Focal Clear headphones
Jul 13, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #4,157 of 12,548
Don't expect the same with the Ananda: they are " L- shaped" = bass over-emphasized with both mids and treble recessed compared to the bass. ...

I mostly agree with your assessment. Bass is bit more emphasized than treble. Still I am unsure whether Ananda is good for relaxing. Female vocals are slightly recessed, but still its tone is bit sharp with bright tone. I would rather take ether or aeon open flow as complements to Clear.

Jul 14, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #4,158 of 12,548
Thoughts on CTH vs CTH+? Looking to pull the trigger on either of those. My only reservation about Audio-GD are that they're based in China should any issues arise or if I am not entirely satisfied with the product, shipping it back and most likely at my expense will be a bit of a deterrent.

I just noticed that the amp does not have any RCA outputs so I can connect it to my receiver that power my speakers + subwoofer. Hmmmmm. I use my headphones with my work computer but most of the times I am listening through speakers. The only work around seems to switch the sound source in Control Panel > Sound > Default sound device

Unless I pair the CTH with the Airist Audio R-2R DAC (which is not for sale at the moment). Not sure how this combination synergizes with the Clear. Anyone? Thank you!

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #4,159 of 12,548
Unless I pair the CTH with the Airist Audio R-2R DAC (which is not for sale at the moment). Not sure how this combination synergizes with the Clear. Anyone? Thank you!

Jul 14, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #4,160 of 12,548
Thoughts on CTH vs CTH+? Looking to pull the trigger on either of those. My only reservation about Audio-GD are that they're based in China should any issues arise or if I am not entirely satisfied with the product, shipping it back and most likely at my expense will be a bit of a deterrent.

I just noticed that the amp does not have any RCA outputs so I can connect it to my receiver that power my speakers + subwoofer. Hmmmmm. I use my headphones with my work computer but most of the times I am listening through speakers. The only work around seems to switch the sound source in Control Panel > Sound > Default sound device

Don't know where you're from but in for example europe are some great importers of audio gd, like magna hifi.

All importers are on audio gd's website.

I've had audio gd and my dad uses nothing but audio gd on his speakers. They offer amazing quality for the price and a lifetime warranty if anything would happen.

Jul 14, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #4,161 of 12,548
Thoughts on CTH vs CTH+? Looking to pull the trigger on either of those. My only reservation about Audio-GD are that they're based in China should any issues arise or if I am not entirely satisfied with the product, shipping it back and most likely at my expense will be a bit of a deterrent

I have the Clear and the Cavalli Tube Hybrid. They synergize well, providing plenty of power to drive the Clear. I usually pair the CTH with the Chord Mojo or the iFi iDSD Nano Black and use my MBP or FiiO X7 Mk2 as source.
The CTH+ wasn’t available when I ordered the CTH, though like you I was looking at the Airist Audio R-2R Dac. Honestly the power, detail, and SQ is so good from my current setup that I didn’t feel the need to pick it up at this point. Plus they aren’t shipping until the end of the year

Hope that helps

Jul 14, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #4,162 of 12,548
Jul 16, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #4,164 of 12,548
Have we had good luck with tube amps with the Clears.
Only tube amp I’ve tried it with is the Ayon HA-3, which was overly warm for my taste. I don’t think it’ll pair well with OTL tubes, but maybe something like a Lyr3, a hybrid, will be a good fit

Jul 16, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #4,165 of 12,548
Great album which sounds wonderfully clear and balanced with the Clear (to my ears): "Adventure" by Lydian Collective

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #4,166 of 12,548
Great album which sounds wonderfully clear and balanced with the Clear (to my ears): "Adventure" by Lydian Collective
listening to the Clear and the new Dave Mathews Band album off the 600i. Good stuff for sure. Very "Clear" sounding as usual ha. For real though, very balanced all the way around. This combo lets the Clear do what it does best. Great separation, tight bass and fast!

Jul 21, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #4,167 of 12,548
I promised more updates on the Clear some time ago. It's time to revisit it, considering that I've had these headphones for a while now.

