Focal Clear headphones
Feb 3, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #2,461 of 12,550
Distortion on bass continues for me after another 24 hours of break-in. Can't listen to any tracks with sub bass at over medium volume without it. Is this normal? I'd say they have over 50 hours of break-in by now (mix of pink noise, frequency sweeps, and classical). Here's one it really struggles with requiring me to turn my volume down to med-low levels.
Is the distortion in both? Try a different headphone. Try a different source. My issue was with only one side crackling.

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #2,462 of 12,550
Is the distortion in both? Try a different headphone. Try a different source. My issue was with only one side crackling.

Okay, let me try the Ether Flows.

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #2,463 of 12,550

Yes, not getting it, if it’s on one side you might have a defective Unit, I’d call the Seller to see about repair/exchange.

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #2,464 of 12,550
Voicing my agreement with this view, I listened to both the HE 1000V2 and the Clear, while the Clear has a stronger bass impact, the HE1000V2 is much more vivid in the mid-range to treble regions and more accurately reflects the song, conveying subtleties and spacial cues and adjusting its presentation to suit the music, rather than imposing a samey, grey character to the music that the Clear does. Clear sounds un-involving in comparison with a lifeless mid-band that makes one want to turn up the volume for more involvement, only to be hit by harshness similar to how the Elear sounds at high volumes (not sure what this is caused by, high excursion factor of the driver combined with modal breakup & narrow staging?). I found that the HD650 with 2017 drivers is also more involving and responsive to what is being fed through it, despite having inferior bass overall, it does sound better at high volumes. HE1000V2 and HD650 really have masterfully judged mid-ranges, capable of sounding both relaxed or intense as the music calls for it, warmer yet more vivid at the same time. As for the Clear, I think its no accident that it was designed with such a colour scheme, it is highly appropriate for the sound it produces, namely grey:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. But seriously, they are indeed capable of playing any genres competently at moderate volumes without harshness or treble spikes & in that regard can be considered genre masters with high clarity and impact, just not my kind of sound.

I listened to all the above transducers amped by the Master 9,Hugo V2, Audiolab M-Dac and Matrix M-Stage (v1) in turns.

One thing to keep in mind though, the Hifiman HE1000 v2 are twice as expensive as the Focal Clear, so it's not really a fair comparison.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #2,466 of 12,550
What do you think? Do you think it's normal to hear distortion from any headphone "over medium" volume? There's something wrong with them. I had the Clear out on loan, and heard absolutely no distortion well "over medium" volume.
It's not and there's nothing as jarring as hearing that sound on headphones of this price. But, what I meant was is it normal during break-in? I'll give it another day.

It's both, though maybe not evenly. I reach for the volume and turn it down immediately upon hearing it, so I haven't really analyzed it too much.

Here's another I can't play at the volume I normally listen to it at (subjective and I don't have a measuring device, but I'd say med-high). Maybe I've just been spoiled by being able to push planar magentics to where I'm getting a nice brain massage.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #2,467 of 12,550
It's not and there's nothing as jarring as hearing that sound on headphones of this price. But, what I meant was is it normal during break-in? I'll give it another day.

It's both, though maybe not evenly. I reach for the volume and turn it down immediately upon hearing it, so I haven't really analyzed it too much.
This issue has been reported with both the Utopia and the Clear, and clearly reported in both threads. It happens. What could you do? Just return them and get another pair.

Feb 4, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #2,468 of 12,550
I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but it seems the Elear and Clear are very similar except the drivers inside. If one had the Elear and was able to buy the drivers from the Clear (for say, $200), is there a reason that you could not just do that and have the same sound as the Clear, for under $1k? Would the be a problem with wiring or shape maybe? I'm not super experienced and figured I would ask.:)

Feb 4, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #2,469 of 12,550
I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but it seems the Elear and Clear are very similar except the drivers inside. If one had the Elear and was able to buy the drivers from the Clear (for say, $200), is there a reason that you could not just do that and have the same sound as the Clear, for under $1k? Would the be a problem with wiring or shape maybe? I'm not super experienced and figured I would ask.:)

Engineering may involve more subtle difference between the two. Also Clear has extra accessaries, case+balanced cable. plus, there is a warranty issue with mod.

Feb 4, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #2,470 of 12,550
Distortion on bass continues for me after another 24 hours of break-in. Can't listen to any tracks with sub bass at over medium volume without it. Is this normal? I'd say they have over 50 hours of break-in by now (mix of pink noise, frequency sweeps, and classical). Here's one it really struggles with requiring me to turn my volume down to med-low levels.

