Focal Clear headphones
Feb 6, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #2,491 of 12,548
Any chance we could have the cable advertisements in the MOT announcements instead? That's how it usually goes here.

Also I'm well aware critical cable discussions are often meant for the sound science forum, but if cable sound quality improvements are presented here as supposed facts it's important to emphasize that a lot of people see these high priced cables with extreme profit margins as more or less a scam. Until TSAV employees (or anyone else selling similar products) pass a double blind volume matched test to even identify these 499 dollar cables they are selling I will remain extremely sceptical. And if they do another question is if that change is a positive one compared to the stock cable or if it degraded sound quality. Many so called high end cables are just so out of spec they will do weird things to the signal and this may be perceived as "better".

On the other hand if someone feels like they can hear differences with cables I have no problem with them posting their experiences here (I won't read those posts, but others who feel cables make a difference can and that's fine), but members of the trade should not advertise their cables on headphone threads like this.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #2,492 of 12,548
I have the ifi Pro iCan amp. I prefer always using balanced with my headphones. I think they really benefit from it. Specially high impedance headphones. However, to me the Clear is an exemption. The ifi is a super powerful headphone, up to 14,000 mW and driving the Clear in balanced mode is overkill. The clear brings the music in your face as we all know, but balanced, at least with this amp, it is in your face multiplied x 2. It is just too much.

In this case I prefer single ended.
Interesting. My 800S sounded better single ended. With the Violectric 280. The single ended added bass.

Feb 6, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #2,493 of 12,548
Today was the day- I am now a proud owner of a brand new pair of Focal Clear headphones. :)

Actually, I did the deal today. It's a gift from my family for my 60th birthday in a few weeks. So they will hang in the box waiting until 2/20! These were my self-imposed limitations. But in a few weeks, I'll be ready!

Happy Birthday!

Feb 6, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #2,495 of 12,548
Any chance we could have the cable advertisements in the MOT announcements instead? That's how it usually goes here.

Also I'm well aware critical cable discussions are often meant for the sound science forum, but if cable sound quality improvements are presented here as supposed facts it's important to emphasize that a lot of people see these high priced cables with extreme profit margins as more or less a scam. Until TSAV employees (or anyone else selling similar products) pass a double blind volume matched test to even identify these 499 dollar cables they are selling I will remain extremely sceptical. And if they do another question is if that change is a positive one compared to the stock cable or if it degraded sound quality. Many so called high end cables are just so out of spec they will do weird things to the signal and this may be perceived as "better".

On the other hand if someone feels like they can hear differences with cables I have no problem with them posting their experiences here (I won't read those posts, but others who feel cables make a difference can and that's fine), but members of the trade should not advertise their cables on headphone threads like this.

Fully agreed.

Feb 6, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #2,496 of 12,548

Being cautious or skepticle isn’t a bad thing. There is a thread created just for the purpose of discussing our new cables and you’re welcome to post any questions or comments you like there about the cables.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Feb 6, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #2,497 of 12,548
Being cautious or skepticle isn’t a bad thing. There is a thread created just for the purpose of discussing our new cables and you’re welcome to post any questions or comments you like there about the cables.

And I have no problem with that thread existing, just that these cables should not be advertised by members of the trade in threads like this and the Utopia/Elear one in order to potentially increase sales.

There is no way anyone will convince me to buy a third party cable for sound quality improvements (yes, I have done personal tests and cannot reliably identify any cable unless there is a big RF/EMI issue for which there are cheap fixes). Improved ergonomics for lowish prices are another matter. I don't like the stock Clear cable for example, too stiff and not a fan of the color either. Very likely I'll swap it to a third party one for better ergonomics.

Good luck with your endeavors though - I'm well aware a lot of people genuinely believe in cables adjusting sound quality and that's fine. Whatever floats one's boat... My experience is different though.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #2,498 of 12,548
And I have no problem with that thread existing, just that these cables should not be advertised by members of the trade in threads like this and the Utopia/Elear one in order to potentially increase sales.

There is no way anyone will convince me to buy a third party cable for sound quality improvements (yes, I have done personal tests and cannot reliably identify any cable unless there is a big RF/EMI issue for which there are cheap fixes). Improved ergonomics for cheap are another matter.

Good luck with your endeavors though - I'm well aware a lot of people believe in cables adjusting sound quality and that's fine to me. My experience is different though. Whatever floats one's boat...