Out of the box, they perform well, but not $1500 well. I think the bass is excellent, probably the best I've heard out of an open, dynamic driver headphone. The mids are solid, good tone and resolution all around but I've heard better, mainly out of electrostatics. The highs, however, are a bit of a let-down, as they're overly sharp, slightly artificial, and lack resolve compared to high-end electrostatics. The soundstage isn't the biggest and imaging is a bit confused, though the dynamics and tactile punch are all excellent, as has been said.

So, not content with the level of performance I was getting, I busted out the diagnostic tools, mainly a test tone generator with a frequency slider. This way I can listen to the frequency response directly, without having to rely on measurements and trying to work out a compensation curve that compares what the mic's hearing to what my ears hear. And what I heard was pretty telling.

The highs have a series of closely spaced peaks - roughly at 6, 7.5, 8.5, and 11khz, respectively. The 7.5khz peak is universal to full-size headphones for me and doesn't show up in most measurements. The other 3 do show up in some of the measurements posted on a certain not so friendly site, and those measurements are pretty spot on with what I hear.

Whenever you have closely spaced peaks like this, you tend to lose detail in whatever frequency range they reside in. This is due to a phenomenon called masking frequencies. In essence, the brain has a tendency to fixate on whatever sound is loudest, and ignore sounds that are quiet, especially when those sounds are in a frequency range right next to the frequency response peak. So if you have a peak at 6khz and another at 7, you're gonna lose some detail at 6.5khz since the brain will gloss over those sounds in favor of the louder peaks. I think this is why the highs seem artificial and not very resolved on the Clear, at least compared to electrostatic headphones.

Fortunately, the gods invented equalizers so we can fix some of this. Using a decent EQ plugin I created a profile that smooths out the highs. It's a big jagged, and I'm still working on it, but listening to a sine sweep with the EQ on, the highs are now smooth.

Once I got the highs to behave, the Clear pretty much transformed. Gone is the sharp, artificial sound, and in its place is remarkable smoothness and resolve. The imaging also improved, since depth cues are now being represented correctly, and the overall sound is open, airy, and clear. Comparing the Clear to the Stax L700, the Clear actually outresolves the L700 a bit in the highs, and certainly in the bass. I think the L700 has a more natural midrange and its soundstage is wider, and its imaging is better, but the two are neck and neck now, and they weren't before. Granted, I'm also EQing the L700, which is less neutral than the Clear overall, though with a notably smoother response.

I really like the Clear now. One of my favorite qualities in a headphone is the combination of liquid smoothness and resolve. The truly great headphones do this, and up until now, electrostatics did it better than anything else. But here's a dynamic, and I'll be damned if it isn't doing the same thing, and even better than some of the 'stats I have.

Are there still problems? Sure. There's an audible resonance somewhere around 3-3.5khz, or maybe around 4. Listening to a tone somewhere in that frequency range, I can hear some ringing. In most other spots it's a pure tone, but in that range there's something going on. I can't fix it with EQ so I'm not gonna worry about it, but it does affect the sound a bit, and some of the higher-pitched vowels in vocals have a slightly unnatural character to them. The highs are also a bit metallic sounding. I've read that resonances just beyond the audible range can cause this, and sure enough, the Clear has a measurable resonance somewhere around 22-24khz.

So nothing is perfect. But I think I'm keeping this one. At least until something better comes along.

P.S. I'm not gonna post the EQ settings cause I'm still working on them, but come up with your own. My ears aren't that great anyway. Yes, you lose some detail and dynamics with EQ, but if you use it correctly you gain more detail and accuracy than you lose. I'm kicking myself now for the years and thousands wasted looking for the perfect headphones, when you can simply take good headphones and make them better with a little bit of effort. Though you do need to start with something that's reasonably close to neutral and something that performs well, cause if you have a dog, no amount of EQing will fix it.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #4,168 of 12,548

Yes, you lose some detail and dynamics with EQ, but if you use it correctly you gain more detail and accuracy than you lose. I'm kicking myself now for the years and thousands wasted looking for the perfect headphones, when you can simply take good headphones and make them better with a little bit of effort. Though you do need to start with something that's reasonably close to neutral and something that performs well, cause if you have a dog, no amount of EQing will fix it.

I agree with you in that EQ is a powerful tool. What plug-in software are you using with Clear? Bob Katz wrote a bit about DMG Equilibrium in his article praising it is pure and transparent. I use DMG Equality and think they are of very high quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back