Focal Clear headphones
Jul 4, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #4,126 of 12,501
Just curious, does anyone else who has had multiple Focal HPs (Utopia, Elear, Clear, Elex) notice a difference in clamping pressure for the Clear. I've only had the Clear for a week or so but it seems to clamp a lot harder than the Elear that I also have. Starts to bother me after about an hour. I'm pretty sure that I've seen some others on this or different forums who have also noticed a difference in clamping pressure.

Hi Ken,

I tried this with my Utopia, Elear and Clear for you.
In the same setting all three produce exactly the same clamping force.

However this clamping forces varies a lot depending on the setting:
- if I "completely" retract them (pads up) into the headband, the clamping force is at its strongest; even if I bang my head they will not move
- on the opposite if I "completely" extract, draw them out of the headband (pads down), they are fully loose.
I like this quite much because it allows to change and find the ideal trade-off between clamping force and comfort for different situations and uses.

It seems that many are not aware of this. I remember once seeing on youtube a review of the Utopia whereby the reviewer complained that they were loose on his head and could fall off. Yet he had them in a very, if not the most, extracted setting, apparently he had not realized he should not have extracted them this much, and should even have done the opposite for mobile, active use.

Swap the Clear pads to the Elear to see if the Elear seems like it clamps a little more. My understanding is the yoke on both are identical.

I agree with you, TSAVJason. At least the yokes of my Utopia, my Elear and my Clear seem to be exactly the same and they do function in an identical manner.

Re. those of you feeling that the different models have different clamping forces: are you sure you are comparing headphones with the exact same setting re. the extracting - retracting configuration?

hoping this help,
bidn

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #4,128 of 12,501
the utopia's yoke is made from carbon fibre
I think the yokes don’t have any give to them no matter if they’re aluminium or carbon fibre, the important thing there is that they’re all the same shape. The give (and probably eventual variations in clamping force) will come from earpads and the headband I think.

Jul 4, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #4,129 of 12,501
When holding my Clear in hand, I’m very sure there’s less rattling from the headband than my Elear had, like the pieces are more tightly put together. Might be variations between the two exact pairs, might be difference between elear and clear in general, or it might be differences in wearing time (the Clear is still pretty new).
Other than that they seem to be identical in headband design, yokes, earcups.. I think the difference in clamping pressure is mostly from the Clear pads and headband padding being firmer. Which again could be mostly because the Clear is newer, but I’m pretty sure the Elear’s pads were more squishy even straight out of the box.
I can’t recall the Utopia being particularly firm or loose, not something I noticed. It did feel a bit heavier than the other two (might be just the stock cable wheighing them down) and the leather might be more «slippery» to the touch, which might give the impression that they don’t sit as securely on head.

Jul 4, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #4,130 of 12,501
I think the yokes don’t have any give to them no matter if they’re aluminium or carbon fibre, the important thing there is that they’re all the same shape. The give (and probably eventual variations in clamping force) will come from earpads and the headband I think.
the utopia's carbon fibre yoke is quite thin and does flex or the headband does at least

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #4,132 of 12,501
Hi Ken,

I tried this with my Utopia, Elear and Clear for you.
In the same setting all three produce exactly the same clamping force.

However this clamping forces varies a lot depending on the setting:
- if I "completely" retract them (pads up) into the headband, the clamping force is at its strongest; even if I bang my head they will not move
- on the opposite if I "completely" extract, draw them out of the headband (pads down), they are fully loose.
I like this quite much because it allows to change and find the ideal trade-off between clamping force and comfort for different situations and uses.

It seems that many are not aware of this. I remember once seeing on youtube a review of the Utopia whereby the reviewer complained that they were loose on his head and could fall off. Yet he had them in a very, if not the most, extracted setting, apparently he had not realized he should not have extracted them this much, and should even have done the opposite for mobile, active use.

I agree with you, TSAVJason. At least the yokes of my Utopia, my Elear and my Clear seem to be exactly the same and they do function in an identical manner.