If you want to ask questions or would like more information just jump over to the dedicated thread announcing the new cables and we’ll do our best to answer. @TSAVAlan announced in the thread only because our first pre-production samples were made to fit the Utopia, Clear & Elear. Our next incoming samples are for MrSpeakers & Audeze Headphones. But you’re right, this discussion is better in it’s own thread. Cheers! :)

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Feb 6, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #2,499 of 12,548
Other cable manufacturers don't advertise their stuff on threads like this either, that's all I'm asking for.

You probably would not like the questions I'd have on your cables (blind test results, total bill of materials, scientific principle for adjusting sound quality etc.) or any high end cables for that matter so I will stay out of any such threads... The old objectivist vs. subjectivist thing is as old as this hobby itself. But yeah, let's get back to the Focal Clears instead :)

Feb 6, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #2,500 of 12,548
I understand how some feel the sales pitch should be limited. But you can only read so many “ the Clears are great topics” it’s nice to have a sales pitch, or a cable discussion, and other thoughts just to shake things up.

Feb 6, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #2,501 of 12,548
Other cable manufacturers don't advertise their stuff on threads like this either, that's all I'm asking for.

You probably would not like the questions I'd have on your cables (blind test results, total bill of materials, scientific principle for adjusting sound quality etc.) or any high end cables for that matter so I will stay out of any such threads... The old objectivist vs. subjectivist thing is as old as this hobby itself. But yeah, let's get back to the Focal Clears instead :)

In fact I’m good with ALL relevant questions but to your point let’s take it to it’s thread so as not to cause traffic here :)

It was poor judgement on my part to allow this post here, again my apologies.

Last edited:

Feb 7, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #2,502 of 12,548
Funny how different hearing and impressions about headphones can be. I was not happy with the midrange suckout and muddiness of the Elear so I sold it. I waited until I got a good deal on the Clear and awaiting delivery, I thought this will be my endgame. From what I read about the Clear, this was going to exactly fit my bill. This is going to have more midrange and trebles.

Be careful what you (i.e. me) wish for. It does indeed have more mids, up to an extent that it hurts. I gave it enough time to burn in, but I am not satisfied. I am not a fan of V-shaped signatures, but the mid forwardness of the Clear puzzles me and literally hurts my ears. Some vocals are so 'loud' vs the rest of the spectrum, that my reaction is "shut up!!". Not an ideal feeling about my favorite music....

I can hear that this headphone is all that people say about it, technically brilliant, highly resolving, great bass, but I cannot enjoy it. Almost made me wish I never sold the Elear, even though it is far from perfect. I think the Elear and Clear are totally different headphones.

Similar to what one commentator said earlier, the low end of the LCD3 and the upper registers of the HD800s.... for me the ideal headphone would be the the low end of the Z1R, combined with the mids and trebles of the T1.

Still waiting....

Damn this hobby:triportsad:

Kennerton Odin, supreme bass, supreme resolving mids, smooth but highly detailed bass. 1300€ second hand.

You're welcome :p

Feb 8, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #2,503 of 12,548
I... It also has a particular sound that comes through on everything that I'm playing through them. With the HE1K, if I played 3 different songs on them, they all sounded different - it really let the sound of the source come through uncolored. With the Clears everything seems to have a similar warmth to them. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice pleasant sound and I like it so far, but it does make them a little more monotonous and less engaging from song-to-song. I know they're not in the same price category, but just thought I'd share my first impressions after about a day of listening.

This is a pretty interesting observation. I felt a similar thing. I was curious whether focal uses a special filter. Or that may be because Clear is pretty closer to neutral, so there is not much variation in sound reproduction.

Feb 9, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #2,504 of 12,548
This is a pretty interesting observation. I felt a similar thing. I was curious whether focal uses a special filter. Or that may be because Clear is pretty closer to neutral, so there is not much variation in sound reproduction.
Yes they seem very neutral. Planar magnetic can add a overal warmth that the Clears don’t have. Which can be more enjoyable sometimes. This warmth has a tendency to reduce fine details.

Feb 9, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #2,505 of 12,548
Yes they seem very neutral. Planar magnetic can add a overal warmth that the Clears don’t have. Which can be more enjoyable sometimes. This warmth has a tendency to reduce fine details.

Very true. Which makes me wonder how the clears sound with a tube amp? I have a feeling it might not be a good match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back