clear are the main reason I decided to upgrade (apart from comfort issues I had from day one). To answer your question: no, the Utopia is not mid forward. It is very balanced top to bottom with no apparent thickness in the mids.

To my ears, this is the least accurate description of the Utopia and Clear I’ve read.

The Utopia is extended, airy, and clean, but not balanced when you factor in the bass. It has the slightest bite, varying on recordings. The mids and highs are effortless.

The Clear is more neutral, if less airy and extended, but with more bass foundation. It is very much like a studio monitor style sound.

Compare the Clear with the HD650. The 650 has heavy mids and rolled off highs in comparison. The Clear is neutral.

Nov 24, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #4,952 of 12,550
The heavy mids and rolled off highs on the Clear are the main reason I decided to upgrade (apart from comfort issues I had from day one). To answer your question: no, the Utopia is not mid forward. It is very balanced top to bottom with no apparent thickness in the mids. Utopia's bass is faster than Clear's, but not as pronounced, meaning bassheads would probably enjoy the Clear more. However, the bass on the Utopia is not lacking at all, it is there at all times, perfectly defined and textured, but not as voluminous and hard pounding as on the Clear. The mids are just perfect for my taste, whereas the highs are plain magical IMHO. If I would to make a general comparison between the two, I would say the Clear is warmer and darker sounding with emphasis on the midrange (think Naim house sound), whereas the Utopia is neutral, neither warm nor cold, with much better resolving power, spot on imaging, great balance and intoxicating treble (yes, I like extended highs, that's why I got the legendary Sony MDR-EX1000 in-ears too).
I am not sure how you drew these conclusions. No, the Utopia does not have hard hitting bass, in fact it is quite the opposite, the Clear has noticeably more powerfull bass, albeit not as fast and textured as on the Utopia, but certainly more voluminous and impactful.

The Utopia is not mid forward to my ears, it is beautifully balanced top to bottom.

The comparison is a bit unfair to the Clear though, as I used the stock unbalanced cable with the 3.5mm plug, whereas for the Utopia I used an aftermarket balanced silver cable with 2.5mm Furutech TRRS plug. The stock unbalanced cable that comes with the Utopia is still in the box, as I have no equipment that supports its 6.3mm plug.

And just to confirm my conclusion regarding comfort, the Utopia is definitely much more comfortable. Based on other people’s reports, I am starting to think I had a slightly defective Clear with excessive clamping force from the factory, because it was impossible to wear them longer than 30 minutes or so. I really hated them for that. Even the B&W P7 wireless, which I sold last year due to comfort issues, were more comfortable (from memory) compared to the Clear.
I agree with your impressions of the differences between Clear and Utopia, with Clear having thicker mids and fuller bass (also goes deeper), while Utopia’s mids are leaner and bass being tighter and more detailed.
I just don’t agree on where you put the «neutral/balanced mark». To you, the Utopia is neutral and the Clear a bit dark. To me, the Clear is neutral and the Utopia a bit bright. The Clear’s mids aren’t thick, but neutral, the Utopia’s a bit lean. The bass on the Clear isn’t voluminous but quite neutral, the Utopia is a bit bass-light. The Utopia’s treble is a bit more aggressive, especially around the 6k area which, along with the leaner bass and mids, help give an increased sense of airiness. Utopia also has superior imaging and separation, but I could not detect any difference in soundstage size.

When it comes to clamping force, You may just prefer headphones with little clamp.
To me, the Clear is more comfortable than the Elear because the Clear clamps more and the pads are a bit firmer. The Utopia clamped so little that I was afraid they were gonna fall off (which they almost did when I tilted my head forward/backward), which I never got comfortable with. Pads on the Clear is also more comfortable than the Utopia’s imo.

Nov 24, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #4,953 of 12,550
To my ears, this is the least accurate description of the Utopia and Clear I’ve read.

The Utopia is extended, airy, and clean, but not balanced when you factor in the bass. It has the slightest bite, varying on recordings. The mids and highs are effortless.

The Clear is more neutral, if less airy and extended, but with more bass foundation. It is very much like a studio monitor style sound.

Compare the Clear with the HD650. The 650 has heavy mids and rolled off highs in comparison. The Clear is neutral.

I agree with your impressions of the differences between Clear and Utopia, with Clear having thicker mids and fuller bass (also goes deeper), while Utopia’s mids are leaner and bass being tighter and more detailed.
I just don’t agree on where you put the «neutral/balanced mark». To you, the Utopia is neutral and the Clear a bit dark. To me, the Clear is neutral and the Utopia a bit bright. The Clear’s mids aren’t thick, but neutral, the Utopia’s a bit lean. The bass on the Clear isn’t voluminous but quite neutral, the Utopia is a bit bass-light. The Utopia’s treble is a bit more aggressive, especially around the 6k area which, along with the leaner bass and mids, help give an increased sense of airiness. Utopia also has superior imaging and separation, but I could not detect any difference in soundstage size.

