Focal Clear headphones
Jan 20, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #1,981 of 12,550
Does anyone have a DAP recommendations for the Clear? I believe at least one person was using a Fiio X7 mark II with good results (of course, the amp selection makes a difference). I listen to my headphones in multiple areas of my home, so a DAP would be what I use 95% of the time with the Clear.

I'm currently using an LG V20 as a DAP with my Fidelio X2, but I'm planning on upgrading both and may start with the the DAP. I'm looking for an Android DAP that plays FLAC and DSD in their native form while also allowing for streaming. It sounds like the Clear may be a little bright, so I don't want to buy a DAP that adds any glare/brightness. If anyone has experience with a DAP that compliments the Clear, I would appreciate your thoughts. I'm currently leaning towards a DAP with interchangeable amps so I can switch amps if needed to alter the sound to my preference. I know the Clear are efficient, but there are reports of improvement with more powerful amps, so I don't want an under powered DAP.

I've spent some time listening to a few locally available headphones. Having heard the LCD-X and HD800S, I've learned that I want something in between the two and from the reviews I'm reading it sounds like the Clear would fit my preference. I found the LCD-X to be too warm/bassy and although I enjoyed the clarity and soundstage of the HD800S, I found them to be too thin sounding as a result of what I perceived to be a lack of bass (they were both connected to a McIntosh amp that was better than anything I plan to use). I would buy the Clear first, but I know that if I wait I can get it for hundreds less.

Any experience with how the Clear sounds on particular DAPs would be very helpful.

I have X7 ii and very pleased with the combo - AM5 has plenty of power and matches very well Clear, maintaining the detail and clarity of its signature. Before getting AM5 I've had AM1, AM2 and AM3 on X7 1st, AM3A and AM5 later on X7 ii, reading the feedback from FiiO forum I would expect AM5 to be "warm" and with a bit of rolled-off treble, it isn´t !! its a great AMP

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #1,982 of 12,550
Luke Thomas,
I appreciate your feedback. I'm hoping to get by with just the DAP. I've done the DAP and separate amp thing before and found it too cumbersome when moving about. I'm also planning on using the DAP as a music source in both my living room and bedroom systems via a digital out.

Jan 20, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #1,983 of 12,550
Does anyone have a DAP recommendations for the Clear? I believe at least one person was using a Fiio X7 mark II with good results (of course, the amp selection makes a difference). I listen to my headphones in multiple areas of my home, so a DAP would be what I use 95% of the time with the Clear.

I operate in mostly the same manner, with the exception that I have a basement listening room with more permanent equipment that I use occasionally. But I am at least 70% portable.

Sony ZX2 did not have the power for the Clear.

I bought an AK KANN, which absolutely has the power for the Clear... it’s good, and everyone’s tastes vary, but to my taste it’s a shade dry with the Clear. The Clear reveals a bit of edge enhancement in the KANN’s presentation that I’m not fond of. The Clear are so fast, and while I’m not confident they are tonally light, they are certainly tonally natural; KANN is very neutral itself and the net effect with the edge enhancement is a bit too much rosin and not enough resonance in violin for my taste, to use an example.

SP1000Cu (balanced) is a nice match for the Clear, which doesn’t surprise me given the reportedly good pairing with Utopia. Warmer tonally, with the added resonance and more realistic (IMO) decay. The two combined make me think less about recordings, and more about the music; which is generally good, although I feel like I hear less of the recording due to this effect. Bass with this pairing tends towards slightly warm, not as deep or detailed as the Clear can reproduce. Overall power-wise SP1000 drives the Clear well, with just enough headroom; but IMO it’s at its limit. Perhaps this impacts bass performance, or perhaps that’s something more about an interaction with the clear’s impedance/phase. All that said, I really enjoy these two together, they have an extremely analog feel. Unfortunately my SP1000 has an issue so it’s on its way back to AK.

I bought a Hiby R6, I’m hoping is a more full-sounding match than the KANN, with perhaps a shade more analog feel vs the KANN’s unabashed digital clarity. In the meantime, I’m using and enjoying the KANN.

If you buy an X7 or DX200 there’s sure to be an amp module that will drive the Clear. Report back here with Sonics :)

I've spent some time listening to a few locally available headphones. Having heard the LCD-X and HD800S, I've learned that I want something in between the two and from the reviews I'm reading it sounds like the Clear would fit my preference. I found the LCD-X to be too warm/bassy

LCDX changes character with the amp used. It can be warm, or not. It’s a good headphone, but different than Clear.