Re. those of you feeling that the different models have different clamping forces: are you sure you are comparing headphones with the exact same setting re. the extracting - retracting configuration?

hoping this help,
bidn

Appreciate you doing this. The clamping is not terrible but probably the first time I noticed it on one of my over the ear headphones. I remember the Elear being firm but I don't remember the clamp being as tight. Might have to put them back on.

As much as I really liked the Elear the Clear is much more refined. While the Clear doesn't have the dynamic thump of the Elear (sample track - synth at the beginning of Michael Jackson's "Bad") it is much more coherent and even in presentation (sample track - Rolling Stones "Sympathy for the Devil). I don't think a simple change in the Elear/Elex frequency response (via pads or TrueFi) could bring those headphones up to the same level of refinement as the Clear.

Well worth the premium on the Elear/Elex on it's own but you also get a case and 3 cables.

I've been using it with a Gungnir (non MB) DAC and going back and forth between an Massdrop Liquid Carbon X and a Schiit Ly2 and couldn't be happier.

Jul 7, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #4,133 of 12,501
As much as I really liked the Elear the Clear is much more refined. While the Clear doesn't have the dynamic thump of the Elear...

I just received my Clear today and have been doing some A/B testing with the Elear. I agree the Clear is much more refined, but I find the bass to be almost as deep as the Elear, but tighter and better balanced with the mids. I've also been comparing to my HD 800(S), and I'd categorize the Clear as almost a perfect split between the resolution of the HD 800(S) and the punch of the Elear. I think the Clear + HD800(S) is my headphone endgame, now need to figure out my endgame amp/dac setup.

Jul 7, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #4,134 of 12,501
I have a Clear here as well. Love them so far. For me, the clamp is tighter than that of the Utopia, which I have lived with for two years (so am very used to their clamp). However, I look at this as a good thing; the first thing that struck me about the Clear was it's welcome snug fit. In terms of build, everything about them seems so elegantly simple. Sound signature strikes me as very balanced so far, albeit with only having listened to a handful of tracks.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #4,135 of 12,501
Strange, my Elear was much more of a firm fit than the Clear. I had to do a slight bend on the headband to make it more comfortable, but the Clear fit great straight out of the box.

Jul 10, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #4,136 of 12,501
I just received my Clear today and have been doing some A/B testing with the Elear. I agree the Clear is much more refined, but I find the bass to be almost as deep as the Elear, but tighter and better balanced with the mids. I've also been comparing to my HD 800(S), and I'd categorize the Clear as almost a perfect split between the resolution of the HD 800(S) and the punch of the Elear. I think the Clear + HD800(S) is my headphone endgame, now need to figure out my endgame amp/dac setup.
Great!! I totally agree with your thoughts on the Clear and the HD800s. I think thats a good way to put it.

Its nice that the Clear is easier to drive, you will then just need an amp that can drive the HD800s well. What you have now?

Jul 10, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #4,137 of 12,501
I’m starting to develop addiction to Clear + CMA400i sound ...
I look at my home audio system and think if I'll convert it into one more Vespa classic scooter ... :rolling_eyes: ... damned Focal.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #4,139 of 12,501
Anyone going to try the hifiman ananda? to compliment their clears.

I left my Clear at my parents' house, so I need to rely on my memory. But I am not sure they complement well each other. Both of them are somewhere between neutral - slightly bright. IMO, they are more like substitute. Ananda is lighter and more comfortable. But Clear has smoother FR across spectrum.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #4,140 of 12,501
I left my Clear at my parents' house, so I need to rely on my memory. But I am not sure they complement well each other. Both of them are somewhere between neutral - slightly bright. IMO, they are more like substitute. Ananda is lighter and more comfortable. But Clear has smoother FR across spectrum.
Bummer. I was hoping the ananda would be overall warmer. Tho I like my Clears. I prefer the bass of my hifiman 400. Two reviews I read gave the ananda about 8 out of ten. Last year same two, gave the Clears about 7 out of ten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back