When it comes to clamping force, You may just prefer headphones with little clamp.
To me, the Clear is more comfortable than the Elear because the Clear clamps more and the pads are a bit firmer. The Utopia clamped so little that I was afraid they were gonna fall off (which they almost did when I tilted my head forward/backward), which I never got comfortable with. Pads on the Clear is also more comfortable than the Utopia’s imo.

Well, I come from a high resolution speaker system and have not had much experience with headphones in the past. Never heard the HD650. To my ears, the Clear is warmer/darker/thicker sounding when compared to the Utopia, I never said it was dark sounding in general. The comparison is strictly between the two, so read it in relative terms. The Clear is also less detailed and even veiled when compared to the Utopia. The Utopia is closer to what I have experienced with speakers, albeit without the soundstage. I don’t find Utopia’s bass lacking either (majby just a little bit on some recordings, but generally it’s there and it’s fine).

The comfort experience is so individual, I really wouldn’t comment on it any further.

Now I’m off to enjoy Utopia’s magic. :)

P.S. Please note my Clear experience is based on running them off the Ayre Codex (unbalanced), which is known to be pretty warm sounding DAC/amp. I run the Utopia from the Questyle QP2R DAP. Never had the chance to compare the two from a single source. As I previously said, it’s a bit unfair to the Clear as I run the Utopia in balanced configuration.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #4,954 of 12,550
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

IMO, it's important for each person to listen to the Clear and Utopia for themselves. The opinions about how they sound compared to each other, and to other headphones, are more variable than I've seen with most headphones.

I have found the Utopia is more sensitive to poor quality recordings, whereas the Clear, being not as resolving to begin with, are more "forgiving" with some recordings. When I am using the Utopias I expect a certain sound with the resolution and clarity they are capable of, which is superb performance. When I use the Clears I'm not as critical, but i'm not going to get the same level of reproduction either. Kinda like watching a show on a 1080 TV vs. watching it on a 4k TV with Dolby Vision. Different expectations, but both work very well.

I have never found the Clears to sound better than the Utopias, but I have found myself being less focused (critical) of the Clears.

Nov 24, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #4,955 of 12,550
I have found the Utopia is more sensitive to poor quality recordings, whereas the Clear, being not as resolving to begin with, are more "forgiving" with some recordings. When I am using the Utopias I expect a certain sound with the resolution and clarity they are capable of, which is superb performance. When I use the Clears I'm not as critical, but i'm not going to get the same level of reproduction either. Kinda like watching a show on a 1080 TV vs. watching it on a 4k TV with Dolby Vision. Different expectations, but both work very well.

I have never found the Clears to sound better than the Utopias, but I have found myself being less focused (critical) of the Clears.

I think it's useful to make a distinction between resolution and brightness. I look at resolution as mostly being a function of lack of distortion. Added brightness tends to increase the sense of resolution, even if there's not a decrease in distortion. When I compared the Clear and Utopia, I did find the Utopia to have a bit more resolution, but that seemed to be more due to added brightness rather than less distortion.

I too find that headphones with more resolution and/or brightness tend to be less forgiving of poorer recordings (e.g., the HD800S I'm listening to right now), but of course the added resolution is a virtue with good recordings.

Nov 24, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #4,956 of 12,550
I think it's useful to make a distinction between resolution and brightness. I look at resolution as mostly being a function of lack of distortion. Added brightness tends to increase the sense of resolution, even if there's not a decrease in distortion. When I compared the Clear and Utopia, I did find the Utopia to have a bit more resolution, but that seemed to be more due to added brightness rather than less distortion.

I too find that headphones with more resolution and/or brightness tend to be less forgiving of poorer recordings (e.g., the HD800S I'm listening to right now), but of course the added resolution is a virtue with good recordings.
agree that it’s easy to mistake brightness/peaks for resolution, like for example the cultists who claim the HD800 is the most resolving of all time...
However, I believe the Utopia is noticeably more resolving than the Clear regardless of brightness. Utopia is one of the most resolving headphones I’ve ever heard

Nov 24, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #4,957 of 12,550
agree that it’s easy to mistake brightness/peaks for resolution, like for example the cultists who claim the HD800 is the most resolving of all time...
However, I believe the Utopia is noticeably more resolving than the Clear regardless of brightness. Utopia is one of the most resolving headphones I’ve ever heard

+1 There is no sense of false detail with Utopia. It's resting on it's technical capabilities, not it's FR.