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #1,984 of 12,550
I have X7 ii and very pleased with the combo - AM5 has plenty of power and matches very well Clear, maintaining the detail and clarity of its signature. Before getting AM5 I've had AM1, AM2 and AM3 on X7 1st, AM3A and AM5 later on X7 ii, reading the feedback from FiiO forum I would expect AM5 to be "warm" and with a bit of rolled-off treble, it isn´t !! its a great AMP

Paulo,
You're feedback is very helpful! I was looking at both the AM5 and AM3A amps for the X7 II and was trying to get a feeling for the pros and cons of each. Could you tell me what you thought the differences were between the sound of the two? Also, did you have a chance to compare the AM5 to the balanced output of the AM3A?

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #1,985 of 12,550
I operate in mostly the same manner, with the exception that I have a basement listening room with more permanent equipment that I use occasionally. But I am at least 70% portable.

I bought an AK KANN, which absolutely has the power for the Clear... it’s good, and everyone’s tastes vary, but to my taste it’s a shade dry with the Clear. The Clear reveals a bit of edge enhancement in the KANN’s presentation that I’m not fond of. The Clear are so fast, and while I’m not confident they are tonally light, they are certainly tonally natural; KANN is very neutral itself and the net effect with the edge enhancement is a bit too much rosin and not enough resonance in violin for my taste, to use an example.

SP1000Cu (balanced) is a nice match for the Clear, which doesn’t surprise me given the reportedly good pairing with Utopia. Warmer tonally, with the added resonance and more realistic (IMO) decay. The two combined make me think less about recordings, and more about the music; which is generally good, although I feel like I hear less of the recording due to this effect. Bass with this pairing tends towards slightly warm, not as deep or detailed as the Clear can reproduce. Overall power-wise SP1000 drives the Clear well, with just enough headroom; but IMO it’s at its limit. Perhaps this impacts bass performance, or perhaps that’s something more about an interaction with the clear’s impedance/phase. All that said, I really enjoy these two together, they have an extremely analog feel. Unfortunately my SP1000 has an issue so it’s on its way back to AK.

I bought a Hiby R6, I’m hoping is a more full-sounding match than the KANN, with perhaps a shade more analog feel vs the KANN’s unabashed digital clarity. In the meantime, I’m using and enjoying the KANN.

If you buy an X7 or DX200 there’s sure to be an amp module that will drive the Clear. Report back here with Sonics :)

LCDX changes character with the amp used. It can be warm, or not. It’s a good headphone, but different than Clear.

The KANN is an excellent option

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #1,986 of 12,550
Loplop,
I would definitely like a DAP with a more analog sound. I've compared my LG V20 to a friend's Pono Player, and although I liked the quieter background of the V20, the Pono sounded better overall because it sounded less sharp to my ears.

I use a Butler Audio amp (solid state with tube for output stage) for my home system because I found that it has a smoother presentation than some solid state amps that I compared it directly to. I'm sensitive to any sibilance/sharpness, so I appreciate your letting me know what to avoid with the Clear.

The HiBy R6 looks interesting. I wish there was some impressions of the sound.

I don't doubt that the Kann is a great player, but I'm looking to keep the price under $1,500 with $700-1,100 being my preferred price range.

Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #1,987 of 12,550

I'm currently using an LG V20 as a DAP with my Fidelio X2, but I'm planning on upgrading both and may start with the the DAP. I'm looking for an Android DAP that plays FLAC and DSD in their native form while also allowing for streaming. It sounds like the Clear may be a little bright, so I don't want to buy a DAP that adds any glare/brightness. If anyone has experience with a DAP that compliments the Clear, I would appreciate your thoughts. I'm currently leaning towards a DAP with interchangeable amps so I can switch amps if needed to alter the sound to my preference. I know the Clear are efficient, but there are reports of improvement with more powerful amps, so I don't want an under powered DAP.

I've spent some time listening to a few locally available headphones. Having heard the LCD-X and HD800S, I've learned that I want something in between the two and from the reviews I'm reading it sounds like the Clear would fit my preference. I found the LCD-X to be too warm/bassy and although I enjoyed the clarity and soundstage of the HD800S, I found them to be too thin sounding as a result of what I perceived to be a lack of bass (they were both connected to a McIntosh amp that was better than anything I plan to use). I would buy the Clear first, but I know that if I wait I can get it for hundreds less.

Any experience with how the Clear sounds on particular DAPs would be very helpful.

I can recommend the FiiO X7ii, the A&K 240 and the Shannling M3S with Chord Mojo.
I travel with the latter quiet frequently

Cheers

A

Jan 20, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #1,988 of 12,550
It’s not a huge roll-off in the upper treble, and many headphones have similar behavior. Yes, there is a lot to like in the Clear. I like them far more than the Elear. They aren’t perfect, but they are damned good.
I agree. I could live happily with the Clear.

Jan 20, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #1,989 of 12,550
I am with you here. The clear scales up pretty well. It is true, low impedance headphones, just in terms of volume, can be driven with a phone or a laptop. But in terms of sound improvement (details, micro details, soundstage, tighter bass, etc) they do scale up.

My clear with my iPhone 7 sounds good, with my ifi micro idsd black label sounds spectacular, and with my ifi iCan pro It blows my mind.

