Focal Clear headphones
Jan 19, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #1,951 of 12,543
Sometimes you're a wealth of information, and sometimes you come off as quite juvenile and immature.

Why was that response necessary?

Thanks for recognizing my attempts at being a supporting member of the community. I suppose at times you could find my position puzzling or contrary to your positions.

I see no reason to work ones self into a frenzy over an unknown and I don’t see any reason to put those suppositions out there as though they are facts.

In this case it started with me giving Focals marketing decision and once again it’s me that got targeted with the challenge. I’m not Focal and it isn’t me that makes their decisions.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jan 19, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #1,952 of 12,543
I may be in the minority here but I'm finding the Clear a tad bright and distant. And I'm still hearing a bit of that Elear 'dry area' in the upper mid/lower treble, which would seem to cause the contrast that makes the top a bit bright. On the plus side, the sound is quite balanced overall and nothing really irritating going on. Significant improvement over the Elear IMO.

Add me to the minority list :) One of my main issue with Clear was the sucked out presence (which actually helps in other strengths of Clear, like the dynamics and body of tone) which seems, to me, creates a gap from mids to treble. Depending on the type of music, I heard disconnected treble that could be perceived as tingy sound that stands out. I think it also changes how the spatial cues and decay are presented. Depending on the type of music, I can understand this perspective. Actually, I recently auditioned HE-4xx and it had similar issues (although, overall few notches step back from Clear). I'm thinking this might be the preferred tuning nowadays.

Especially at times when hype is at its max it's important to not get too carried away with it. The fact I'm still likely to buy them despite this (to my head shape) flaw speaks volumes of how much I appreciate their sound quality. Now of course for others with different head sizes this issue might not be an issue at all, but just by reading through this thread it's pretty obvious I'm not the only one with these concerns. Fact is that 450 grams is heavy for a dynamic design - there are even a lot of lighter planar magnetics out there and weight is usually one of the main drawbacks of that technology..

In my earlier post, I mentioned my head width just above my ears to be roughly 7in and the Clear's clamp felt too strong for me. I think that we need to begin to put some numbers to this comfort issue (although it will not be perfect, it's better than "oh I have a large head"). It was also very heavy and I was more comfortable with HD800. Now I have taken a big step to Utopia (thanks to TSAV guys) and surprisingly the weight/clamp has been less of an issue, even with the increased weight. I think the main thing with Clear was somehow the combined effect of headband design/strength and pad stiffness that contributed to the "on my head" discomfort.

Well, now I'm a happy listener with Utopia. No sucked out presence, comfortable, and the Focal sound that I come to like thanks to the Clear :)

Jan 19, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #1,953 of 12,543
Focal sold plenty of Elear and Utopias. Focal recieved much feedback from owners about the comfort. Most have said the comfort was good. It took me about 30 good hours on my head spread out over two weeks to eliminate any discomfort. Focal has a large team of engineers that know what they are doing. Give them time. I believe comfort will be fine.

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #1,954 of 12,543
In my earlier post, I mentioned my head width just above my ears to be roughly 7in and the Clear's clamp felt too strong for me. I think that we need to begin to put some numbers to this comfort issue (although it will not be perfect, it's better than "oh I have a large head"). It was also very heavy and I was more comfortable with HD800. Now I have taken a big step to Utopia (thanks to TSAV guys) and surprisingly the weight/clamp has been less of an issue, even with the increased weight. I think the main thing with Clear was somehow the combined effect of headband design/strength and pad stiffness that contributed to the "on my head" discomfort.

Good example of how subjective things like an optimal amount of clamping pressure can be. Just like the HD 600/650 have been infamous for ages as some just can´t stand their grip while others take steps to bend the headband (for my head shape the clamp is one of the main reasons they are so comfortable). For me the Clear clamp was decent, but it would be more comfortable if there was a bit more. I have to use them almost at the smallest size option so they don´t get much added clamp from the bend shape. Utopia on the other hand basically slides off my head as soon as I make certain movements and I´m not all that convinced I´m even getting a perfect seal either (this is on the smallest setting). In comparison you have to set the HD 800 series a couple of steps higher size from minimum to reach even the smallest Utopia setting. As with all headphones, always audition first or buy from a place that allows returns :)

Jan 19, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #1,955 of 12,543
my two cents
First, thank you @Tyll Hertsens for another great recommendation video