Nov 24, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #4,958 of 12,550
Well, I come from a high resolution speaker system and have not had much experience with headphones in the past. Never heard the HD650. To my ears, the Clear is warmer/darker/thicker sounding when compared to the Utopia, I never said it was dark sounding in general. The comparison is strictly between the two, so read it in relative terms. The Clear is also less detailed and even veiled when compared to the Utopia. The Utopia is closer to what I have experienced with speakers, albeit without the soundstage. I don’t find Utopia’s bass lacking either (majby just a little bit on some recordings, but generally it’s there and it’s fine).

The comfort experience is so individual, I really wouldn’t comment on it any further.

Now I’m off to enjoy Utopia’s magic. :)

P.S. Please note my Clear experience is based on running them off the Ayre Codex (unbalanced), which is known to be pretty warm sounding DAC/amp. I run the Utopia from the Questyle QP2R DAP. Never had the chance to compare the two from a single source. As I previously said, it’s a bit unfair to the Clear as I run the Utopia in balanced configuration.
Don’t want to be difficult, but when you say that the Clear is darker and warmer, while the Utopia is neutral, you are pretty much saying that the Clear is darker than neutral (which, at least to me, is the same as saying that the Clear is dark sounding in general). And again, I do agree on the differences, I would just call the Clear the neutral one of the two.
Amping does have a fair bit to say, I did play the Clear and Utopia on the Ayon HA-3 which made them both sound warmer than with other amps (perhaps because of output impedance). On the Ayon, I did find the Clear a bit warm/rolled off and the Utopia to be comfortably close to neutral (still a microscopic trace left of that 6k rise).

When it comes to speaker systems, my impression is that they can be as different as headphones. Especially if you take different rooms into account aswell. I just finished listening to the Piega Master Line Source, which are absolutely insane, but a small bit too treble-y for my taste. I prefer the Focal/Naim kind of sound, have heard some great systems of that pairing and they definitely sound similar to the Clear in terms of FR.

Nov 24, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #4,959 of 12,550
Its much more resolving than clear, but less so than Utopia. Nothing to with Brightness just driver design and accoustic design is levels above Focal. Make HD800 driver with beryllium and it will be more resolving than Utopia.
If Brightness means Resolution then Beyerdynamic would be most resolving...

Nov 24, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #4,960 of 12,550
Its much more resolving than clear, but less so than Utopia. Nothing to with Brightness just driver design and accoustic design is levels above Focal. Make HD800 driver with beryllium and it will be more resolving than Utopia.
wholeheartedly disagree :) Can’t detect any increase in resolve in the hd800 vs the Clear, but the Senn’s tunign makes it easier to pick out, almost accentuates, fine details.

Nov 24, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #4,961 of 12,550
wholeheartedly disagree :) Can’t detect any increase in resolve in the hd800 vs the Clear, but the Senn’s tunign makes it easier to pick out, almost accentuates, fine details.

+1.

I lived with the Clear and the HD800/S for a while and decided to keep the Clear. I certainly didn't hear a difference in resolution. I also thought I was a soundstage guy, but I don't mind the HD800 to Clear transition in the slightest.

Nov 24, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #4,962 of 12,550

Honestly many of the newer Beyers I’ve tried aren’t all that bright(though some do lean on the bright side still) and I found Beyers more resolving than many give them credit for, I personally think their resolution and fidelity are underestimated. While some Beyers are unforgivable treble cannons, but they often respond amazingly well to modding and correction. I never really found increased treble to increase perception of detail that much, too a degree it does which comes at a cost, but go too far all it does for me is fatigue the crap out of my ears causing my ears to protest, especially if a headphone has a lot of grain. And since I spend many hours at a time listening to a headphone, fatigue issues pop up quickly if it’s a problem with the headphone.

The Utopia is honestly one of the least fatiguing headphones I’ve listened to. My personal experience is truly high resolving headphones shouldn’t cause listening fatigue and should sound very real without the weird hollowness, roughness, grit, haze, unnatural tone, etc. lesser headphones have. Also subtle detail should come across with ease like an “Ah so that’s what that sound was” “I didn’t know that was even there” without feeling forced, strained, or exaggerated. It’s just there effortlessly.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #4,965 of 12,550
+1 There is no sense of false detail with Utopia. It's resting on it's technical capabilities, not it's FR.
i've not heard the clear to compare it to the utopia. while a brighter presentation may give the impression of enhanced detail, it won't make it sound any more refined. an example of the utopia's resolution is the way in which it reproduces cymbal crashes without "hash" or "tizz".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back