I just tried Kendrick Lamar DNA with the Hugo2 and the LCD-i4, ETHER Flow and Utopia. The song is CRAP with regard to distortion, and yes, the sub bass is terribly distorted in the track.

Have you tried well mastered music with sub bass in order to eliminate the thought that it’s the Clear causing the issue?

Feb 4, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #2,472 of 12,550

The track actually includes bass distortion as well. At around 1:40 there is some really heavy distortion when the bass jacks up, but it sounds more like a reverb type (artistic choice) rather than clipping or mastering anomalies.

it’s a distinct possibility you may be used to listening too loudly but you won’t have a ballpark idea until you measure the output at the earcup (a smartphone app with the phone mic will suffice). If it’s too loud the driver will bottom out on excursion. If not, and with well mastered music, the Clear should not distort (obviously).

Perhaps you aren’t used to hearing these tracks with the resolving capability of the Clear and that’s why you never noticed distortion before I’m not sure how you didn’t notice the distortion in the Kendrick example, having the HE1K previously. To be honest, I’ve come to expect a lot of distortion in modern music because of the loudness wars.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #2,473 of 12,550
I’m not sure how you didn’t notice the distortion in the Kendrick example, having the he1000v2 previously.
I can make out between intentional distortion that is in the track vs my headphones crackling. With the HE1000, the rough bass in the track comes through clearly. I don't hear them crackling like someone scrunching up paper, that's what I'm hearing on the Clears. As others have said, it's a known issue with some units (with Elear and Utopia as well) and the general advice I'm getting is to get them replaced.

EDIT: Going to return this pair, might be faulty or might need more break-in, but at this point I'm just afraid to push them.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #2,474 of 12,550
I can make out between intentional distortion that is in the track vs my headphones crackling. With the HE1000, the rough bass in the track comes through clearly. I don't hear them crackling like someone scrunching up paper, that's what I'm hearing on the Clears. As others have said, it's a known issue with some units (with Elear and Utopia as well) and the general advice I'm getting is to get them replaced.

Good.

I just wanted to make sure you realized the Kendrick song has a lot of distortion in the bass. Didn’t think it was normal as it sounds clearly like clipping in the track to me.

I’ve read every post about the issue in all Focal threads, and it’s either the driver is faulty, the music has clipping, or the listener is bottoming out the driver by listening too loudly. I bring up the loudness because a lot of people listen at levels that is likely damaging their hearing and they think it’s fine, but this will also bottom out the driver. Not saying you are but it’s good to eliminate the obvious for your peace of mind and to help figure this out. The only way to do that is to check. Download a smartphone app and place the phone’s mic at the earcup while playing the music that clips at the volumes you hear it clip. Report back. If you don’t want to then just take it back to your dealer and compare the same track on another pair of Clears. Either way you’ll have peace of mind.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #2,475 of 12,550
Good.

I just wanted to make sure you realized the Kendrick song has a lot of distortion in the bass. Didn’t think it was normal as it sounds clearly like clipping in the track to me.

I’ve read every post about the issue in all Focal threads, and it’s either the driver is faulty, the music has clipping, or the listener is bottoming out the driver by listening too loudly. I bring up the loudness because a lot of people listen at levels that is likely damaging their hearing and they think it’s fine, but this will also bottom out the driver. Not saying you are but it’s good to eliminate the obvious for your peace of mind and to help figure this out. The only way to do that is to check. Download a smartphone app and place the phone’s mic at the earcup while playing the music that clips at the volumes you hear it clip. Report back. If you don’t want to then just take it back to your dealer and compare the same track on another pair of Clears. Either way you’ll have peace of mind.
I actually just tried this with my iPhone 7 Plus running the "Decibel X" app for some fun. I had my Clear playing a lossless version of "Maths" by Deadmau5 at 90 decibels according to the app, (not sure how accurate it really is) the Clear was playing the song perfectly distortion free with a +3 DB boost from 30-80hz. This is a waaaaaaaaaay higher volume than I normally listen at. I also want to note when I was doing my testing I was playing at the 1 minute mark of "Maths" when the sub-bass kicks in.

After my initial test I decided to drop the Clear back to what I normally listen at. According to the the Decibel X app I usually float around the 60-70DB range when listening to music.

Guess it looks like I got a good egg from Focal! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• JML
Back