My Clear arrived 2 days ago and I tried it with a Nagra HD DAC and Chord DAVE. It was a little more comfortable within the first hour than my Utopia. The sound from the start was noticeably smoother than any top headphone out of the box. The sound is superb from these headphone amps. Next, what I intended to use this Clear for in my office. An iPhone X using the dongle. Nice!
At 60% volume, the Clear was loud enough for most music types. At 75% volume, enough for 1812 and organ music. Played all day (8 hours) in the office at 60%, the power level on the iPhone X only went down 15%. The Clear had no noticeable distortion when used with the iPhone X. Of course the subtleties and extremes are not as apparent as when driven by reference amps, the Clear was definitely engineered to excel with top smart phones. It sounded great with my friend's Samsung s8 as well.
At $1225, i think it is a great bargain.

paul
IMG_7287 2.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #1,956 of 12,543
Good example of how subjective things like an optimal amount of clamping pressure can be. Just like the HD 600/650 have been infamous for ages as some just can´t stand their grip while others take steps to bend the headband (for my head shape the clamp is one of the main reasons they are so comfortable). For me the Clear clamp was decent, but it would be more comfortable if there was a bit more. I have to use them almost at the smallest size option so they don´t get much added clamp from the bend shape. Utopia on the other hand basically slides off my head as soon as I make certain movements and I´m not all that convinced I´m even getting a perfect seal either (this is on the smallest setting). In comparison you have to set the HD 800 series a couple of steps higher size from minimum to reach even the smallest Utopia setting. As with all headphones, always audition first or buy from a place that allows returns :)

Indeed, I have bent my HD600 and HD800 is slightly on the looser side. My head is bigger, lol. At least I'll know what to make out if I see your clamp comment in future cans :) One of the benefits of this forum to narrow in. Better if you can audition though.

Jan 19, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #1,957 of 12,543
I was considering the Clear Professional as well when I saw the leak. The thing is, I’m not sure:

1) How accurate is the leak
2) When the Clear Professional (if it’s true) will be available
3) How much will it be
4) Whether I would like the sound

I could still return my Clear and wait it out for the uncertainty. But I do enjoy the Clear so much right now that I’m relunctant to go back to the waiting list.
+1.

I think out of Focal's budget for R&D in regards to the Clear they did a phenomenal job. With that said, I am glad that they can give you the SQ of the Clear for $1500.

I like that they listened to the customers from the Elear drop and in return, the Clear comes with the 3 cords (2 single ended and 1 balanced) and a very classy and functional carrying case.

I would rather enjoy what they did right (because its really impressive) than wishing for the small things it is not.

I hope potential and current Clear owners enjoy this headphone. I think its amazing the way it is.

Jan 19, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #1,959 of 12,543
Jan 19, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #1,961 of 12,543
Add me to the minority list :) One of my main issue with Clear was the sucked out presence (which actually helps in other strengths of Clear, like the dynamics and body of tone) which seems, to me, creates a gap from mids to treble. Depending on the type of music, I heard disconnected treble that could be perceived as tingy sound that stands out. I think it also changes how the spatial cues and decay are presented. Depending on the type of music, I can understand this perspective.
Yes, I think you've marked it well....it's a gap between the midrange and treble. If that were evened out, I'd probably not notice anything at all awry with the treble.To my ears, the Clear sounds a bit distant compared to the Diana, the Z1R and the AEON closed. I realize that two of these are closed but the mids are about in the same spot on all three. I find the spatial presentation (partially creating by the mid/treble gap) of the Clear works well with recordings with big soundscapes/stages, but not so well with more intimate fare.

Jan 19, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #1,963 of 12,543
Add me to the minority list :) One of my main issue with Clear was the sucked out presence (which actually helps in other strengths of Clear, like the dynamics and body of tone) which seems, to me, creates a gap from mids to treble. Depending on the type of music, I heard disconnected treble that could be perceived as tingy sound that stands out. I think it also changes how the spatial cues and decay are presented. Depending on the type of music, I can understand this perspective. Actually, I recently auditioned HE-4xx and it had similar issues (although, overall few notches step back from Clear). I'm thinking this might be the preferred tuning nowadays.

Well, now I'm a happy listener with Utopia. No sucked out presence, comfortable, and the Focal sound that I come to like thanks to the Clear :)

I’m not hearing the disconnect between the midrange and the treble, I’d Love to hear from other folks, is this the case for you? What are you using as a source, do you prefer the hotter treble of the Utopia?

Jan 19, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #1,964 of 12,543
Jan 19, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #1,965 of 12,543
I’m not hearing the disconnect between the midrange and the treble, I’d Love to hear from other folks, is this the case for you? What are you using as a source, do you prefer the hotter treble of the Utopia?

I didn't hear any disconnect either. The Clear ware, in my mind, far more detailed than were the Elears, and the mid-range is better balanced. And the transitions from mid-range to treble sounded fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back