Focal Clear headphones
Feb 1, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #2,372 of 12,587
I have let the Clear run in continuously for about 10 days and I can now safely say that i don't really have an issue with the top end anymore. Another thing...I found the clamping to be on the moderate to light side, so I gently flexed the headband for a slightly firmer grip, and this has smoothed things out as well sonically. The resolution of inner detail is quite something, and overall probably the best balance of any dynamic headphone that I have listened to.

Hey Beagle. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a purchase of the Clear, but I'm a bit concerned about the soundstage. I've read in a few different reviews that the soundstage is HD650 small. What say you?

My biggest reason for buying open headphones is for the wider, deeper soundstage and airy presentation. If the Clear isn't very close to TOTL in these areas, then maybe I shoud look at closed TOTL like the Eikon or Z1R instead. The Z1R intrigues me because of the wide soundstage in an isolating closed back design.

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #2,374 of 12,587
Be aware that the Z1R has a very distinct sound signature. I would call it a niche headphone. It does some things like not other, bass quality and quantity, and for a closed HP, it does indeed have a relatively large soundstage. But the tonal balance is far from neutral. It's 'thick' sound is not for everyone and every genre. If you listen to a lot of EMD, and pop, it's great. Less so for jazz, acoustic and classical. IMO it sounds veiled with these genres.

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #2,375 of 12,587
Hey Beagle. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a purchase of the Clear, but I'm a bit concerned about the soundstage. I've read in a few different reviews that the soundstage is HD650 small. What say you?

My biggest reason for buying open headphones is for the wider, deeper soundstage and airy presentation. If the Clear isn't very close to TOTL in these areas, then maybe I shoud look at closed TOTL like the Eikon or Z1R instead. The Z1R intrigues me because of the wide soundstage in an isolating closed back design.
Tristan a reviewer returned his Clear and raves about the Z1R. Tyrll a reviewer luvs Clears, not so with the Sony Z1R. . Clears do seem on the smaller size.

Feb 1, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #2,377 of 12,587
Be aware that the Z1R has a very distinct sound signature. I would call it a niche headphone. It does some things like not other, bass quality and quantity, and for a closed HP, it does indeed have a relatively large soundstage. But the tonal balance is far from neutral. It's 'thick' sound is not for everyone and every genre. If you listen to a lot of EMD, and pop, it's great. Less so for jazz, acoustic and classical. IMO it sounds veiled with these genres.

Thanks, I've read an unbelievable amount of contradictory reviews on the Z1R. It seems to be the most polarizing flagship to date.

I do like headphones that sound relatively "speaker like" in regards to dynamics, but they have to be versatile. I listen to everything except metal and opera, so an expensive one trick pony probably wouldn't work out for me. That being said, I do like my B&W P9 which is very dynamic and "fun", so I'm also a bit worried that the Clear might be a bit too thin sounding for my tastes.

I'm beginning to consider the Aeon Open as well. Maybe take the $700ish in savings vs the Clear and Z1R and buy a better amp. It seems to be universally loved, but I'm not sure how much of an upgrade it would be over my P9 in regards to detail retrieval, transparency/clarity, and tonality.

Feb 1, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #2,378 of 12,587
Aeon Open vs Clear seems to be quite the question, doesn't it? Suppose Ether Flow shouldn't be discredited either but when it comes to flagship level performance at a somewhat reasonable buck, these two keep coming up recently.

Feb 1, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #2,379 of 12,587
Aeon Open vs Clear seems to be quite the question, doesn't it? Suppose Ether Flow shouldn't be discredited either but when it comes to flagship level performance at a somewhat reasonable buck, these two keep coming up recently.

I have both, enjoy both, the Clear is more dynamic, the Ether has a bit bigger headstage. I tend to reach for the Clear first, they get far more head time. With the Ether Flow being held for when I want a more relaxed presentation. You really can’t go wrong with either one.

Feb 1, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #2,380 of 12,587

I'm not really the right person to ask about soundstage because it is my view that the actual soundstage is in the recording and will be properly reproduced by two matching drivers. Moving the drivers away from the ear exaggerates this. But a lot of people claim that this is what gives headphones a unique "soundstage" that can only be appreciated (or not) by the particular individual listener.

Feb 1, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #2,381 of 12,587
I have both, enjoy both, the Clear is more dynamic, the Ether has a bit bigger headstage. I tend to reach for the Clear first, they get far more head time. With the Ether Flow being held for when I want a more relaxed presentation. You really can’t go wrong with either one.
Which one would you say is more accurate (true to source)?

Feb 1, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #2,382 of 12,587

I've already read a few comparisons here between the Ether and Clear, but don't recall seeing any direct comparisons between the AFO and the Clear...which I think is a more interesting comparison than the former, being that the AFO seems more universally liked than the Ether and is $700 cheaper than the Clear.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #2,383 of 12,587
Which one would you say is more accurate (true to source)?

Easily, the Clear, the Ether Flow Open, being the more “pleasant” Headphone. For critical listening the Clear definitely get the nod. Plus, they are both superior to the Ether Flow C.

Feb 1, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #2,384 of 12,587
That's good to hear.
A comparison between all three would be quite something as well :beerchug:

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #2,385 of 12,587
I'm not really the right person to ask about soundstage because it is my view that the actual soundstage is in the recording and will be properly reproduced by two matching drivers. Moving the drivers away from the ear exaggerates this. But a lot of people claim that this is what gives headphones a unique "soundstage" that can only be appreciated (or not) by the particular individual listener.

Oh ok..that is an interesting way of looking at it. Thanks anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back