If someone gets this headphones with the intention of using them without proper amplification, just because they are low impedance, is not taking full advantage of them.
Clear sounds pretty good from my Hugo. But I am unsure whether that is because it has better DAC or AMP section than my macpro.

I don't think Clear is power hungry like some planars. I guess it is more of a matching problem rather than a 'power' problem.

I’ve been thinking a lot about this and personally I would word it differently. I would turn it around and say that headphones don’t scale with better equipment, they reveal better equipment. The better the headphone then the more quality they reveal. Nothing actually fundamentally changes in the headphone for the headphone itself to ‘scale’.

Every headphone needs its own amount of Voltage and Current to reach a certain SPL (loudness), and their potential ability to move quickly and with low distortion (quality) never changes from amp to amp. The headphones always have the same potential to sound as good as they can, and that factor of the audio chain doesn’t ever change with different gear (scale up). However, if the headphone has a lot of coloration and distortion then the differences between gear will be masked somewhat by this and will not have the same potential to reveal better source gear.

So I would say a great headphone has great potential to showcase better source gear, rather than this headphone scales well with better source gear. Conversely, I would say a poor headphone has a low potential to reveal quality source gear.

That’s just me and how I would logically describe what’s actually going on. Imagine how much more helpful and interesting the conversations would be instead of the same old comments of just ‘proper power’ while ignoring tuning/synergy and quality. YMMV, don’t mind me, carry on, BBQ....

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #1,990 of 12,550
Paulo,
You're feedback is very helpful! I was looking at both the AM5 and AM3A amps for the X7 II and was trying to get a feeling for the pros and cons of each. Could you tell me what you thought the differences were between the sound of the two? Also, did you have a chance to compare the AM5 to the balanced output of the AM3A?

AM3 balanced was my preferred amp on X7 1st. I wouldn't buy another amp other than AM3A on X7 2nd if it wasn’t because of Clear. The single ended output of AM3A doesn’t have enough power to drive properly Clear on many lower volume recorded tracks, mostly hd tracks and DSD - I had to push volume up to 90% and at lower volumes it wasn’t that fun. I don't have a 2.5mm TRRS balanced cable for Clear and I don’t think I need it, AM5 has plenty of power and maybe consequently a bit of more body, making lower volume auditioning more enjoyable.

A couple of times recently I double checked this, comparing AM3A (SE) and AM5 on Focal Clear and its consistent, AM5 its a better option. It would be nice to see Focal introducing a new 2.5mm TRRS balanced cable for Clear, or maybe a 4.4mm BAL since FiiO is cooking a new AMP for X7 with that connection (some prototype pictures already showing).

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #1,992 of 12,550
I’ve been thinking a lot about this and personally I would word it differently. I would turn it around and say that headphones don’t scale with better equipment, they reveal better equipment. The better the headphone then the more quality they reveal. Nothing actually fundamentally changes in the headphone for the headphone itself to ‘scale’.
I agree.The headphone can only stay transparent in and of itself. It will not change character to appear to be better when used with better gear.

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #1,993 of 12,550
Would you pm me the site you got them from as well?

Maybe not the site... I got mine at 1250 euro (1500 Eur MSRP) since the invoice was issued to my company, no VAT in intra communitarian transactions.

If I deduct 150 for the case and 150 to the 2 extra cables, Clear itself cost was 950???
BIG DEEEEAAAAAAAALLLLLL! :)
Regards

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #1,994 of 12,550
Loplop,
I would definitely like a DAP with a more analog sound.

I'm sensitive to any sibilance/sharpness, so I appreciate your letting me know what to avoid with the Clear.

The HiBy R6 looks interesting. I wish there was some impressions of the sound.

I don't doubt that the Kann is a great player, but I'm looking to keep the price under $1,500 with $700-1,100 being my preferred price range.

Thanks

KANN is $999. Itself, the KANN doesn’t add sibilance or sharpness, as you define it; but it will certainly present those if they are in your source. So, in that way, it’s not as forgiving as some players.

That said, I don’t find it sharp or irritating, and I’m seriously sensitive to treble issues. But it does tend to present detail vs bloom and decay, so IMO it’s not ideal for unamplified string instruments.

I’m nitpicking, though. It’s a lively and enjoyable listen. And I’d actually call it a pretty analog sounding player... just not the warm analog of my tape and LP youth. But it definitely doesn’t give one nasty digititis :) Nor does it flesh out the very neutral Focal Clear, which is why we’re gnashing our teeth over best pairing :)

I’ll let you know about the Hiby/Clear, but it may not ship for some time...

Jan 21, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #1,995 of 12,550
Am I the only one who think a very low bass extension is slightly uneven?
I use Janet Jackson's Night, 2:50-3:40. I like this song as it extends quit a bit in both direction and reveals staging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back